Engine runs good then falls on its face

I have a 1995 180 50th Anniversary Edition that i just purchased. It has been sitting for a couple of years, i put it on the lake yesterday and it started right up idles great and ran great for about 10 minutes and then started to hesitate or bog down like it was starving for fuel or a serious misfire. If i backed it off to an idle and then accelerated back it would for for a few seconds to minutes then do the same thing. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Try replacing the fuel filter, it sounds like it could be water in the fuel. If that works, it may take a few filters to get the rest of the water out of the fuel. Let us know what you find out!
    2008 330EC
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    x2 what aero said sounds like fuel/ filter problem. gas does not last very long, 
    Boat Name : 

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 fuel filter a couple times 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe even drain the tanks and fill fresh. If you had fuel with ethanol on it from 2 years ago it may be easier than burning through it. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    if you just purchased the boat, get your check book back out and tune it up. plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor button, fuel filter, oil, oil filter. if it's carburetor, don't forget the filter in the carburetor behind the fuel line.  check the flame arrester to make sure it's clean. if it has been sitting for awhile, either completely fill the tank with fresh fuel and some fuel treatment for water removal, or pump it empty and start fresh. while your at it, check your gear lube in the outdrive.

me personally, i always like to start a new to me boat with fresh fluids and fresh tune up. at least that way, i know where i started. good luck