RInker 390 - Pulling the Ice Maker and replacing with a cabinet

JPCRUZEJPCRUZE Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
My ice maker is done and after inspection is not worth the cost to fix and I am not willing to drop $1000 on a new one. Has anyone pulled their ice maker and found an insert to turn that in to an open cabinet with a shelf? The thought being that I take up the same amount of space with a cabinet type insert with a shelf that I can just stack two small yeti coolers. This gives me the option of grabbing one and taking the dinghy out and also doubles my quantity of storable ice. 

Would love to hear if you all have found any already built inserts for that space or know who can fabricate one for me. 

JP

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There a company that's makes to order some guys gave used, don't remember the name but some will chime in and give you the info
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to do the same thing
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

I'm surprised you weren't able to fix it cheaper with just some parts.  I've worked on a few of them and most were fixable for a couple hundred bucks.  But, if you don't use it, then go with the cooler method.  We just got done with a 17-day trip on the boat today and yesterday my wife mentioned to me how nice it is to have the icemaker (cause ice will stay cool when not opened and then with generator on the hook we can always have some ice).  I'm sure others will be interested in seeing what you come up, please post pictures.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• JPCRUZEJPCRUZE Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Good Point, I could have been getting sold a bill of goods. I don't have the technical abilities to fix it but the estimate I got was more than I thought it was worth. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    How much was the estimate? What did he say was wrong with it?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try boatoutfitters.com. They make some custom doors and more.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have thought it would be nice to have an icemaker where the cooler now fits on the 270 (which I don't use, stack bottled water there) and have seen a couple nice conversions of that space...so I had thought the ice maker you would only use water while hooked up at the marina- we don't drink the on board fresh water, so I assume the ice maker must be using that?? We do the cooler with the ice but it is something we are always stepping around....1500 bucks, guess I keep stepping!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely look in to fixing it first. A valve is around $30, the Ice maker itself is over $200. As asked above what is wrong with it? If it stays cold but wont make ice at least keep it as a freezer. We really didnt care about the ice maker in buying our 342, it was a nice to have, now that we have had it we can't imagine owning a boat without one. Love it. Also think about resale, you dont want to make it too weird when a buyer is comparing your boat to other, similar, Rinkers. When thinking about the costs of owning and operating a 40' boat replacing the ice maker is not a huge expense. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You couldn't have pried the our ice ice maker out of our COLD dead hands. nearby slip mates would have cried too. IMO one of the best features of the Rinkers is the cockpit ice maker. IMO that's one of the things that separates Rinker from the "others"........MT live from Aruba.....livin' the boating dream through you guys. Speaking of Dream.....Nice cruise Dream and LaRea. Thank you for the pictures.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. The overall assessment was essentially an overhaul. (Pump, Compressor It will not get cold and will not make ice obviously. Ice Maker Module, Compressor, and Circulation Pump. Thanks for the advice

• louscaglouscag Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I ordered an access door from Great Lakes Skipper for around 100 dollars it was a perfect fit so I did not cut the fiberglass 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Michael T said:
    You couldn't have pried the our ice ice maker out of our COLD dead hands. nearby slip mates would have cried too. IMO one of the best features of the Rinkers is the cockpit ice maker. IMO that's one of the things that separates Rinker from the "others"........MT live from Aruba.....livin' the boating dream through you guys. Speaking of Dream.....Nice cruise Dream and LaRea. Thank you for the pictures.

MT, Thank you!  Between the two trips between us, we hit over 1000 miles!  That is really what Rinker boating is all about!

Enjoy Aruba!  You definitely deserve it buddy!  Some day I want to have a nice cold one with you as well!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    JPCRUZE said:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. The overall assessment was essentially an overhaul. (Pump, Compressor It will not get cold and will not make ice obviously. Ice Maker Module, Compressor, and Circulation Pump. Thanks for the advice

A freon leak will cause the compressor not to run. Could it be a leak in the system? There is no "circulation pump" so not sure what you mean by that. I found my module on Ebay for $60.00. A new maker is about $1500.00. A good tech can fix this for a lot cheaper...... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    @raybo3 Thanks much, I will keep investigating