Auto pilot

How much is involved in rigging an autopilot?  Got a 270 FV.  Do I need a pump? 

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search @LaRea thread on auto pilot
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • NL_SaltyNL_Salty Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the comments and links.  I'll check it out some more.  appreciated.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I"m not sure I'm good with cars driving themselves, I know I'm not good with boats! Might be better than some of the dumb dumbs that do drive them now that I think about it...
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury - you should try it sometime.  You might like it.  The captain is ALWAYS in charge of the vessel, even with autopilot.  The AP just handles some of the busy-work so the captain can focus on navigation and lookout.  

I mean, your car has a computer, right?  (Well, probably ...)  You don't calculate the voltage sent to the fuel injectors.  The computer figures it out based on how hard you press the gas pedal, but the computer isn't driving the car.  Same with autopilot.  It just makes things easier.  
    I thought it was like in a plane or something...plot the course and then walk away from the helm.....that would have to be on my lottery boat!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ras, here's the problem. I had a cruiser set to auto pilot. However the auto pilot is only as good as the chart chip it reads. That's why they say to never leave the helm. The GPS/Chart Plotter was going to take us between two islands (something that always makes me wary). I knew that channel. You have about 4 meters leeway before you hit rocks on either side. If you read the disclaimers on GPS/Radar?\Auto Pilot units many say +/- 3 or 4 meters...... I canceled the auto pilot and went around one of the islands. Then there's sand islands, sand bars, harbor entrances that shift with tides, storms etc. no substitute for a captain at the helm. IMO auto pilot and Axius auto heading are great to relieve fatigue on the captain as long as he/she stays at the helm.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorta like the guy i read about a few years ago that rented a big RV, put it on "cruise control" on the Interstate and then went aft to make a sandwich.....the remarkable part is how far he actually got before the disaster happened...
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    lots of variables for sure...heck, I don't go that far anyway....!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AUTOPILOT ... DOES ... NOT ... EVER ... substitute for a human who is in charge of the boat.  The captain keeps "eyes-on horizon" always.   

Here's the more common use of AP:  at no-wake speed, when the boat wants to wander back and forth like a drunk sailor, the AP will patiently sit there sawing the steering wheel back-and-forth to keep a steady heading.  So easy!  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a 25 mile trip Sunday out to Block Island RI, when I look forward I think strait,when I look back my wake looks like an salmon course. Also did not make a route, when I go back to look at my track it could of been better. Auto pilot would of made me a better caption.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Auto pilot with set waypoints to keep out of danger, set it and I watch the radar and my surroundings never leaving the helm unless stopped. Nice and relaxing