Rinker 270 cabin door bangs in choppy seas

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
Has anyone experienced their cabin door making a banging sound when closed and underway in very choppy seas?  It only died it sometimes but it's annoying. I don't like to leave the door open when underway. Is there any adjustment or other remedy to make it more solid? 

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    IF that door is 'banging" against the frame you need to fix that fast as those doors can crack/shatter and are extremely hard to replace. You should be able to lock it in the closed or open position. Open via a flip down chrome "lever" with a black rubber protective cover over the tip. Closed via the built-in latch at the door edge. If it still bangs in either of these positions you either need to adjust the track, buy some rubber stops available at any hardware store or pick better boating weather.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you looked at the tracks? Sounds like perhaps some of the fasteners have come loose and allow it to bang around......having done a lot of work on mine, if it is all in the tracks as it should be and all the fasteners there, I don't see anyway it should bang at all under any condition....
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Tracks are tight. The latches work fine too. It's just somewhat loose on the top track. Maybe just wear and tear on the plastic glides that ride in the track. It is quiet if I ride with the door open. Might try Michaels idea of rubber stops to make it tighter when latched. Easy thing to try. Or better weather days! 
    On the top you have a couple of screws at both ends- the ones under the help you have to take the gauges out to get to those if they have knocked themselves loose or perhaps the guide is broken. Not to bad to get in there and figure out.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On some models there is also a white block with screws in it that reinforces the helm by the steps. It is on the starboard upper side of the doorway to the cabin. If that is loose  it might affect the track.
    Ras thanks. I think the screws way under the helm could be loose but I wasn't sure how to get at them.  I will remove the gauges to get to them.  That could do it! 
    I had a lot of issues with my door- was really tight. You may find the bottom track on the end is not tight- what I figured out was the floor is curved- if you tighten the base to the floor, the tracks are no longer parallel - perhaps there were some shims from the factory that came loose- I put some washers under I until the door worked smoothly. There is a nylon type part that runs in a track and if has worn out and come out of the track- your issue!
    Great ideas. Heading down tomorrow to try these and see if I can't tighten up the door