Gimbal Ring

So my mechanic says the gimbal ring is shot. $1900 to fix. He's pulling the engine. I want to clean and paint the engine bay. What should I use?

2001 Captiva 232 w/Bravo 3

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @davidbrooks - I believe David just did his and the pictures showed a really nice clean look.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    So i scrubbed the #$%$ out of the engine compartment with Purple power degreaser.  Got a big bottle from Walmart for ~$13.  Then used Interlux Bilgecoat.  https://www.westmarine.com/buy/interlux--bilgekote-enamel--P004_121_004_008?recordNum=1.  $40 at West Marine.  Even though the engines were pulled it is tough to not get it on hoses and wires.  This is really just a gloss white enamel.  Have plenty of rags for drips and paint cleaner.  I would also tape up as much as possible.  Last word of advice is that i did 3 coats.  2 to cover and one after the engines were back in as the mechanics footprints kind of messed it up.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind is that you will be working around your mechanic. He will be in there getting the old ring out and the new one in. Then he will want to get the engine back in. Make sure he is willing to work with you on the painting of the engine bay. My guy wouldn't mind one doing cleaning, but probably not the painting. He would want to get the job done.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    My guy said not a problem to paint. Not sure how long he will need once the engine is out.
    Give it a good 3 hot dry days to dry before he gets back in or he will track paint out onto your deck.  Even then i recommend moving blankets as the first thing he stands on.  My mechanic was the same way.  Loved the fact i was cleaning out all the junk and painting it.  So he didn't have to work in bilge slime.

Update. The engine was pulled last week. Brought the boat home and finished painting the bilge/engine compartment. What a pita. Only because items that I didn't want to remove. Attached are pics of the progress. I bought 2 quarts of Intrlux Bilgekote and only needed one. I have one unopened available if anyone is interested. $20

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think you can ship paint. Hazardous material
    Its only 21 hours from you. Worth the trip
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    The bilge looks great @ruggerole !  So much better than before!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks GREAT!
    2008 330EC
    Looks great. I wouldn't get rid of your extra yet. I found myself needing a food amount of touch up after engines were back in.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That brightened her up!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    That looks so much better. I was never a fan of that stringy looking spatter coat.

I have about 1/3 of the original quart left. I still need to paint the starboard aft battery area. Figure I will tackle that in the spring when the batteries are out.

I picked a nice warm sunny Saturday/Sunday to do it. The only problem was it was windy and I live in the woods. Every falling leaf found its way into the work area. Had to pick leaves out of wet paint and touch up. Also bees must like paint smell. Looks good though

Update: So my mechanic still hasn't got the engine reinstalled. Good thing I rushed to get the engine compartment painted. He says not to worry, if he doesn't get to it, he will shrinkwrap it and store it for free. Not a bad deal I guess. But I did have a concrete slab poured in September. Could have waited on that too.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey, chalk it up! Just think, maybe while it is in storage, a tree falls across your slab this winter and would have destroyed your boat!

OK, here's the latest. Kind of getting under my skin.

I took the boat out of the water in early September to get the gimbal ring fixed. My mechanic took the engine out and told me that I had the weekend to paint the engine compartment. Got it back to him the following Monday. Absolutely no progress from him since. I've called him a few times and his excuse is that he's been busy winterizing others boats. Meanwhile my boat sits in his yard with only the mooring cover. Its getting winter like this Wednesday and my boat sits without any shrink-wrap. He has said that he wont charge me storage if he can't get to it until spring. I keep calling him to ask when he might as I would like to get the batteries out. What a friggin nightmare

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's very frustrating. It sounds like you dont have any options
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ruggerole how is the paint job holding up after two seasons?  Are you happy with BilgeKote?  Anything you'd have done differently?  
    The BilgeKote is holding up perfectly. Cleaned everything with a de-greaser first and power washed. Dried for 24 hours with the engine hatch open. Painted with a small roller and brush. Turned out great. 2 years later it is still holding up nice. It will net dirty but a quick rinse and wipe and it looks new again. Highly recommend it.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, no sanding? Just degreaser?