New (to us) boat pics and questions

Wife and I bought a '03 342 and had it delivered from NH. Had a few things done while it was out of the water, and now we're ready to enjoy the rest of the summer here in GA.  You guys have already helped both of us tremendously already, but we still have plenty of questions.  B)

Among the pictures is a picture of the swim platform.  On the swim platform, on the port side about 6" from the boat, there is a small (~3/16") hole in the swim platform.  Water stays puddled on the swim platform there. Does anyone have that issue?  I don't know if the PO drilled the hole to try and drain the water, or if the water comes up through the hole to wet the platform.

On the radar arch, there are a couple of spider web cracks.  You can see at least one above the tv in one of the pictures.  Is the radar arch painted or powder coated?  What have you guys done to get rid of the spider web cracks? Has anyone had the whole arch painted or powder coated?

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like that hole was drilled to drain that puddling water. You could always put a fake snap or screw there to make it more asthetically pleasing than a drill hole, or there are likely more professional looking drains that you can install in that spot. Did you have a survey done? I believe with the exception of the swim platform stringers the platform is solid glass so there should not be any wood or foam to rot in there from the drill hole. Hopefully that hole is not in one of the stringers. The survey would or should have found any rot or delamination there and flagged it so if it's solid I would either make the drain more pro looking or put in a fake screw. The arches are coated aluminum which is not glorious. Most of us have some kind of chipping or spider cracks in the coating. I have just some
    minor chips so I had some paint made to match color at Home Depot and touched it up. Yours looks more extensive. You could have a pro shop fill that and recoat the arch, that's the right way but expensive, but you likely can get away with chipping out anything loose, filling any voids with caulk and then touching up. Really your call. Good looking boat, enjoy!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the arch is Gelcoat not paint
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.  I have the same boat and year as you.  The PO put in synthetic decking on my swim platform so cant help you there but i do have the spider cracks on the radar arch...pretty bad actually.  I was going to sand it down to the metal to investigate this winter but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.  Spent too much this summer.  The cracks on mine are beyond fine spider cracks and almost look like I could chip away parts of gelcoat.  A new radar arch is $2400.  My thought is that i could remove it and have it sand blasted, repaired if needed and painted a lot cheaper.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2003 310 with similar arch blemishes, having a boat guy fix over the winter. Also plan to remove the arch track and replace as there are a few broken pieces.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That drilled drain hole really should have been more towards the corner of the platform.  I had one added at each corner. Common water puddle place. 

The arch is aluminum framed. Painted.  Spider cracks are common. The SS screws used to hold the arch track in place can cause paint blistering too. 

Great boat though!  Congrats!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Al said they were all gelcoated
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Great boat!  Love the name and what a great slip. 

I have the exact problem of water puddling up.  I thought about a hole but wasnt sure if it would cause damage.

@Black_Diamond did you just drill holes or did you do other steps? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Mine had a much bigger hole in that location. It looked like it was factory. When I put the SeaDek on it obviously covered it and I always had a puddle there. I ended up drilling the seadek to help it drain
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Al said they were all gelcoated
    Thanks.  I don't know Al. I did find a reply here where an Al said the arch was painted aluminum.  Is this the same Al?

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3959/radar-arch-cracks

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep same Al!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Hmmmmmm. Seems a conflict
    I have never seen paint come off in chunks unless its gelcoat. Dont know what the correct answer is. Al is a ghost right now
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an '03 for ten years.  The hole in the platform is a drain hole.  Some were not properly sealed, and allowed water into the structure.  If the platform doesn't feel soft or springy by now, you'll be fine.   

People here refer to @Alswagg with reverence ... he was one of Rinker's lead engineers back in the day.  He personally helped design many of our boats and the processes to build them.  
  • SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info and the kind words.  We're excited to spend the rest of the Georgia summer (which sometimes goes well into November).  We'll keep researching the arch issue and will do something about it eventually.  Those of you that are having work done on the arch over the winter, please give us a report with pictures.  It would be much appreciated.