Cover materials?

NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
So, I'm needing a full cover.  A little research indicates that Sunbrella and Top Gun are a couple top materials.  Looking at a couple sites, they don't have covers made with Top Gun (except TOPGunCovers.com in MN).  Is it something only available to upholstery shops?
I'm kinda liking the HotShot cover at Overton's, primarily because it covers the platform and is on sale for a couple more days.  $350 seems reasonable (really?!!)for a custom fit cover.

If there's a better category for this= feel free to move it.  And, thanks for taking the time to help me get up to speed in the boating world!  I appreciate it all!

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to make it yourself or order it already done. If you want it done speak to TJ on this Forum also know as boattech. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• coverguycoverguy Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I can help you if you send me year, make, model and options.
    Darren Fitzgerald
    darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    www.pmwinterboatcovers.com
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had covers made from both top gun and sunbrella. Both are quality products but I like sunbrella better as, in my case the Sunbrella covers retained their colour longer and went farther between waterproofings.
  • NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    MarkB said:
    You want to make it yourself or order it already done. If you want it done speak to TJ on this Forum also know as boattech. 
    LOL!  I can pour concrete to go under it, build a roof to go over it, and build walls around it!  But, I'm not the one to cut and stitch up a fabric cover for it!  So, I'm buying ready to use.

Coverguy- Captiva 192 IO bowrider w/ 3' factory swim platform.  I'm looking to move soon on this.

MichaelT, I've read several forums and see a lot of people liking both.  One guy pointed out the significantly stronger aspect of TopGun when trying to rip 2 samples.  Others like the breathability and color fastness of Sunbrella.  My girl will be spending winters under roof, so I'm not so concerned about fading.  Given the 2 are both well rated, the more important factor for me is that TopGun looks to be about 1/2 the price of Sunbrella (give or take).

Thanks for the feedback so far!

• NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    So, here I am a month later and still haven't bit the cover bullet.  I guess I never got the warm and fuzzy about what the best direction is.  Ultima and Hotshot are the pre-fabbed cover materials.  Is Topgun the same as either of these? 
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Hey @coverguy!

Still doing this? I have a 280EC that I'd like a better cover for. It has a radar arch. Any ideas?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dude_Himself, if coverguy doesn't come thru, contact Fisher Custom Canvas. That is who made the top for my 280EC w/arch and I love it. When I have to replace it, I will get it in the lighter material. The cover fits my boat like a glove down to the waterline.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Hey @coverguy!

Still doing this? I have a 280EC that I'd like a better cover for. It has a radar arch. Any ideas?

I am here. Busy running around measuring boats for covers. I am a Fisher dealer and can quote you a Fisher Winter Storage Cover at a discount.
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
    email me and I will send you info and pricing with a discount. darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com

Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey @coverguy.... IM me what you would get for a 2006 Rinker 300 winter cover. I already have shrink wrapping scheduled for this year, but this might be worth considering for future years.

Thank you!

Checking for 300 and 280EC pattern now.

Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas