Options

Why no exhaust fan in the head?

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
I’ve looked at quite a few boats through the years and I have yet to see one with an exhaust fan in the head.   is there a reason for this?  when I had my 270 I wondered why in such a confined area there is no exhaust fan... even for the galley area

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would have to make it so it has a hatch that opens from the outside to keep it water tight. I don't think that's the reason why you haven't seen one though, you would think it makes sense to have one installed.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or it can be made with a hatch that blows open when its turned on, like a dryer vent.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Just vent it into the engine compartment/bilge......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    If i didn't have the shower it would be super easy to vent mine into the mid bilge space.  I was thinking the same as you all.  I have a hatch but it wont stay open.  Really needs an arm that will keep it propped up.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that may be a bigger risk....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If i didn't have the shower it would be super easy to vent mine into the mid bilge space.  I was thinking the same as you all.  I have a hatch but it wont stay open.  Really needs an arm that will keep it propped up.

you can tighten those port windows so that they stay open.  There is a little adjustment screw.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Al did a modification by installing a fixed window and installing a bilge blower as the exhaust fan with a 4 inch vent in the ceiling vented out to the rear of the boat using 4 inch bilge blower hose
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Cost.  It's not exactly a "boat show" feature.  Anyway, most boats under 40' are non-deuce-droppage zones.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:

you can tighten those port windows so that they stay open.  There is a little adjustment screw.
    Really? I'll be looking closely for the screw. Can't recall seeing one but I'd love for that darn head window to stay open.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Cost.  It's not exactly a "boat show" feature.  Anyway, most boats under 40' are non-deuce-droppage zones.  
    Tell my kids. The motion of the ocean makes their tiny little bowels purge. Every. ****. Time.

At least now I have a Vacu-head and not the nasty Porta-Potty I used to deal with each trip.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Formula's have them..
  • Options

LaRea said:

Well, not to take it too far off topic, but we use the heck out of our head.  Even in the marina, when I wake up, I'm not walking up to the marina bathroom! :)  I get a kick out of those people that say "we never use our head for #2" - to me it says, "we really don't use our boat away from the dock".  (LaRea, this was not geared towards you or anyone on this forum, as I know you use your boat more than most of us on this site)

• Options
    We are definitely in the "no #2" club but I have to admit I always ask myself why. We travel quite a bit with the boat but we always dock when traveling so we have a bathhouse close. We rarely anchor overnight but of course if a #2 is needed at anchor then the head is used. Like most here we are electric, not vacuflush, but I dont think that really matters. 

• Options
     Like most here we are electric, not vacuflush, but I dont think that really matters. 
    My previous boat (310 Rinker) was electric head.  We used it all the time as well.  It really doesn't matter.  I just make sure I have a good vent filter and change it every other year (with my own charcoal).  There really is no reason not to use it.  (Now, we don't put TP down it, but instead that goes in trash - some would think that is horrible, but I like the soft stuff and would rather none of that gets stuck in there...sorry, maybe TMI :) )

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a firm believer is using the head for its intended purpose.  The only restriction is what goes down it (human waste and Scott RV/Marine toilet paper only).  Similarly we use the shower, even in marinas.  I make sure to keep up on the chemicals in the head and the Big Orange filter.  

FYI I have friends with FourWinns cruisers and they have powered vents in the head.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the hatch / window:  pop off the cover at the end of the hinge. The screw to tighen is behind it.  If the cover will not pop off. Use like a 1/8" drill bit to put a hole in it for screwdriver access. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    We also exclusively use the shower on the boat, its a big reason for owning a 342, no showers in the bathhouse. We switched this summer from the Walmart/Scotts RV/Marine TP to West Marine's TP. Admiral MUCH prefers West Marine brand but it is thicker, still designed to break down and use in a marine head though. No issues. We add chemicals to the head every weekend or every other weekend to keep fresh and also change the charcoal in the vent filter every other year (home made vent filter). Thanks for the notes on tightening the head port, I'll be doing that this winter!

• Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    My previous boat a 96 Chris Craft had an exaust vent plumbed to the bildge blower. My 05 Rinker doesn't even have an electric head.
  • Options
    We also exclusively use the shower on the boat, its a big reason for owning a 342, no showers in the bathhouse. We switched this summer from the Walmart/Scotts RV/Marine TP to West Marine's TP. Admiral MUCH prefers West Marine brand but it is thicker, still designed to break down and use in a marine head though. No issues. We add chemicals to the head every weekend or every other weekend to keep fresh and also change the charcoal in the vent filter every other year (home made vent filter). Thanks for the notes on tightening the head port, I'll be doing that this winter!
    On the subject of showers:  I've been having (for lack of a better description) a vapor lock on the shower sump after we are in bumpy (3 foot or more) conditions.  Running the shower will fill the sump but the pump just runs and does not move any water.  What I have to do is pull the pump in the sump out, then pop it back into place.  I have a check valve I was planning to put in the discharge line.  Since it seems to go "up hill" toward the end I think it may fill up when it's bumpy then the pressure in the discharge line is making the pump stop it's discharge.  The $64 question is: where should I put the check valve.  My thought is near the sump.  What little water would be before the valve would drain back into the sump.  The pump could get started and push out the rest.  

• Options
    Hey Stodge, I think you commented back before on this that you are confident that you have no restrictions, right? I had a restriction from the pump to thru hull and had similar issues early last summer but no problems the last two seasons now that there is no restriction. Which pump/tank do you have? Wondering if you may just need a new pump. This is what came with my boat so I replaced it with the exact same when I bought the boat:
    http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Shower-and-Drain-Sump-Pump-System

• Options
    I replaced the sump including pump 3 years ago when I first started having issues.  The one I have is Atwood, which is what was in place originally.

I don't think I have any restrictions.  I replaced the discharge line when I replaced the sump.  When it's happy it pumps quickly.

• Options
    Any chance that your new discharge line is longer than your old and looping too high or low creating some kind of air lock when the boat bounces?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Have you tried to reproduce the problem at the dock?  Maybe use a hose to spray water into the thru-hull from outside?
  • Options
    Those are both good questions: 
    @Liberty44140  I did not use the corrugated hose like the bilge pumps use.  Instead I used a clear smooth hose of the same diameter.  I'll have to inspect for excess height.

@LaRea I have not tried that.  It wouldn't be easy at home as the discharge is well below top of the sea wall and I dock with the port side to land.  I'll have to try that when I'm docked at a dock and can reach the discharge.

Still have the remaining question of check valve placement.  Assuming I have to go to that extreme do I put it close to the sump or close to the discharge?

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to play devil's advocate, but do USCG rules allow a check valve? I don't believe they do on bilge pumps. Not sure about a shower sump.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)