Options

cockpit cover

Recently purchased an ex370.  Curious about canvas options. Trying to figure out if I need a cockpit cover for whenever the boats on the lift or are there any other options? Putting the cockpit cover on seems like a difficult task on a bigger boat.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cockpit cover is personal preference. I have a 280EC and I use my cockpit cover all of the time. The PO used the camper top all of the time. I don't like having to store my camper top every time I use the boat. Most of the bigger cruiser owners like yourself prefer to use the camper top. Having a cockpit cover gives you options IMO. @boattech01 has great prices on OEM covers if you are looking to get one.

BTW, Welcome aboard. Be sure to post some pictures of your boat. I bet it is beautiful!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    I purchased the complete canvas cockpit enclosure and LOVE IT, I will post some pictures and contact where to purchase it. Fits perfectly in place of where your eisenglass snaps and bungees are located.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  Ditto @Cableguy Greg -- we'd love to see photos!

For a 370 with a hardtop, I'd say forget the cockpit cover.  It's a hassle on a boat that size.  Taking it off, putting it back on, having to belly-crawl into the cockpit because you left your car keys in the boat ... it's a lot of work.  (I did it for ten years on my 342.) 

Just leave your canvas up all season.  In hot weather, open or remove panels as needed. The hardtop will keep the cockpit cool (well, cooler than a canvas bimini).  

I thought about getting a cockpit cover for winter storage to make my canvas last a little longer, but it's not worth the money.  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the cockpit cover on my 342 to the camper enclosure.  I use the camper canvas when it gets cold but still end up taking most of it off every time i use the boat.  There are plus's and minus's to both as everyone here has stated.  But now that i have both... i love having both.  In the summer i jump on, rollup the canvas, toss it in the car and we go.  With the camper top if you have removed panels it is a bit like a jigsaw puzzle to get them all back on and snapped in. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    I agree with most of what has been said, but another option is to have solid white or black canvas made that zips up to the hard top, in place of the isinglass.  I have black ones that are made out of a vinyl type material that I use all the time.  They completely cover the windshield and zip up to the hard top.  I carry them with me, and if a quick rain storm is coming, I'll put them, and then immediately take them right back down.  I like not having the isinglass up thru the summer.  They also block all UV while I'm not at the boat.  Take advantage of having the hard top, if you want a cockpit cover, have it zip to the hard top.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express