Options

Sierra for Cool Fuel module?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
has anyone used Sierra water separating fuel filters on the gen 2 or 3 cool fuel modules? These are not can covered filters that look like oil filters, they are media with a cap on each end. Looking to order but I've read some Amazon reviews on Sierra glue coming apart on these filters. Only a few bad so maybe a bad batch a while ago. Any experience?
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    In general I'm not a big fan of Sierra parts.  Just my opinion.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain things, like a starter, I have no problem with Sierra. Others, I like to use Merc.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, sounds like I should just stick with merc filters. 

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I have always used Sierra filters when available without a problem. However when it comes to oil I always use Merc 25W40. As far as parts go, it would depend on what the part was. OEM is always nice when the price is not so bad IMO.  -Paul
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I did experience the end caps coming "unglued" from the paper filter elements on the Sierra brand cool-fuel filters in my Merc 350 Mag motors. That was after one season of use in Michigan. My mechanic blamed the failure on the fuel I was getting from my marina. I replaced the Sierra filters with Mercury brand the next season and the failure did not reoccur. I purchased most of my fuel from the same marina when running the Merc filters, so I assume the failure I experienced was attributed to the Sierra filters and not the fuel I use. Haven't had any further experience with Sierra cool-fuel filters since that time so I can't say if the problem was on going or a one time failure.
  • Options
    Thanks Bill that is great info. Same issue that some amazon reviews had on Sierra. Oem all the way here.