Training Dogs

I have two one year old maltipoo's and next year will be my first year on my 370 EX.  Any suggestions as to potty training.  I have thought about a puppy pad on the swim platform, maybe treating the platform as outside?  Any thoughts?

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a French Bull Dog. She started to go on the swim platform without a pad, LoL! I would rather her do it there then anywhere else on the boat! Most of the time we try to take her to shore.
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did some research on this earlier this year. A pretty good article here:
    https://theboatgalley.com/training-dog-boat-dog/
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Check out active caption the have a long time blog talking paws. Been cruisers for 20 + years and trained many dogs. I would suggest the green grass mat on the swim platform. I have a malties most of the time he waits tell get to shore.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our Morkie (Maltise/Yorkie) loves the boat. She just turned one year old in October.  Gets super excited when we get there and bummed when we leave....kinda like me :) I would love it if she would go on the swim platform when we are at anchor but so far no dice. We just take her in to the beach on a paddle board and she finds her spot. At the dock its no biggie as we just take her to the grass near by. She loves to spend the day on the dock socializing with other dogs or sleeping in the shade of a dock box. Luckily she has never had an accident on the boat. We leave her down below alone in the a/c for hours at a time and she just sleeps and has never had an accident. She spends the day in our laundry room at home and has only had an accident when sick so I think she may view the boat like her laundry room. Of course she has had accidents at home but they are very rare and always our fault for not taking her out when she asks. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    We've got a bichpoo puppy - she'll hold it as long as she can, then she'll use the fake grass mat we put out on the swim platform. I rinse that mat off with freshwater from the transom shower, and once dry roll it up and stuff it back into the trunk.
  • jdcstlbryjdcstlbry Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, sounds like the fake grass on the swim platform with as many shore trips as possible is the best idea, cant wait till next year to see how it goes.