Mercruiser 5.7 MPI Horizon Winterization

Well it's getting to be about time to winterize the new boat.  This is my first closed cooling system boat.  I plan on testing the antifreeze in the engine to make sure it will hold up to the winter temperature.  I have heard that there is an air system on the motor that I can use to drain the engine of water.  Then can I just run antifreeze through the outdrive to winterize the motor?  Any advice would be appreciated!
Tagged:

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    You are correct.  My advice, run the engine with fresh water first thru muffs.  Shut off, pump the air system and make sure water is coming out.  I also pull the blue plug on the hose from the seawater pump to the drive (water can sit in there even after using the pump).  Then I switch over to the pink and run it thru.  After using the hand pump, there is a valve that opens, then should close on the bottom of the seawater pump.  I've seen it not always close on some boats.  This is usually due to not exercising it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• dtwilson110dtwilson110 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

Ok thanks!  How exactly do I pump the system?

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did mine yesterday.I drained the right side of the motor with the blue wing on the water separator.  pull the hose of the sea strainer stuck it in 5 gal bucket of pink stuff started the motor until it came out the out drive and shut it down. If you close the seacocks you go though the muffs on outdrive. Just remember open when done, don't want to leave water on top of the ball value.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I've got 350 horizons with the air actuated pump. First, use hand pump and pump her up until green dots are erect. Then water will be pouring out of the bottom of the water pump and plastic water housing. When that is done remove air pump and pull release valve so green dots go down. Then I still pull all 4 blue drain plugs and do a quick on/off at the ignition to get water out of the pump and engine. Replace plugs. I have thru hulls so I close them and I don't touch the strainers. Hook a 5 gal lowes bucket with a spigot to the drive via the muffs and run pink stuff through. I've been told 2 gal in enough. Last year I did 3 gal per engine and this year I am doing 4 gal per engine to be safe. You start to see pink exhaust after a gallon or so. After bucket is empty shut off engine and re open thru hull valve. Done. I wont fog, tried it last year via a 3 gal remote tank with the cocktail and it was more hassle than it's worth. Everyone here says no need to fog. 
    Anyone feel free to punch holes in my process...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• dtwilson110dtwilson110 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    It looks like I am missing the pumps.  Does anyone know where I can get a replacement pump?  Is it the same as a bicycle tire pump?
    Yes, you should be able to use a bicycle pump.  Just remember when done to pull the little valve to release pressure (has a ring on it).

Yep, I use the hand pump that I use for my mountain bike. Came from amazon

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always nervous about draining the pump and losing the prime, so that why I just drain the right side, when the pink goes in does not get diluted. I use 4 gal per motor gives me a good sold pink flow of the 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I hear ya. Was worried too but it worked fine. There is a u tube video out there of a guy fully draining 350s on a 2002 342 RWC and then ran 3 gal per side through on muffs from a bucket. Gave me confidence

I drain mine all the time and it's fine.  Heck, it drains when I raise up on my lift every weekend  (& I know it does because when you do have a seawater pump issue - wearing the inside- it shows up immediately when you try to start after lowering in water).

• mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    dtwilson110 , what is the blue post attached to the engine hatch? Is that an upgrade to the OEM engine hatch assembly? 
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you need drive oil, just fyi
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    It looks like it is installed upside down. If it fails you wont be able to "pull the pin" to open it up manually......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    I'm in South Carolina and use my boat during the winter so I'm lucky enough to just drop a heater in the engine compartment and downstairs.  
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down