400 EC bed

taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
Would like to upgrade the master bed mattress  in my 2008 400. The shape is very irregular, The foot of the existing bed kind of tucks under a shelf under the TV. Sounds like it will be a challenging project. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered a memory foam topper?  I got a 4" topper and cut it to size.  Easy and very comfortable.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of places make custom fit mattresses for boats, RV’s, etc.  not cheap, nice though.  I did my aft bunk in my 342 last summer with a custom mattress. Love it. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the Original Mattress Factory will custom make a mattress for you. Not sure of the cost.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I'm going to try the 4 inch topper first. Thanks for all the recommendations
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @taylor1 I was in an EC 400 that the tall captain had removed the shelf at the foot of the bed - on the starboard side under the cabinet - and had a new mattress made. It was excellent.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    We have the topper on ours and it really made a huge difference.  I know what you mean by the irregular shape to the bed!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We took an electric knife to a memory foam topper for our 280 to make it fit.  Worked like a charm.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 on foam, we have a 4” egg crate foam topper and it made a massive difference. I think it was around $45. X2 on the electric knife to cut, also a large bread knife worked well.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Well, we have identical boat as you.  A queen size topper worked perfectly for us.  & no cutting either! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

If you want a REAL front berth buy a Rinker EC 350/360/370 Then put an extender to lengthen the bed and a 4" topper for comfort. My (former) EC 360's berth was Queen size wide and King size long.  Several guys with 400s drooled over the set-up. You could exit either side or slide off the foot of the bed. No being trapped in a corner or having to crawl over your partner to get out if sleeping to starboard - like on the 400! Yes I have been on several 400s and have (tried) to stretch out in the berth of an EC 400. Not long enough. BTW the last 400 berth I was on was on the last EC 400 made by Rinker - that was shipped to Hurst Marina in Manotick (where I used to live), Canada. Sorry 400 owners but your front berth is definitely second class to the 350/360/370! just ask @bry1429 Ha Ha!

......whatever it takes guys!!!!!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memory foam topping, for sure the way to go.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    ......whatever it takes guys!!!!!!!
    Being the 6 foot 7 inch dork that you are MT, you had to fall off that bed several times. RLMAO