Orange is the new "Black"

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just couldn't get my head around spending $150 on a Big Orange filter. Built this for $22.
Complete with pressure relief valve for pump outs. Activated carbon pellets for an aquarium stuffed inside a mesh sac fills the inside. Off season project for installation next spring. 
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like it! I have the same home made set up. Been planning to a homedepot pressure release valve but wasn’t sure how. Great pic, thanks!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of popping another relief valve directly into the top of the tank also just for good measure. I could see signs this year that my tank was flexing from the pump outs at our marina. Don't know why they aren't mandated.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound, awesome filter mod! I would definitely put a holding tank safety relief valve on the top of your tank. I think they are about $40 and imo about the best 40 you can spend. Takes about 10 minutes to install. You are correct that the Big O is expensive but they are very effective and have an awesome tank pump-out safety valve incorporated into them (also Canadian made eh?)
    I've seen a link on here with the Dometic 3" Tanksaver vent. Having a devil of a time finding a Canadian supplier. Thinking that if I have to I'll either just install a second relief valve like the one on my filter contraption directly into the tank, or maybe even a plumbing cheater vent like this one. Thoughts?

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound excellent job. Are you willing to allow plagiarizing by posting your parts list?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Parts were dependant on what my local hardware had. I used 2" ABS pipe to get more carbon into the larger diameter, but then had to bush it down to 1 1/2" to get the adapters and union. Also, I may have to switch out the poly slip adapters as I think the vent line on the Rinker is 5/8" and these are only 1/2". To get 5/8" I'll likely have to go to brass, so it will add a couple of bucks to the cost.

1 Foot Length 2" ABS Pipe
    1 small piece 1 1/2" ABS Pipe to use in adapting union
    3 - 1 1/2"x 1/2" Dishwasher threaded bushings
    2 - 1/2"MPTx5/8" Hose adapters
    1 - 2"x2"x 11/2" Reducing Tee
    1 - 1 1/2" ABS Union (to get it apart to change carbon)
    1-  1 1/2"x2" Increaser
    1 - Watts Pressure Relief Valve, 1/2" thread 
    ABS Glue

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, I brass NPT for the 5/8" line on mine.  I drilled a hole in the screw on end caps that was just small enough to allow me to thread them in.  Also put a little epoxy around them.  I had thought about a relief valve, but instead went with the one MT mentioned in one of his older posts that went in the top of the tank.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I’ve had on my list to add the tank valve that MT reccomends but getting to the top of the tank on a 342 is no easy task. Also the valves are not easy to find online. Would like to go the in line route that is pictured in this thread. 

@Liberty44140 you could easily tee a relief valve like I've shown directly into the line if you don't want to build the whole filter contraption. It just has a 1/2" MPT on it.
    edited December 2017
    :) That’s the plan

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @willhound there were several suppliers that my marina could get the tanksaver valve from. I think Hutchings and C&C?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy with my big orange, but I need to replace the vent fittings.  The open flush vent holes let rain water and spiders in.  I have some screened vents on the list (with a few dozen other things).  The by-pass valve in the BO was a big selling point.  I made a home-brew filter and was never happy with it.  Nice work @Willhound

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Got my contraption installed yesterday. Haven't splashed yet so haven't tried it. My arms will never be the same. Have to go back and strap it down, if it ever pulls the upper end off the vent I don't know how I'd reach it. Maybe from the cooler cut out. It actually points somewhat up, just a bad angle on the pic.
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    My 270 does not have a filter like this. I use Happy Camper deodorizer and so far no smelly fumes 
  • jbendixjbendix Member Posts: 27
    Nice filter setup though. 
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I need to make one of these
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    About $40 CDN including the activated carbon from an aquarium store. The Admiral doesn't know it yet, but she donated a nylon stocking to put the carbon in. :p