Options

2005 Volvo Penta and NMEA 2000

Hey everyone,

I've always wanted to get engine data but most of the devices out there won't work with the older Volvo engines, without doing a lot of setup/config etc.
I found this device that looks like it would solve a lot of these issues and could plug into the N2K network, then feed the data to a GPS.
I already have a N2K network on my boat, and my GPS supports engine data like RPM etc.

Anyone else do any research on this or have done this with their boat?

Here's the link: http://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html
I looked at the connectors on my Volvo (5.7 OSi-DF) and with the adapter, it looks like it has the right cabling... (this is the adapter: http://www.yachtd.com/static/img/dev/volvo_penta_efi_10pin.jpg)

I'm debating adding it to my xmas wish list ;)

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I don't have direct experience with that one, but it looks like it should work.  You have a single-engine boat, right?  Do it.  You'll love seeing what you've been missing.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Very informative, thanks. I'm a bit afraid of what my engine would tell me.

Andy
  • Options
    cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks. Yes single engine, '05 270. I think this will be a spring project!
  • Options
    The engine will provide your fuel burn in gallons/hour.  Some chartplotters can combine that with your speed to give you miles per gallon, which is a great way to know whether you have the boat trimmed out properly.  

BTW $189 is a great price.  The Merc gateway costs at least twice that much.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Since I have the good fortune of owning one of the first engines this product works with, and being a male with gizmo envy, I have no choice but to get this!

Andy
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Let me know how you get on as I also have a 2005 volvo penta and am considering this myself! Although I do have the EVC which displays all that data so is there any point in me getting it?
  • Options
    cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I finally got around to finishing this project and remembering to take some pics of the results. (Just realized I have to adjust the gauge tanges for gal/hr on my Garmin)

I finally have some data directly from the engine. This device just plugged in, and showed up on my N2K network without any problems. 

I just have to remember to manually set the amount of fuel onboard so that I can tell how much is left in the tank.... sure beats those Faria gauges that jump around and don't work very well.

• Options
    Nice work.  I'm sure you'll experiment with different display formats.  I've found that digital readouts work better for me than pictures of analog gauges.