Stupid Neighbors!

SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
Ive been storing my 310 at a friends house every winter for the last 4 years. Apparently, he got new neighbors and they complained about the boat being there. The cops came over and issued a warning, said the boat must be removed within 2 weeks.
Nice, its almost January, just had a snowstorm, boat is wrapped, trailer tires are low and its 7 degrees out.... I guess they couldnt have complained like a month ago when it was still somewhat feasible to move it...ugh
01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    What’s the justification - is there a local ordnance that disallows it? If so you have merely been lucky so far. Is it blockongba view or anything? Sounds like it got ugly between them with the law turning up. Perhaps you can seek a temporary injunction till March or so. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them to move it.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the ordnance for having a boat on property. Here in my city for example, you can't park a boat in your yard on the grass- make a spot for it with mulch or concrete and your good to go. I can also park it in the street in font of my house- or my neighbors house for that matter as the street is public property -had that conversation with a new neighbor. I do store it but told him I bring it home to clean, get ready for a trip or work on it as needed. I don't live where there is an hoa for a reason!
    The HOAs have gotten out of control with flags and such. Where I live I can only park an RV or a boat in my driveway for 2 weeks. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we bought our house 2 years ago I called the town office to see if there are any rules for storing a boat on our property. They said as long as it's behind the house foundation there are no issues. I guess if it's further up near the street, that's when they can issue tickets.
    2008 330EC
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    You know how every neighborhood has that neighbor they can't stand?     I'm that neighbor :D.

But seriously, about 20 years ago I bought the lot next to my mother-in-laws. Years ago I was thinking of building a large shed or small garage on it and was told by the boro that I couldn't have any structures on any land without a primary dwelling on it. ugh... So it still sits empty. I could have merged the deed with hers but it wasn't worth that. I have never tried to store our boat on it but my step-son just bought a new 26' camper about a month ago and put it there. No complaints from anyone so far. It isn't staying there, just storing it for the winter.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time if it’s not visible from the main road aka backyard or behind the house there is no complaining
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Ugh.  That stinks.  I guess you have to get it out of there because it’s only gonna cause your buddy grief.  Not his fault.   I have new neighbors too and I’m hoping they don’t start their whining about stuff. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Our HOA tried to make it so boats in driveways was ok but campers weren't. 

I'm lucky enough to have a driveway that wraps behind the house.  We don't keep the 342 here, but the center console and the ding are on trailers and stored behind the gate.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    There is no HOA but below is the ordinance.  The driveway the boat is parked on very long and extends into the backyard where there is a concrete slab poured that was originally for a garage to be built. (never was built) So technically the boat is parked on a slab in the back yard. Im sure I could raise a stink about it but moving it is probably easier. 

(c) Recreational vehicle parking in front yard. Unoccupied recreational vehicles of 26 feet in length or less as defined in §19-92 may be parked in a front yard driveway. (Code 1965, §11.15(3)(c); Ord 32-92, §1, 3-18-92; Ord 174-
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pi$$ing matches between neighbors never turns out well. You are probably better off moving her. It does stink that you have to do it at this time of year.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Yeah look what happened to Rand Paul. 
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    SeaHare said:

(c) Recreational vehicle parking in front yard. Unoccupied recreational vehicles of 26 feet in length or less as defined in §19-92 may be parked in a front yard driveway. (Code 1965, §11.15(3)(c); Ord 32-92, §1, 3-18-92; Ord 174-

I see the simple answer: Cut it in half or let a homeless person live in it!
    Good luck.
    -Paul

SeaHare said:
    There is no HOA but below is the ordinance.  The driveway the boat is parked on very long and extends into the backyard where there is a concrete slab poured that was originally for a garage to be built. (never was built) So technically the boat is parked on a slab in the back yard. Im sure I could raise a stink about it but moving it is probably easier. 

I'd be asking for confirmation the boat is classed as a "recreational vehicle" as that term is used for a road RV, not a boat. This also says they may be pared in the front, is there a rule about the back?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @icoultha that is my question also. Front yard is totally different than a back yard.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya but your buddy has been generous all these year's. If it was your place I see a fight. just put it in the street in front of his house.

@shawnmjr , your the kinda neighbor I like.  Living in the country we shoot in the back yard from time to time. 
    Boat Name : 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Story about one of the best neighbors I ever had. 

We shared a property line along a little wooded gully.  One day, he stopped by as I was emptying the trash, and we chewed the fat for a good 20 minutes.  As he walked away, he turned and said "Oh, hey, I noticed you blew all of your yard waste into the gully.  Maybe you didn't know, but that's actually my property.  Next year, is it okay if you find another way to do that?"

I said OK sure, and we parted.  Later, I realized that the entire conversation was just a polite way to ask me to stop dumping my effing sh%t on his property.  It increased my respect for him by more than he ever knew. 

My point:  when it comes to neighbors, it sometimes helps to take the long view.
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    A real gentleman! Unfortunately on the endangered species list.
    I know that the bylaws in my HOA prevent boats and RV's from being stored on your property for more than a week. It allows for a homeowner to be able to bring there RV or boat home to get ready for a trip, or clean it up. I had my 232 in my yard for 3 weeks when I was selling it, and I never got a letter. Fortunately my neighbors are pretty cool.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Theres the boat sittin back there. I called the ordinance office and they said it is written poorly but the meaning is any rec vehicle, including boats over 26ft cannot be parked in the city. Not in the front, back or side yard... SOOOOO, I took the day off work tomorrow and will be moving it to storage before the next blizzard rolls in. I guess I got away with it for 4 years...
    It stinks that you have to move it, but at least the city gave you some clarification on what the regulations are.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Up to you but I'd be arguing - at least until spring. "written poorly but the meaning is" is what judges are for - to rule on the written law. If it says "front" then who cares what they meant it to say. Change the wording to what they mean.

I'd be asking to see the town attorney pointing out what it says irrespective of what they mean it to be and seek compromise until better weather.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Hard to fight the battle when it's not at your own house.  Definitely got lucky for 4 years.  Certainly plenty of room back there for it and not an eyesore. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

The boat looks a lot better than all the turd green houses in the neighborhood....even with the big ugly tarp on it!! :smiley:
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure at some time you will find out who turned you in, and maybe you can return the favor.
    Boat Name : 

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sure is an ugly house on the right side of that picture.. I hope it wasn't those owners complaining!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff.....agree, I could see where that homeowner would be in a "foul" mood! LOL
    Around here you can;t have a car in your drive without a plate on it. Must be in garage if you have to have it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Well, I got it moved, everything went pretty flawless. Weather was sunny and 40 degrees. Shes wrapped up nice and tight at a marina I will be slipping at this summer.