2005 FV 320 Stereo question

Hi guys,

I wanted to upgrade the factory Clarion CMD5 stereo on my boat to a newer Clarion unit.

A couple of questions:

- Can i keep the 2 stock remotes if I purchase this cable:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/CCUMRA1.html

- What do you guys suggest for the replacement unit? I was considering the Clarion M505

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know Clarion, but when I went to upgrade the Kenwood stereo in my 342 from a cassette tape system to something newer I wanted the newer Kenwood remotes.  I found out after installing a nice Kenwood with HD radio and other goodies that only the "marine" models have the plug for the remote.  Luckily I was able to find a new home for the stereo I bought and got a "marine" Kenwood.

Anyway, lesson from that is check the manuals, which are all on-line these days and see what plays with what.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I have the Clarion M505 and I like it.  On Bluetooth if I walk to the swim platform of my 270 it goes in and out.  I know this can be extended but I just leave my phone in the cabin, where it should be!  

I believe that cable will enable you to use the remotes but the display will not work.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Pioneer for me
    you don’t really need wired remotes with all the gadgets that run via Bluetooth.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Call me old school but I like having the wired remote/display in the helm.  As for content I have a have 2 USB ports, one for ipod one for thmub drive.  Then when we're rafted I sometimes fire up my pirate radio station and everyone in our raft tunes in.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

I usually have my iPad or phone plugged in inside the cabin or outside laying on the dash or table.
    worla
    just fine
    plus I have a receiver remote if needed 
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Im right there with you @Stodge.  I love the access to the remotes from the helm and swim platform.  Plus I just like everything to work, new or old. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • JLASJLAS Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I am not sure if the $$$ spent on an upgrade is worth it compared to installing  Bluetooth to your old unit ($35). In that way, your wired remotes will work, you could play music from your phone wirelessly, and save quite a bit of money.  If after that still need to improve sound, you may want to replace the speakers, as you may have to anyway due to age (broken speaker cones) and adding a subwoofer.  

I am sure some of the guys who have replaced the system might guide you better.  I just did the Bluetooth upgrade, replace some speakers and am satisfied with the sound.  

Good luck and let us know what you did. 

No replacement for displacement or in this care for sound