purely hypothetical question about listing a boat...

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
let's say a person had a 2005 boat- in immaculate condition.  all wiring rewired; all seats in perfect condition; all parts and pieces present and in functional form and new appearing condition... now, let's say it has a brand new (2017/18) merc factory engine and outdrive on it...

is it fair to list it as a 2005/17?   
is it fair to expect it to value for considerably more than just a well cared for boat without the new engine/drive? 

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my opinion is that if your listing on boattrader the official year is 2005. Certainly can add a note on the brand new 2017 engine in the subject but it’s an 05 boat. When I was shopping for my 342 there was a local boat listed as a 2007 and came up as an 07 in all searches, was obviously  an 80s boat that went through a refit in 2007 which the pics clearly revealed. I did not think that listing it as an 07 was the right thing to do. Best of luck!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an 05 with a new engine and drive. Is it worth considerably more? Perhaps to the right buyer, but on the other hand, without an engine and drive it's just a parts hull.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    The HID defines the year of manufacture and so is the model year. List the updates/rebuilds but legally I don;t think you can list other than what the HID shows unless it gets a new HID.

A 60's Impala fully rebuild is still a 60's Impala, not a 2017 model.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm in an argument with a guy that has a 1998 century who just hung a new outboard on it and is considering selling. i'm not selling mine, and i'm arguing that he can't sell his as something it isn't.  as it is i'm in the same boat, no pun intended, with a new engine and outdrive but have no intentions to sell- i don't mind the approach of combo years- such as 1998/17 or 2005/17, which would be harmless while denoting the upfitting- but honest in that it's still primarily the model year.

again, as far as my involvement in this it's purely speculative- and it seems y'all are in agreement with my position- but then again i don't know the etiquette involved in such a matter... i know i've seen the 2000/xx used in adverts, but it always seems to be on much larger vessels that have lifespans much longer than the smaller ones.  
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are just trying to get the eye of someone that is doing a search and has the year set to a new range than you would fall into I can see the logic but it may backfire.  The field may not allow you to be creative like that.  To be honest if i was looking for a newer boat and a 2005 one showed up i may be curious but would still be looking for more than just new engines.  Seating styles changed a lot, electronics, cabin etc....  I would just list it as a 2005 and put the new engines in big bold letters up front with the cost. A lot of folks really don't know the cost of a repower and what it means that you did.  Lay it out for them. I was considering a boat before my Rinker that would of been a project boat.  But it had Volvos and the synthetic drives that would need to be replaced. So had to do my research and discovered that it would of been likely $35-40k extra.  Couldn't get the price down enough to justify it but i still would of loved to have tackled that.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldnt it be like a 69 Camaro all fixed up with a new motor?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a market for restored boats as no one but @Michael T can afford a brand new one. 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye I buy and sell all the time. Engine rebuilds or upgrades add little value but most of the time create a quicker sale.
    all of your upgrades can be listed in the description but you can’t change the year on f the boat. You can however state the year of the last rebuild, etc.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    He can call it a re-powered '98. 

Anything else is misleading, and it's a slippery slope.  You can't just arbitrarily call it a 98/17 simply because you replaced a part.  Suppose he only replaced the carburetor ... does that qualify as a 98/17?  If that's the rule, then every boat is new.  

It's the year that is stamped on the hull.  @212rowboat - you win the argument.  
    I replaced my stereo
    95/18
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Keep it and run it until the new engine has a couple hundred hours, then sell it. ;-)
    Let’s be honest here!
    most boats hour meters are altered in one way or other.
    nature of the beast. I myself surveyed boats and found meters unplugged. New boats can be flashed and hours changed. There is no carfax for boats and even if they had one just like cars there is always a way around it.
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Changing the year on the listing seems very misleading to me. It is definitely worth top dollar, given that everything else is in good shape on the boat, but he can't just change the year and expect to attract a buyer on the premise the entire boat magically is newer.  A competent buyer will RUN from an ad that is full of BS... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    The HID defines the year of manufacture and so is the model year. List the updates/rebuilds but legally I don;t think you can list other than what the HID shows unless it gets a new HID.

A 60's Impala fully rebuild is still a 60's Impala, not a 2017 model.
    100% Agree
    2008 330EC
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    It probably isn't entirely logical, but I would be more inclined to the dual years on a boat with a new outboard than a boat with a new I/O engine and drive. The outboard is self contained and typically a "new outboard" means a whole new drive system with current technologies built-in. A "new engine" in an I/O can mean anything from a new block to a whole new system. In many cases when an I/O boat is listed with a new engine much of the control systems and even carbs, etc. were taken from the existing and installed on the "new engine". Seldom is it truly all current technologies.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The "boat" is the hull.  So it's still a 2005 boat, it just has a 2017 motor.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

purely hypothetical===what if this post didn't exist 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:

purely hypothetical===what if this post didn't exist 

It would still be a 2005 boat........
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been interested to see everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this. Good stuff, thanks 212.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I am selling my s500 does it qualify to be 2018 since I installed a new air freshener in it
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of center consoles are listed by motor. Some outboard refits include gauge and harnes. Never in an I/O, just the block. But did get a hair cut yesterday and feel like a new man.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat built in 2005
    Is still a 2005,today and tomorrow 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-powering a boat is common, but I know a guy who re-boated his power. 

First, he re-powered his center console with a brand-new, high-power outboard.  Then the hull seemed unworthy of such a nice engine, so he ditched the hull and got a newer one.  

I guess he'd have to sell it as a 1998/2014/2008.  
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insert Johnny Cash Lyrics here!
    "Oh, it's a 56, 57, 58 ,59 ,61, 62 Cadillac Automobile..."
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People ask me what year my Harley is and I ask them which part?