Personal opinion or political comment removed.

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Personal opinion or political comment removed.
Post edited by rasbury on

Comments

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    They ask because of the area you live in.
    a guy smack middle of Michigan probably is going to boat on inland lakes and own a smaller boat.
    guys that live on Great Lakes and keep at marinas are likey to boat the open waters. Only difference for you is you have a trailer. Which means if stored at your house would be covered under home insurance.  Also do you have towing or road side assist on that trailer?
    just shop around I use geico and like it. I was with boat us for years but it’s cheaper for me to get geico insurance and tow separate.
    It’s all really based on the boat you have and area you keep it and boat in.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop the value if you can
    edited December 2017
    If that’s what the boat and trailer sell for then don’t listein to Haney.
    i always pay more to lock my value in vs slightly cheaper rate that drops the value every year depending on the market
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The agreed value is a nice thing to have, might be costing you a few bucks more, but not a large amount. I'm surprised at the relatively low amounts for liability. Bottom end here is usually $1Mill and a lot of us go for $2Mill.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Who is Haney??
    Your real name 
    your wife gave you nickname of handy because of all the bathroom deals you did 
    @rasbury my best suggestion is put together an e-mail with all of the limits you're looking for and fire it off to a half a dozen companies or so. Just be sure to stress you want a matching package. Some will try and tweak it with higher deductibles etc. to try and show a better price. Need to be sure you're getting an accurate comparison. When I went through this last spring there was almost a $200 difference from highest to lowest premium for the exact same package. And as an example, the difference from $1Mill liability to $2 Mill was only about $40 so I took the $2 Mill. I did so because the liability portion also covers environmental and salvage fees. Sink a boat here in Ontario and the environment Nazi's go nuts on clean up. Saw a case here last year where a ratty old sail boat that wasn't worth $15,000 sank, but an on-board fuel tank leaked. Clean up costs were almost $400,000 in fees and fines.......
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound - 100% agree. In Ontario under 2 mil liability is reckless and doesn't cost much more. I paid a bundle (about $1,500.00) to insure our EC 360 but that was also for replacement cost with no depreciation for the first three years.....and that was after a lot of comparison shopping.
    I carry 1 mill
    Ye I think my premium is around 600 and no trailer 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will look around...we are geico also....
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited December 2017
    Well, I agree with all the comments. I'm just a bit over $700, covering me entire east coast and Bahamas for a value of $135k. Mine is thru Global marine. I'd be very curious what they'd quote you. And as most of you know, I've had to use mine twice in two years for a pretty good claim, unfortunately. Treated me extremely well, and still good rate.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Do they cover the lift??
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Do they cover the lift??
    The boat is covered year round on the lift. If you are asking about the lift itself, I do not believe they do. Items on the boat and the dinghy are covered. For you, I'd think homeowners would cover it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

No they did not but now they do. I pay 1700 a year
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have GEICO, I would consider joining BoatU.S. and getting a quote from them. Since they have a huge membership, they tend to get better rates for their members thru GEICO. It is worth a shot.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited December 2017
    If you have GEICO, I would consider joining BoatU.S. and getting a quote from them. Since they have a huge membership, they tend to get better rates for their members thru GEICO. It is worth a shot.
    That PDF quote @rasbury shared is BoatUS. @Cableguy Greg you celebrating New Year's early?  :p
    Just kidding......
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was$1,500.00 U.S. to cover my former 2014 EC 360.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on my phone and didn't look at the PDF. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    As a Power Squadron member I have gotten very good agreed coverage at a what I feel is a very reasonable cost using their insurance company.
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Looks in line with my recent bill from GEICO which went up about $120 also.  One difference is that I have commercial towing at $3K per incident.  $250 will not cover much if a tow is needed. 
    Just got a quote from http://www.seainsure.com/ and they beat GEICO by $200 for same coverage.  Anyone have experience with them?
    looks like you have to be a member of sea tow......I always get confused it I have boat us or sea tow....have then not just kind of merged?
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    gack said:
    Looks in line with my recent bill from GEICO which went up about $120 also.  One difference is that I have commercial towing at $3K per incident.  $250 will not cover much if a tow is needed. 
    If your insurance covers commercial towing do you have to pay a deductible if you have to use it? Sea tow is only $179.00 for the season. I would think a normal deductible is around $500.00? Hopefully it doesn't have to be used either way!!
    2008 330EC
    Is that towing for the trailer or the boat? I was towed on the water, was covered and they said the tow would have been 600 bucks without the coverage.
    I have Boat US included with Gieco.  Was towed off a sandbar once at no charge.  The $200 savings I mention above includes a discounted SeaTow membership of $99, which is required by seainsure.com.  
    With Sea Tow you can add trailer care for $10.00 more.
    2008 330EC
    @gack ,do you have Skisafe through Geico?
    2008 330EC
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    TowBoat U.S. from BoatUS is $58/year for unlimited on the Great Lakes.  Another advantage to fresh water boating.  Of course the down side is that they don't have operators everywhere.  When we broke down outside Alpena (East/middle Lake Huron) they didn't have anybody to send to get us.  We ended up getting towed in by the sheriff (for free).  On Lake St. Clair there are TowBoat U.S. boat all over the place.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX