Options

Why bottom paint and regular hull cleaning are important.

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
Yesterday I had my boat hauled out for outdrive service and bottom painting. She's been sitting in saltwater for over two and a half years since the drive was replaced and the last paint job. Below is how my drive looks, which isn't too bad. I have a diver clean it monthly. The photo underneath is another boat nearby mine in the shipyard that shows the result of not cleaning your outdrive!

Andy

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez! Look at that prop!
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Wow!.  I would't think that lower one could even get up on plane with that prop.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited January 2018
    @andyd wow you let your boat sit in water for 2 1/2 years? My boat gets 3 months then I haul and power wash and rezinc then 3 months later its hauled for winter nap. Then in the spring bottom gets sanded and repainted......... Just say'n      What did your boat look like before you power washed it?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a mess! and what about the water inlet? How would you get enough water to cool the engine. Your's looks great in comparison. The diver make's a huge difference. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited January 2018
    @raybo3 This is what the drive looked like before any kind of washing, basically how it looked yesterday coming out of the ocean. It was cleaned three weeks ago underwater by a diver. Yes, I prudently should have taken her out a year and a half ago...but you know, procrastination and other spending priorities.

Also, I perhaps shouldn't mention it, but winterization isn't even an issue in this neck of the woods, so boats stay in the water year round here and it's easy to defer maintenance as a result.

The OceanX has a titanium ceramic coating said to resist corrosion, and it appears it is performing as advertised, so far.

Andy
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @andyd I thought you were getting rid of your boat?
  • Options
    @andyd thats pretty awesome you can leave your boat in for so long and it looks like that. What did the diver cost per dive???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @andyd, and the other question I have is how often does that other boat get used? Would regular runs help keep that scrubbed off? Is it marine growth, corrosion or both?
    you can always tell the boats in our marina that get used often versus the dock sitters by the amount of green slime on the props and drives.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @Handymans342... No, I don't think I ever said I was actually selling the boat, just that all the problems in 2015 made me think long and hard about whether to keep it. Since the last couple of years have been relatively problem free I'm keeping her.
    Slips are harder to find, we've gone from dozens available here in 2010 to a one year wait list now. That just the 25' slips, larger ones are even tougher to find.

I pay $45 per month to have the hull and outdrive cleaned by a diving service.

Andy

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I agree with shawnmjr $45 is very cheap...... @andyd you have a very nice setup there
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $45 bucks in my area would not work- gators would eat you while your scrubbing!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    $540 for a year of monthly cleanings?  Great price.  I paid $200 for a mid-season cleaning (which is all I need here).  
  • Options
    bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I keep my 280 in salt water year round except for service and antifouling, I wonder how this affects the rust rate internally on the engine, what is the average life span of an engine rust wise kept in these conditions?
  • Options
    Do you have fresh or sea water cooling for your engine?

Andy
  • Options
    bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I allway's hear 1500 hour's is avg. on the other hand heard of guy's getting 3000 hours, Myself never kept a boat that long.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @randy56......I hear you brother.