Options

Hey Hey FLA!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
After months of anticipation our annual trip to visit our friends in Florida is happening tomorrow. The weather for the 12 days we are there looks fantastic. Have several boating related activities planned including some dolphin watching with my brother and his family who are also attending. Will probably also book a charter fishing trip but I always wait until down there so we can check the catches and the winds. Might even do a boat rental on the inter-coastal.
I was able to order a new set of Magnesium anodes for my BIII from Boatzincs.com and have them delivered to my buddies house to bring home in my suitcase. Saved over half the cost of buying them here, which is messed up because Martyr the manufacturer is actually a Canadian company.....go figure. Also going to look around for a new Mercathode anode to bring back.
Of course a trip the local West Marine in Clearwater is a must.
Want to also tour around and look at a few marinas with an eye to spending winters down there withing the next few years. 6 months on a boat in Florida and 6 months on Georgian Bay. Perhaps just a pipe dream but worth investigating I think. And of course there will be several pub tours involved. My liver is "a quiver" already.....
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Sounds like a grew time!! Enjoy your time there...and you know you're there during boat show season just a bit more south?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out with the boys headed to FT Myers beach .
  • Options
    Cool! Nice rabbit ears  :D
    Spent three days in FMB two years ago when down. Stayed at the Shipwreck. Had a blast downtown.....I seem to (sorta) recall a lot of different bars in a short walk.
    Loved the Tiki Bar at the Lighthouse (with resident bar cat) and the Mermaid Lounge/Liquor Store. My kinda dive bar...
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to see that 342 off the lift!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to buy some boat stuff, swing by the Miami boat show!
  • Options
    Had thought about it but the 6 hour drive isn't very appealing and most of what I would want to buy I can't get in my suitcase and on the plane home!
  • Options
    Well the guys couldnt get over my 342. They couldn't believe it was 15 years old. They said it was the best 34 foot boat they have ever seen and they have been on a lot of boats. They said I stole this boat. We had a great day
  • Options
    Until you fired up the diesels? JK- glad you had a good day- almost 85 in the Orlando area, hope to have my issues resolved over the next couple of weeks, been a tuff year for fixing the boat have you been over to cayo costs yet?
  • Options
  • Options
    You have to put that on the cruiser plan and eat over at cabbage key...
  • Options
    Cabbage key was not all that. 
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 my friends live on 13th Street in Cape Coral, they have a 330FV on a lift. We were down just a couple weeks ago and had a great time out and about downtown. Such an awesome area!
  • Options
    Why didnt you tell me?????
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    We were only there for a a couple days and it was so windy we didn't go boating, plus the water in the canal was pretty low and he hadn't tried to float the boat off the lift for a while. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    We were only there for a a couple days and it was so windy we didn't go boating, plus the water in the canal was pretty low and he hadn't tried to float the boat off the lift for a while. 
    So?? We could have gone to dinner. Now you have the Handy curse. MT has it too
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @04FV270riverrat......don't lose any sleep about the "Handy Curse" my life improved significantly after that but poor ole' Handy is still stuck with a stinkin' diesel! Ha Ha
  • Options
    MT, aren't you leaving this earth soon?? Lol
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......Handy your curse just added a few years! Thanks :-)
  • Options
    Well, back to reality. Had a great 10 days in Florida. Temps in the mid to high 80's everyday. Ate and drank too much of course, got lot's of sun. Managed to get down to the St. Pete Municipal Marina and checked it out and had a quick chat with one of the admin guys there. Very helpful. Liveaboards allowed, would be looking at around $750/month for something in the mid 30 foot range based on a semi-annual rate. Didn't bother getting into specifics like off-season storage etc. Currently a 2 1/2 year waiting list. Part of the issue being that usually there would normally be empty slips over the winter as local boaters move down to the Keys for the "winter" months, but a lot of those places got destroyed in the hurricane, so no places to go to. Also chatted with a local boater that suggested looking at the Burnt Store Marina down towards **** Gorda. Never made it down there, but looks nice on the web. Toured the waterfront strip for lunch and beverages. Moved a couple blocks up to an old tavern, some tourists but more of a local's place.
    Did get out on the water a couple of times, once on a dolphin boat tour out of Clearwater Beach with my brother and his family, and once on a fishing charter with some buddies from Largo.
    Come on summer!

St, Pete Marina Breakwall

Clearwater Beach from the water

St. Pete Harbour

Nice Red Snapper my buddy caught, but out of season, so went back.

Me with our catch. Mostly still fished, I managed to pull in a Hogfish and we picked up a Bonito while trolling on the way back in. Otherwise mostly Grunts and Porgies. Kind of a slow fishing day. Kingfish, Spanish Mackeral etc, not moving inshore yet.

Tavern in old St. Pete

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice trip. now ya gotta get back to work. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Burnt Store is very nice. 
  • Options
    Looks nice. On a map anyway it looks like it's off by itself so would need to drive everywhere. Will swing by and take a look next year I guess. Raining and 32F back here today.
     :'( 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics. Looks warm.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Looks nice. On a map anyway it looks like it's off by itself so would need to drive everywhere. Will swing by and take a look next year I guess. Raining and 32F back here today.
     :'( 
    Check out Cape Coral yacht basin. Also Ft Myers yacht Basin
  • Options
    Burnt Store Marina is 14.50 a foot a month plus electric.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    heading to the Keys this Thursday for me.. :) spending most of March in FL.. hoping that someday I'll spend most of the year there!! Just not ready to make the move yet!! Need more $$ in the savings account. 

Handy - what are ya doing for spring break? I may head over to St. Pete for a weekend.. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Long range forecast is 84/65 everyday with a small cool down here and there to the 70s.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything is better than 35 and rain, as it's mostly been up here!!