Lost power to Engine hatch, Bilge pump,Galley pump and Engine room blower

Hi.  

Just sudden the above stopped working at the same time.
I have checked the fuses under steering helm (i guess these pop out if they have some problems?)
Also checked the power breaker at the DC panel. The one for "Helm power" is working, as by tuning this on/off the other functions on the switchboard is affected.

Anyone with any ideas?  Seems strange to me that all these 4 things went out at the same time.

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked in battery switch box? There are pop out breakers there too.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• RinkerNorwayRinkerNorway Member Posts: 14
    Hi. Yes. with DC panel, I was referring to the panel where the larger power breakers  and battery switch is located.  All pop out breakers there are good.
    :)
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like items that would run off the "house battery" you may want to use a jump box to provide power to the engine hatch and check the battery treminals.
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    So my brand new house battery lost a cell a few days ago, and I was surprised the house battery runs the blower and genny starter. I would've assumed that would run off the engine battery, so if you drained the battery down overnight, you could still safely start your boat (or at least the genny to charge batteries back up).

I'm going to have to document where everything goes now, as it doesn't match the electrical sources supplied by the manufacturer. Crap.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RinkerNorway, I'm not sure if you are aware but you can put power to the two terminals in the switch box to power engine hatch. the picture below, where the two red twist caps are the two thermals. I know this does not fix your problem but at least you will be able to open hatch to investigate. 
    Image result for rinker battery switch
    Boat Name : 

Hi guys.

i have already checked everything in the engine room without any findings...  all 3 batteries are at 12.5V so should not be battery related, since every other electical installation is working perfect.  

Could some of the electric components just be hooked up to one of the house batteries, and the rest to the other battery? I thought "everything" was working together with both batteries (?) 

Appreciate all your help.

If I remember correctly all 4 of the items are on separate breakers, under the steering wheel.  I think I would take that panel lose so you can get to the wires that power's the breakers. test for power.  What boat do you have?
    Boat Name : 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RinkerNorway, what boat do you have?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Sorry for that. i have a 2007 Rinker 280EC running on tractor fuel(Diesel)  :D
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    oh boy, not sure Handy will be able to keep his excitement down! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    He may take exception to the agricultural reference though.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Handy will be revved up.  
    Boat Name : 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 4 run off of the house battery. One thing I found with my 280EC is that the connection at the breaker was loose. It wasn't making good contact, so my house battery wasn't getting charged the way it should. I had to pull out the DC panel and tighten the connections. While I was there, I changed the breakers for the house battery and the starting battery. Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for our boat. They are in PDF form, so feel free to download them. I have used them a few times, so they are great to have.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3038/280-ec-wiring-diagram

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Double check those wiring diagrams - mine isn't that accurate for which battery powers which circuit. Not sure if it's cause I have an early 280EC run (2007), or if things were changed up by a previous owner.
    So..

Season is nearing, and I need to sort this problem.

I have removed the main breaker panel and all looks good, even loosened every connector and re-tightened it to ensure good connection.

since me+Wire diagrams are complete enemies, it has not shed any light on where the problem is located.

Can anyone check what the main breaker labeled "Steering Helm" actually does? I have tripped it to see what stops working, but other than the things mentioned earlier, everything is working despite that breaker is tripped/unconnected.

:)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really need someone who can use a volt meter and I am sure you have a Yanmar diesel??
    edited March 2018
    Volvo Penta D4-260

I have a Volt Meter.

there is Power to both the button/switch for eng hatch along with the small breaker for hatch under the steering helm.

so seems like it's a bad connection between the breaker at the helm and the actual hatch motor.

same goes for the Blower switch and water pump.

I have also checked grounds at the aft "wall" in engine bay, all are good. Is there any other places where stuff are grounded? (already taken out the landpower/fuse cabinet inside the boat, all looks good...

Post edited by RinkerNorway on
    edited March 2018
    Acoording to the wire diagram, this has gotta be where my problem is located. 

Any idea where to find this connector/connection (connector 10) point?

Post edited by RinkerNorway on
    Located the problem.

connector in the middle of the picture had come apart just enough that it had no connection.

All is working
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing better than an easy and free fix!!!!
    2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe put a tie wrap around it to prevent it from happening again if the clip is broken.
    2008 330EC
  • ivy282ivy282 Member Posts: 4
    I have sort of same issue, what location was that connector found in? I have a 282 have power to switch and circuit breaker. When I hit button to open power drops out. Like I have a bad ground?
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Having a similar issue as this old post.

While underway yesterday lost power to Raymarine multifunction display  (chart/radar), nav lights, vhf, horn, arch lights, floor lights, transom light. Also no power to main blower or engine hatch.

Batteries are new this year. VV display still works as do all engine functions (Axius, etc.). Checked every available breaker - nothing unusual found.

I have a feeling it's a multi-pin connector that may be loose somewhere?

Anyone have a 2014 310 EC diagram to see if all these route through same bundle/connector? Or where to look to troubleshoot some more?
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're right about a multi pin coming undone. When you find it, wrap a zip tie around it after securing!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for a connector on the backside of the battery switch panel.  Should be a connector that sends all of those circuits up to the helm.  

The VV is powered by the DTS circuit, so it would not be affected.  
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea - Are you talking about this panel? Unscrew and check the connectors?

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think that's the only place where you'd find wiring that affects the helm AND the blowers/engine hatch.  

Of course, yours is wired totally different from mine, so I might be off-target here.
  • jandavjandav Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I had a similar problem on my 280EC -2007. The Engine hatch stoped working and the problem was the connector the sits close to the hatch.