2002 FV 270 vs 2002 232 Captiva BR

Good morning.  We checked out a FV270 last weekend.  We really liked it, but it seems so big after owning a 22' Cutty.  It's been on the Mississippi so the bottom needs a good cleaning.  Otherwise, very clean and well kept boat.  The owner is a mechanic.  He put in new AC Delco batteries, all new trailer tires, and new sea pump last year.  Asking $19k, so it doesn't seem too bad.  I think he has room to lower price also.  Then, I found a 2002 232 Captiva BR with 350 Mag and captains call.  I really like the layouts of the Captiva BR.  He's asking $16k with trailer.  I know the ride difference would be huge, but we live in Iowa and boat on Rathbun Lake, so we never worry much about really rough water.  Maybe go to LOTO a few times.  Any thoughts from anyone that is an owner of either of these?  $3k difference really has me wondering.

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 270 would be a great overnighter. Does it have AC and a generator?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

Lot of room and ride difference between a cruiser and a cuddy.  Cruisers are more roomy and usually have better options for overnight use.  But they tend to weigh more so not as good fuel efficiency.  

It really boils down to what kind of boating you do.  If you're mostly a day boater then the Captiva should do the job for you.  But if you're considering longer trips and overnighting, a cruiser is a good option.

When we got our first cruiser we were upgrading from an 18 foot bowrider to a 28 foot Fiesta Vee.  It was intimidating to me at first.  But after 6 seasons we were ready to get more elbow room.  In our case we over night a lot.  There was a long trip we wanted to take but felt we needed our current boat for that.

Regardless what you decide, be sure to get a survey done.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Grizwold28Grizwold28 Member Posts: 4
    The 270 would be a great overnighter. Does it have AC and a generator?
    AC, but no generator.  I thought about just getting a quiet Honda 2500W to strap on the swim platform. I honestly don't think that we would overnight as much as my wife thinks.  We have 15 and 11 year old boys, so it would work well for now. 
    Stodge said:
    Welcome aboard.

Lot of room and ride difference between a cruiser and a cuddy.  Cruisers are more roomy and usually have better options for overnight use.  But they tend to weigh more so not as good fuel efficiency.  

It really boils down to what kind of boating you do.  If you're mostly a day boater then the Captiva should do the job for you.  But if you're considering longer trips and overnighting, a cruiser is a good option.

When we got our first cruiser we were upgrading from an 18 foot bowrider to a 28 foot Fiesta Vee.  It was intimidating to me at first.  But after 6 seasons we were ready to get more elbow room.  In our case we over night a lot.  There was a long trip we wanted to take but felt we needed our current boat for that.

Regardless what you decide, be sure to get a survey done.  
    Who does the surveys?  Our first cutty was bought from the original owners and it was immaculate with low hours so I didn't worry about it.  Another thing is the hours on the motor.  I take it that you need to go to a marine mechanic so they can put the computer on to check the hours on both the Captiva and the FV?  Is there any thing I can buy online that will tell you the hours, etc like a diagnostic tool or something?

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a Google search for "Marine Surveyors" in your area. Ask around at a few marina' s maybe too.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you ca pull the hours...270 will have an engine hour meter but no guaranty that's correct...
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2002 270 does not have an hour meter.  I get the hours from VVM.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    You can pull the hours but you need an expensive scan tool like the Rinda. Or VVM.
    A decent shop would have the Rinda or Mercury scan tool. Worked on my 2000 270 even though not VVM compatible.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You also need to think on you are towing the boat. The truck may deside the boat. An 11 and 15 year old boy I think you'll over night every weekend.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn’t the “BR” stand for bow rider? There’s a huge difference between a 232 BR and a 270 cruiser.
    2008 330EC
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does. And yes two totally different boats. If you don't think you'll sleep out much, then get the 232.. I have a 270 with a honda generator, I have to say... the only reason I'd fire up the honda on the swim platform would be if I need AC to sleep. Normally there's enough of a breeze to shut that down and just keep the windows open :) 
    He's down to $17,500 now on the 270.  Yes, the 232 is a bow rider and I know there would be a huge difference in the ride and everything.  I really like them both and we've thought we've wanted a cruiser for a long time, but never felt we could afford one until now.  Our cutty was always pretty cool even in the heat of the summer being down by the water line.  I haven't seen the 232 in person yet, so I want to check it out before making the decision.  Ultimately, a test run in each would really make me feel more comfortable.  The guy with the 270 let me pull it with my Sierra Denali and it pulled it.  I could tell it was behind by all means, but it did handle it.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

If you have the means to pull the 270, then I'd say go with it.  With the two boys, staying out all night is the greatest thing going!  You can still use that boat for water sports as well.  That is a really great price if all is ok with the boat.  Good luck and keep us informed!  You found the best place for any help you'll need with either boat! :)

I have a 17 year old daughter and 15 year old son.  They wouldn't miss a single night on the hook!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

As a 270 owner I'm biased. Like you we also looked at moving up to a cruiser but had to wait for the right deal to come along and we could afford it. Took over two years of looking around. I think you have the right idea, try them both and look at the pro's and con's. But to repeat, once you are thinking of pulling the trigger, have a professional marine survey done. They will look for things you might not even think of. Makes it easier dealing with insurance companies too, in fact many will want it done as a condition of the policy. Also consider a mechanical survey of engine and drive. This is usually separate from the marine/hull survey but again well worth it. There are a bunch of us on here that bought what looked like perfectly sound boats only to find an engine or drive change or re-build was needed early on. Not a surprise you want, especially if budget is tight.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <raises hand> Dropped 20,000 on my "new to me in perfect condition" boat.. one weekend after buying it, when it needed a new engine..the thread is around here somewhere.. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I know other folks around here who've had similar things happen.  It happens with all brand boats and all brand engines.  IMO it's things like that which make drinking such a common part of boating.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 232cc for 13 seasons and moved up to a 280EC. As much as I loved my 232cc, I am so much happier with my 280EC. We can do so much more on the boat and it makes overnighting on the boat much easier. No matter what you get, your children will be happy on the water.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    As a bowrider guy I vote for the BR! Clearly these are totally different boats meant for totally different boating uses. This is kind of like asking which is the better vehicle, an RV or a sports car - depends of your usage..... Since I have property on the river, the boat for me is for boating not for sleeping or cooking or hosting parties. 

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
     I really like them both and we've thought we've wanted a cruiser for a long time, but never felt we could afford one until now. 
    I guess this statement is why I went more towards the cruiser, but I do agree nhsd, it really depends on usage.  I will say though, a 270 can be a pretty good day boat as well and I'm sure the wife and kids would like a nice head (& place to shower off).  270 is a big boat to trailer around.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express