Options

TV/Cable Aboard

2»

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought it direct from Apple, wanted to be sure it would work and wanted a full year warranty if it stops working. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    One additional comment, in the $45 per month Hulu live package there are some commercials, not as bad as live tv but if you pay an additional $6 per month you are commercial free on all but one or two networks. We plan to add that. If you dvr then you can fast forward through commercials, comes with 50 hr memory for dvr.

• Options
    cmelt2003cmelt2003 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    I work for AT&T so I have the directv app and HBO streaming plus Netflix. So I’m wonder how all of that is going to work at the marina. 
  • Options
    all depends on your marina wifi. Ours has been historically not great. This year its been good, they added more towers, but kids are not out of school yet so that could change just in the evenings. One of my dock mates is in IT and says that part of my good luck with the wifi this year is that my ipad is less than a year old and has an upgraded internet chip which makes some sence because I notice that the ipad works better than my iphone 7. 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded our wifi last year at the club, Spectrum 100MB incoming and over our Labor Day event we maxed out Saturday night with over 100 devices connected and pulled around 80G. Need a good pipe into the facility as well as good wifi infrastructure.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited June 2019
    icoultha said:
    I upgraded our wifi last year at the club, Spectrum 100MB incoming and over our Labor Day event we maxed out Saturday night with over 100 devices connected and pulled around 80G. Need a good pipe into the facility as well as good wifi infrastructure.
    This has been the argument with our marina for years. They dont have enough coming in to sustain the peaks of 800 boats. They claim that at the peaks we are still not using anywhere near the max width, but it slows so much at the peaks that doesnt jive. The additional towers seem to help but yea it has to be a good amount coming in on the front end....

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    They may not be at max capacity to/from the internet provider, but the internal network (access points, routers, etc.) could be saturated.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    You gotta convince them based upon a hose with a 4 way on the end with 4 hoses connected. Turn on the hose and wash your boat with one hose - good pressure. Then get slip neighbor Bob next you to do his at the same time - little drop in pressure but manageable. Then get corner guy Jack to do his - hmm, can't quite reach the bow from here now and when other corner Jim turns on hose, maybe you can pee faster. Turn theirs off - better! uh ****, 3 slips down those 4 clowns opened up their hoses and so I lost pressure again.

People often don't understand how this works - but they understand the garden hose, boat wash or hot shower when someone downstairs flushes the toilet.

As far as peaks go it depends what they are measuring where. My gear will provide a gig of bandwidth capability between the mesh antennae so we'll unlikely peak unless the kids start peer serving movies to each other but the incoming pipe's not that big anyway but Labor Day - seems it was big enough for the load we had. It is also equipment dependent as to how traffic is managed and handed off to another node. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I have a Slingbox on my tv at home and it streams all channels to my iPhone.  I then take an HDMI cable from the iPhone (there's a $50 adapter for this) to the TV on the boat.