Options

Installation notes: ProMariner ProIsoCharge battery isolator

13»

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    ProMariner has not replied to my email yet. What a disappointment. 

Moving on. Life is short. 

Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    They offered to inspect the bad unit and replace if defective.  I don't want the boat to be inop for that long, so I bought a new one and will get them to refund the purchase price. 
  • Options
    Are they willing to pay for shipping?
  • Options
    No, warranty evaluation does not include shipping.
  • Options
    So I finally got a response from ProMariner yesterday, exactly two weeks after I sent the email to support.  Great customer service  :#

How are you making out @LaRea ?  Did they refund you yet?
  • Options
    I've been too busy to ship the old unit yet.
  • Options
    Did you have yours bridged between output 3 and 4?
  • Options
    Yes, as they recommended.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Ok a positive update - they are offering to replace my unit. Shipping to me at no charge.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    Received the replacement unit on Friday; very quick turn-around once they acknowledged my email.  I will continue to recommend the ProMariner charger but not their isolator.
  • Options
    I just ended my 30-month love/hate relationship with the ProIsoCharge.  I removed the unit and replaced it with two automatic charge relay (ACR) modules.

I love the IDEA of the ProIsoCharge and the smart way it manages charging.  Unfortunately, there were just too many problems.  The relay chatter issue was a major problem that cost me many hours of hard work.  Installing the circuit board, replacing the circuit board, troubleshooting the problem, then replacing the ProIsoCharge under warranty ... and then the almost-brand-new system just stopped working completely.  
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    As per @YYZRC I installed a new Pro Mariner Charger and a new isolator and has worked fine. I was considering changing both alternator's sense wire to read the house bank and charge accordingly. The start batteries would still charge. After a night or two at anchor the house bank can be down to 50% but would only be charged at the start battery voltage. Any comments?
  • Options
    While that approach wouldn’t benefit the style of boating I do (anchor in one place for several days and then return to marina shorepower), I think that’s a really smart approach for someone who moves from anchorage to anchorage without shorepower in between. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @larea @raybo3 maybe we need a post owned by a moderator that has reviews/experiences with vendors/products. No replies allowed, just a link to threads. 

Example companies/products: Ameritex, ProIsoCharge, Dometic, All American Drive

edit: should be both positive and negative
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    @YYZRC OK I put a thread up. Lets see what happens. If it works great if not then I will delete it. My bet is that @LaRea will be the first post....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Peter13Peter13 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Sorry , I had missed in the section

Best Regards from Cologne send´s Peter .
  • Options
    Embarrassing discovery ... I just might possibly have been less than 100% fully accurate when I wrote that my ProIsoCharge battery isolator had failed.  

Neither side was charging with engines running, and the long-balky ProIsoCharge seemed to be the obvious culprit.  I prematurely proclaimed victory after I replaced it with voltage-sensitive relays. 

Then I found that it didn't fix the problem.  On both sides, engine running, the output side of the alternator was at 12.5 volts (same as the battery).  In other words, neither alternator was working.

YES -- these are the same API Marine alternators that I installed brand-new in 2020 as preventative maintenance.  It seems that they both failed.  I never suspected them as the problem, so I blamed the isolator.

Installed new alternators today.  Problem gone.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good find @LaRea. This sounds like something I would have done or probably have done 😂. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988