Options

Well crud

2»

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got a video of my new engine on the stand and running.  It's getting put in the boat today.  Plan is to bring her home tomorrow just in time for a trip to Port Huron.  Fingers crossed.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Did you upgrade the exhaust or switch to 496 lol
  • Options
    So conclusion is hydro lock?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats awesome! So did insurance replace it then?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Spacers are being added to both engines.  Yes it was hydrolock.  And yes insurance did pay out a claim.

Just glad it's almost time to bring her home.

• Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    @Stodge thats awesome insurance covered that, do you have a specific policy added for mechanical? 
  • Options
    Good to hear Stodge 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id also like info on this insurance policy, i pay full coverage on 2 boats, one 20 yrs old and another nearly 40 and im not sure either have any mechanical damage coverage from ski safe.
  • Options
    I don't have a special rider.  I believe it was covered because the water should never have entered where it did.  I don't think they'd cover a failure under normal conditions.

The company is One Beacon.  

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say it would not have left the factory with out the spacers....did you have manifolds changed recently or any work that they would have been removed? I know you have had the boat for some time, can't imagine it would not have happened much earlier if they were not there all along....very odd!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note to self come off plane slowly.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Note to self come off plane slowly.
    Sounds like a new thread...............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Well he prob had a dinghy on which adds weight so ye coming off plane slow is the key 
  • Options
    I had a customer ( new to cruisers ) loose one of the engines because of that.
    his wife thought anchor came loose while on plane and he dropped the throttles.
    port side toast and star lived 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I still say it would not have left the factory with out the spacers....did you have manifolds changed recently or any work that they would have been removed? I know you have had the boat for some time, can't imagine it would not have happened much earlier if they were not there all along....very odd!
    As best I can figure out, the spacers were made standard after this boat was made.

• Options
    We made the 45 mile trip from home to Port Huron without incident, and without the spacers.  Leaving boat at shop on way home for them to be installed. Should have her back before the weekend.

Now the big decision.  Do I replace the port engine?  Starboard had 895 hours.  Port is 200 hours younger.  Seems it died at 200 hours and was replaced as a warranty claim.

My thought is replace port between 2020 and 2021 season.  We are planning a 600+ mile trip around Georgian Bay and it would be nice to do it with young engines. 

The other option   I've been debating is going to something like a Jeaneau N895 (30 foot with twin outboards) or a Beneteau Swift Trawler 30.  Both get upwards to 2MPG at 25MPG.  But the cost is a lot higher.

Guess time will tell.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swift Trawler is one of my favorites!!  B)
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swift is sure nice. Semi plane hull I beleive?
    Maybe also take a look at the Ranger Tug line. We see a lot of them since the Eastern Canada dealer is on Lake Simcoe. Nice design and with the exchange it should be priced well.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Swift is sure nice. Semi plane hull I beleive?
    Maybe also take a look at the Ranger Tug line. We see a lot of them since the Eastern Canada dealer is on Lake Simcoe. Nice design and with the exchange it should be priced well.
    The Ranger tugs with outboards would work for my speed/MPG requirement, but they only come in the 23 and 25 foot last time I looked.  I do look at them at the boat shows.  Actually thinking of going to the Toronto show this January.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge that would be awesome. Let me know and maybe we can meet. Tip: sign up for the Captain's Club on their website and you'll get a decent discount on pre-sale tickets as well as chances to win free rooms and a newsletter. If it gets annoying you can unsubscribe from the newsletter but still get the discount.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @Willhound I have signed up in the past.  I'll see if they are set up yet.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I'm not a fan of Jeanneau's outboard models.  There's an 895 in my marina.  It looks nice, but there are too many things that are either European-odd or just missing altogether.  No generator, no swim platform, tiny little cockpit.  It's nice, but it doesn't have that Rinker functionality.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I'm not a fan of Jeanneau's outboard models.  There's an 895 in my marina.  It looks nice, but there are too many things that are either European-odd or just missing altogether.  No generator, no swim platform, tiny little cockpit.  It's nice, but it doesn't have that Rinker functionality.  
    I haven't been able to see one up close.  My interest is based on the MPG.  

My interest in the Beneteau is based on speed, MPG and the option to have a separate shower and head.  

Basically give me a 31-32 foot boat that can get 2MPG at 25MPH that has a usable (separated) shower and I'm good.