Options

engine quit on me

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
The admiral and I were happily cruising to one of our favorite coves in our 270 in Rhode Island when the engine quit. Everything was good, engine temp and oil pressure then nothing. It stopped like someone pulled the kill switch. Had to get towed back. I am guessing it’s fuel (5.7 MPI). Has a half tank so I didn’t run out. Changed the fuel water separator, no dice. The marina is going to look at it hopefully tomorrow. Hope it’s nothing too bad!  

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Not a pretty picture! Has the starter been working ok? Any other weird things going on?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fuel most likely would not have just popped dead... there would have been at least a residual though momentary cough as it failed, even at planing speed, as the pressure relieved. 

check spark.  primarily, check the breaker.  then, check fuse panel.  then check the coil wire to the dizzy.  check grounds. (sniff for fuel, run the blowers a few minutes) pull the coil wire from the center of your dizzy and lay it across the exhaust manifolds and observe for spark.  if there is? pull dizzy cap and see what state the rotor button and points are in. 
  • Options
    and on an aside: the USCG will pull you in a heartbeat for towing someone like SeaTow or any of the tow services will (and are set up to do), but they do it all the time.  it always struck me as odd.... dunno if they're just looking for a reason to check us out, or if they are really concerned about the tow, but according to them, the 'proper' way to do it is alongside.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yep I would guess something electrical before fuel I picked up this clear plastic piece that connects between the wire and plug to check for spark I think I got it at harbor freight
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    "Alongside" tows are safer than towing in tandem because a boat with a disabled motor has no "brakes" i.e. reverse when it gets up to speed and gains momentum.
    Andy
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To check for fuel there is an air valve on the fuel rail just hit the center like a tire and it spit a little fuel out. 
    For spark pull the coil wire out of the dizzy like @212rowboat said. If no spark make sure the remote (throttle handle) safety thing (lanyard) is not cutting out power.
     I think I would also lean to electrical  glad you weren't 1/2 way to block!!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    212 you mentioned a breaker.  Is there a main electric breaker somewhere I can check?  Most of the folks I talked to agree with you that it an electrical issue. 
  • Options
    Atop your engine. Big red thing. 

If it's tripped, next question: why? 
  • Options
    Thanks 212, I will check that!  That would be a huge relief. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Does your dizzy have an ignitor mounted under the rotary button? I had a 4.3 vortec s10 for nearly 300,000 miles and every 100k the ignitor(or ignition module) would die unexpectedly killing all spark.  Very common failure.  Since the 4.3 of the 90s was just a 350 minus 2 cylinders when it comes to the efi systems.

Ti diagnose Id toss a timing light on any spark plug wire and turn it over to check for spark, if timing light doesnt flash there is no spark.  If no spark i then check voltage to coil. Then i bench test coil. If all checks out id then replace the  ignitor.  
  • Options
    Thanks Rick, I’ll get down there Wednesday and check it out
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Might be push reset breaker or slide reset
  • Options
    Thank you all.  It was in fact a simple fix. Fuel pump fuse on the engine had a bad contact. You guys are the best and I didn’t have to break out another thousand! 
  • Options
  • Options
    So, for future reference, how did you track this down?
  • Options
    I did not hear the fuel pump with the key on so I knew that was the problem. Another poster told me about the fuses on top of the engine. Had I known I could hand fixed it without the tow. I will carry extra fuses from now on! 
  • Options
    fuse or that relay with the big red button on it? Why I turn my key, I thought the noise I was hearing is the trim actuators....?

• Options
    No you will hear your fuel pump ras
    there are 3-4 relays and a fuse block with 4 fuses and 5th being a spare usually.
    main breaker can be just reset.
    fuses sometimes are either behind the engine or port side riser area 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I will post a picture 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    This is the fuse
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    This was the culprit. 
  • Options
    I will have to look...had no idea there were any other fuses down around the motor, just don't recall seeing the box...and I had my motor in my garage!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a 270 2002 I don't think I have those fuses there either 
  • Options
    i've seen them hanging off the battery, and i've seen them mounted adjacent the main lead to trim motors... they 'should' be there somewhere, though.  

@luvinlife :  if the fuse was blown, it is worth your while to figure out why.  if it was just old and tired, that is one thing.  if it's corroded that's one thing.  if it is a healthy fuse that blows again, that is a whole other thing and something you're gonna want to investigate. ...... just a heads up.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think on our 2003 5.0’s I’ve seen fuses. Just the 2 relays. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    There was some corrosion, which I believe caused the fuse to blow. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Id be interested in the differences between vp and merc. My 290 did not have the interrupt solenoid.  The engines OS should (5.7 vs 5 .7) should be comparable but coded differently so the obd is read with different certifications. 

Does the bravo use an interrupt switch?

• Options
    Good to know. All the diesels i tinker with now are electroically controlled so many times there is no simple 12v fuel cut off solenoids on an injection pump to just kill the motor for an interrupt switch.  I need to do a little more research but as of now i think my target motor is a mercedes om606.  I'd just like to play around with prop calculators and see how i cam get the boat to cruise comfortably in the 3200 to 3500 rpm range in the mid 20s mph range.     I realize i can put a mechanical injection om603 pump on the motor but e control makes these euro diesels so much smoother and more efficient on any given rpm/load.
  • Options
    So what is the interupt needed for?