Options

342 fresh water tank leak

DanWDanW Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
Hello,

I have a 2002 342 and recently developed a leak at the fresh water tank. I’m not sure if the tank itself is leaking or it’s leaking where the hose connects from the tank to the pump. I searched this forum and YouTube and see how to dismantle the aft cabin to access the tank. But does anyone know if there is a way to get to the pump connection to make sure it didn’t come loose before I completely tear apart the cabin? I tried to reach my arm over the bulkhead from the engine room, but couldn’t reach far enough. I see there’s an access hatch under the ice maker, but that doesn’t look like I would be able to reach far enough either. 

Thanks,
Dan
2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
1998 Regal 2100 LSR

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The access under the icemaker should be plenty to check connections. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have a video on here somewhere's on taking the aft cabin apart on my 2005....not sure if its the same on a 2002 but as BD stated, you should be able to check everything via the access plate under the icemaker.

Update.....here is the link to my youtube video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_q8jW_EdZ0
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Thanks! I’ll take a look under the ice maker.

i saw the you tube video. It’s a fantastic video and I think it’s the same for the 2002 model. Thanks for making it. Hopefully, it’s just a loose connection and I don’t have to tear apart the cabin. 

Dan
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    You stated that you developed a leak....how do you know that? Where are you seeing water? 
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    I’m getting water in the forward bilge underneath the aft bed. I removed the starboard side panel in the storage compartment behind mirror so I could see the tank. There is a stream of water coming from under the tank. 

Additionally, the tank isn’t holding water. Fill it up and it’s empty by morning. The pump isn’t running though which why I suspect the leak is before the fresh water pump. I’m hoping it’s a hose fitting and not the tank itself though. 

Dan
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy that the bottom of the tank would crack open like that. Agree with Dan that you will need to take apart the stbd side of the aft cabin per his video to remove and replace.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)