Options

Problem shifting bravo III into forward

2»

Comments

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    That sounds kinda how my problem started.  Would leave marina at idle speed.  Once out, would put out of gear, then into reverse to kick weeds off props, then back into forward.  Boat would slowly move forward (which seemed normal), and as I slightly gave it more throttle, i’d get the clunk.  In my case, the good drive was moving me forward so it seemed fine till the clunk.  

In in your case could your initial forward movement be more exhaust coming out through outdrive, slowly propelling you, making you think prop is working, but it’s really not engaged till the clunk?
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Could be a possibility. Didn't think the exhaust would move a 7500lb boat plus 4 adults forward though?

How big of a deal was the cone clutch? How long was it down and what would be a ballpark cost?

The boat only has 240 hours on it
  • Options
    6 hours labor, 1250 total cost.  Biggest concern at marina was getting parts.  Dropped off boat to get fixed, and picked it up 10 days later.
  • Options
    Thanks. Probably wait until we pull it for the season. Usually pull it mid to late September so only a few more weeks
  • Options
    Ow, short season.  We shoot for early to mid October.
  • Options
    We have to be out by the end of October by contract but we don't really get out in October anyway so pull out a few weeks early and get it ready for hibernation.
  • Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    Thanks ruggerole for the detent link. If you are still around I have a couple of questions. Was the detent noticeably weak or worn? Did you replace the gasket and did you use any kind of sealant for reassembly? I just purchase a 2003 with bravo 3s and I am having problems finding neutral.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I've replaced the detent before and there is no sealant needed for reassembly.  It is actually very surprising how easy it was to work on.  I did mine with the boat sitting on a lift (using a raft of course).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    Thanks. I I'm going for it this weekend. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Thanks. I I'm going for it this weekend. 
    It really is pretty simple.  Post a picture or two, maybe it'll help the next person.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express