Options

do you leave your house battery on when not at the dock?

Why is the fridge connected to the batteries and not the power panel like the range and microwave?  When I leave for the week I switch my batteries to the off position to not drain the battery but when I return my beers in the fridge are warm.  Should I keep the battery switch  on while gone for a week and plugged into shorepower? Is the charging system going to keep my battery from dying?  
Thank you! 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know on my 342 it was originally set up to run on DC only, I had to add the converter so it would auto switch from AC to DC.  There is a thread on here that had the converter info.  Otherwise, I leave all my batteries on and the charger on too all the time.  Turning the batteries 'off' does not cut all the power, things like bilge pumps, Mercathode, stereo all pull power all the time.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ericdataericdata Member Posts: 38
    Thanks BD, I'll search around for the converter thread.  Just to clarify if I leave my#2 battery on with the show power plugged in,  it will not kill the battery?  
  • Options
    You'll be fine with the battery on and the shore power on. Just make sure the batteries are full of water if you have that type.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I never shut off my batteries....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never shut off my batteries. The shore power keeps up with my load no problem.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Leave mine on both or all depending on your switch when at the slip

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I turn all batteries off when not on boat. fridge runs on shore power so always cold beer! the reason being is if I leave something on I dont want the extra drain on bat. one time I left the vaccu on an it lost its vaccum so the pump ran for a few days which was not good on the pump or the batteries regardless on shore power.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    I leave my batteries on.  I turn off everything at the breaker panel escept battery chargers, fridges, ice maker.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Like most everyone here, I leave the boat powered up 24/7.  I have green stickers on the panel next to the breakers I want to leave turned on and red stickers on the panel next to the breakers I want to leave turned off.  Most of the breakers can be either way.  But when I leave the boat, the stickers help me to set the important ones correctly.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Thanks Al, it's the carbon fridge.  My cockpit fridge on my 270 is a cooler ;) I'm gonna leave my #2 on food now on.  Cheers! 
  • Options
    So last weekend let the shore power on,  battery charger switch on, battery on#2 position.  This weekend #2 drained.   Shore power stilled plugged in,  and power still on.   Not sure what happened.  I was thinking of leaving both on but didn't want to risk both being drained next weekend. I checked under the engine compartment and threw battery charger light is on.  Any suggestions?   Thanks!  
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I Never turn off the batteries.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Eric, is it possible your fridge draws more amps then your charger replaces? Look at the specs for both
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    Kewl will do Thanks Brian

• Options

Hard to imagine the frig can draw more than the charger can handle, unless: frig running constantly, charger not working correctly, or you have a bad battery(s).  When my cockpit frig was 100% DC it worked fine on the charger.  I might suspect the charger has issues.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Eric, do you have two starter batteries and no house battery?  I am not sure exactly how you boat is wired, for not only does manufacturer change from model to model, previous owners can really mess things up.  My thoughts are get a multimeter.  Can be a cheap one from harbor freight or a good one, doesn't matter for these tests.  Turn off the battery charger breaker.  Attach leads from meter to battery to test Voltage D/C.  Have someone flip the breaker and verify that the meter jumps a bit.  Do the same for the other battery.  That will tell you that the batteries are even connected to the charger.  Now, turn your battery switches both to off, or if you have one, to off.  Do the same thing to both batteries with the breaker and meter.  This will verify that the charger will still charge when your switch is turned off.  Now, for testing the wiring to the fridge, you will need to either pull the fridge to test quickly, to find out which battery is powering the fridge, or both, or slowly by turning off both, opening the fridge door, and after a while, turn one on and verify the cool is coming on, then off, and then the other battery and verify the same.  Next would be taking the batteries to an auto parts store and have them both tested.  

Okay, so now you have a picture of your whole system, a how it is wired and running.  If everything checks out here, you have a few options.  You can pull the charger and send it somewhere to get it tested to make sure it is putting out the correct voltage/amperage and charging cycle that it should have.  Also, depending on the charger, if it has the capacity and the extra line, you could put in a house battery and run the fridge independently of the rest of the battery system, though you will need a battery isolator as well, if you want to run it correctly.  We wont go there now...run these simple tests and report back with all the results if you need more assistance on the issue.  Hopefully something pops up that is a no-brainer, and you can fix it easily.  Fingers crossed.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Eric, also this was just posted on a 270, check out to make sure this isn't the same strangeness on yours.

jmoen438 Posts: 16Member 
    I discovered that the fridge is wired through the range switch on the panel when on shore power. Wonder if its the same on battery? My project today while its in the driveway getting packed for camping. 2005 FV270
    - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1124/interesting-refrigerator-factoid#latest
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Ok im back with a current update. I almost 100% positive that my fridge is only connected to the battery. I have all switches on the main panel on and the batteries off and no power to the fridge. What should I do know?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on shore power? Is your shore power working? Is the charger working?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    You should leave your batteries on and the shore power on with the charger.  Your mercathode alone will drain the batteries.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Shore power on and working but it seems that the charger might not be functioning properly.  The red light is on, but the batteries drain while plugged into shore power.  Inside the battery switch compartment there seems to be 2 breakers for the battery charger. Is it possible that the breakers are bad?   Any ideas?   Thanks guys!!  
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Your ac power cord fell out. You need to pull the fridge and plug it back in.... Then you can turn your batteries off when not at the boat.
  • Options
    This could be why the batteries drain when in on shore power. Its drawing more power than the charger can charge. Ok so is there screws in the front of the fridge? How do I pull it out? Thanks so much!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    The fridge alone should not drain the batteries. The charger should be able to handle that. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    SanityCheckSanityCheck Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

I leave the batteries on when at the dock on shore power.

Don't really see a reason not to.

• Options
    Aw man, I was getting my hopes high that it was just the fridge.  When I'm on shore power and the batteries are on, I drain.  Yesterday I had the multimeter but my 9volt battery was dead so couldn't run a test.  I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you guys know my results.   Cheers! 
  • Options
    Checking to make the sure it is still plugged into the AC outlet is smart, it can work loose.  Your charger should easily keep the battery charged with the frig on, sounds like your charger might be not working correctly.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like charger related to me. FYI my ac converter burnt out on my fridge so it only runs on dc. So I leave my dc system on all the time while under shore power. I have no issues with keeping the batteries topped off.
  • Options
    I'm convinced it's my charger but here's my next issue.  The current charger is a 15 amp older unit that isn't available.  Should I go up to the 20A charger, or will the 12A be sufficient?  
  • Options

For what is it is worth, Alswagg recommended these guys for chargers:

http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/marine.html

PC BYC, Holland, MI