Options

do you leave your house battery on when not at the dock?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the price difference? I would hesitate going for less than what you currently have 15 amps. Make sure the charger can charge both your crank batter and your deep cycle in parallel. There are different charge settings for crank and deep cycle batteries.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ericdataericdata Member Posts: 38
    It's not much, like $50 more.  Is it ok to have more amps?
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I would go 20A.  If you have a house and a starter battery, they should be either split on two channels of the charger or by an isolater.  Either way, you could always add an additional house battery to give yourself more time away from the shore power at some point.  I have two starter (twin engine) and two house batteries.  Never killed them yet.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gsl is right, make sure you get a charger that splits on two channels, and is programmable on each channel for the crank batter settings and the deep cycle battery settings.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    A bad battery can caused a lot of havoc.... I only leave my house batteries on if I have some food in the fridges... a power outage can destroy the food so I leave the house on in case. To remove the fridge, just take out the six screws and pull directly out. Once out you will see the power cord and electrical outlet. Even if it looks plugged in, remove it and push it back in. I think you have a bad battery that may have some shorted cells if your battery charger is working normally.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    BTW, whenever we pull anything on a boat that has a 110v plug on it we put a simple plastiuc zip tie on it to hold it in place. A partially disconnected 110v plug on a boat is a real bad situation. My 2 cents. MT