2019 290 EX with 6.2 Volvo

I posted a while back about my 2019 290 EX max RPM's.  Wanted to know if anyone with a 290 EX and Volvo 6.2 liter 380 can tell me there max RPM and or top speed.  I get 40.9 MPH at 5100 RPM's. Volvo states in their owners manual that if i am not getting between 5600 and 6000 with that motor it will put too much strain on it and eventually damage it.  I would think Rinker would engineer the prop and lower unit on a brand new boat to operate within the motors recommended RPM range. 

Comments

• AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 2,579Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you have the incorrect prop    Get this checked out by your dealer ASAP   Lugging an engine will damage the valve train.   I would hope you have talked to your selling dealer.  Did they not water test? 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Flagstaff, AZ Posts: 405Member ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with your particular engine, and prop setup, but I do know from experience, elevation can drastically change performance.  I live at 7100 ft, and regularly boat at about 3000 ft.  The difference in power from the boat is MAJOR at those different places.  Just an idea....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • salcolkatsalcolkat Posts: 11Member
    I confirmed with Rinker the F5 prop and 2.14 lower unit are correct for the boat.  
    Do not trust Rinker. They are not Volvo technicians.  Call your dealer.  
    Alswagg said:
    Do not trust Rinker. They are not Volvo technicians.  Call your dealer.  

I got the prop/lower unit information from Rinker without telling them i was having a problem.  I just ask the parts dept. what prop/lower unit goes on the 290 with my motor.  I didn't think they would have any reason to be dishonest about a simple question. 
    I am at sea level
    Do you really think they test run every model and engine combination on the water?   Yes, at one time they did, but not any more. Do yourself a favor and have your boat tested by a qualified Volvo dealer.  Or don’t and leave as is.  Much different engine between Merc 6.2 and Volvo 6.2. No part is the same. Completely different torque ranges.