Ready to rock!!

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍🏻👍🏻⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Please let me know how this works for you. Why did you go with this brand instead of say Marine stable 360?

• Options
    @YYZRC , was it your bad sender that was making it look like you were burning more on your starboard side?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No the sender is unrelated to the fuel burn calcs. I know this because I have been running with and without the sender connected.  

I noticed no difference after using the cleaner. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury this a solution to poping and back firing. After you try plugs....
    Actually I did the plugs, wires, rotor and cap and ran better than it ever has.  Well, at least for the hour I drove it!
  • Options
    I have now swapped plugs, wires, cap/rotor MAP and PCV between engines and still the starboard is consuming 10+ litres/hour more than port. Will try swapping the coils this week and if that doesn’t work I’m going to order new injectors. 
  • Options
    How about the regulator on the cool fuel module? Also, when was the last time the filter in the module was replaced?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @aero3113 I replaced both cool fuel filters mid last season (after I burned off all the 2 year old stagnant gas). How does the regulator work and where is it exactly?

Maybe I will swap the cool fuel modules between engines. 
  • Options

It’s right on top of the module. I would check that first before you swap modules. It has a screen on it to filter the fuel. I’m not sure exactly how it works on the module.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I will check that. 

In addition to the high fuel burn, the starboard engine also lacks power at full RPM. Full throttle launch I get 4300 on port and only 3800-3900 on starboard. This is the exact same issue I had when I first got the boat and it was a bad plug. 

Up to 2800 rpm’s both engines are matched on fuel burn and throttle position. After 2800, starboard needs more throttle and gulps fuel relative to port. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If that fuel regulator is dirty, you'd have much bigger problems.  Take it from someone that has gone thru a total of 4 fuel cool modules.  Yep, the ole paint issue striked too many times!  Supposedly the new ones don't have it, but I'm using non-ethanol now most of the time.  Anyway, I don't think the regulator is the issue but easy enough to look at.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited August 2022
    @Dream_Inn you are a patient man.  4 cool fuel modules?!  I would be furious.

I found the cross for the Bosch injectors and I'm just going to go ahead and swap them out on both engines.  I've read lots about the cool fuel modules and paint flakes clogging injectors.  Boating season is too short to mess around with having someone test/clean them.

Bosch Part # 0 280 156 081
    Mercruiser Part # 885176

I ordered two sets on eBay, seller accepted $155 for eight injectors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164757344514
  • Options
    That’s a great deal @YYZRC . Please post the removal and replacement with pics if you don’t mind. Possibly a separate thread?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Hopefully they're genuine Bosch and not Bocsh!!

I will definitely take pics of the re-and-re.  Just like every boat repair I've tackled, it seems pretty straight forward but I'm sure 25 things will go wrong.
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    That’s a great deal @YYZRC . Please post the removal and replacement with pics if you don’t mind. Possibly a separate thread?
    X2

• Options
    edited August 2022
    New injectors are in. It was a very easy re-and-re. Had to remove the IAC assembly and of course the spark arrestor, plus the top bracket and throttle bracket. Total of 4 bolts hold the fuel rail in place. 

To remove the fuel rail I just pulled up at each corner until the injectors popped out. The injectors are held in the fuel rail with a square C clip. I made sure the rail wasn’t pressurized before I stated yanking out injectors. Some fuel spilled out so have a rag ready. 

Will test it out this weekend and report back if any changes. 
  • Options
    I had the boat out for the first time since the new injectors went in. The engines start quicker now (less cranking) and they sound smoother on plane, but otherwise no discernible (to me) changes. I’m happy I didn’t spend more to do this. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I will check that. 

In addition to the high fuel burn, the starboard engine also lacks power at full RPM. Full throttle launch I get 4300 on port and only 3800-3900 on starboard. This is the exact same issue I had when I first got the boat and it was a bad plug. 

Up to 2800 rpm’s both engines are matched on fuel burn and throttle position. After 2800, starboard needs more throttle and gulps fuel relative to port. 
    MY BOAT is the same way but reversed. 2005 Rinker 360 twin 496 mags bravo 3s

WOT Port 4500rpm Starboard 4900rpm  35.3MPH
    Loaded 4 people full tanks and tools
    Total fuel 183 gal @ $6.60 = $1205.97 Port 99 Gallons Starboard 84 Gallons
    the port engine also lacks power at cruise 
    port needs more throttle. New plugs and wires new filters fresh non ethanol fuel. After Labor Day I'll be checking fuel rail pressure, if they look good I will probably have to do a compression test. if they are off I will pull regulator and injectors on port engine.
    Please keep this thread active as will I defiantly want to correct this.
    Hope it is not a valve or compression issue. but boat seams to run fine. just low on top speed and port engine rpms down.

• Options
    I checked exhaust flappers (ok) and swapped the throttle position sensors (no change). Next I will swap the coils. 
  • Options
    Here are the correct o rings for anyone swapping injectors. 

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    YYZRC said:
    I will check that. 

I should have listened to you.  That's been my issue all summer while I've been chasing it!

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    mvn said:
    YYZRC said:
    I will check that. 

I should have listened to you.  That's been my issue all summer while I've been chasing it!

Mark
    Mark what have you tried so far?

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    As posted in another thread, I was suddenly faced with loss of power, reduced wot rpm, intermittent lean code on bank 1.  I tried new fuel filters, injector cleaner, resetting fuel tables, THOUGHT I had good spark so I ruled out ignition.  Turns out it was a bad plug just like @YYZRC had. 

Pick up the boat today... Can't wait to see how it should run!

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options