Options

Waiting for sea tow...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well...left the marina something made a noise and starting filling with water...my auto bielge did not kick on..started to over heat so shut down and opened the hatch...scary! No water coming in with engine stopped so must be the return hose somewhere...don't want to risk anything on the water...thankfully have sea tow....

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goid luck Ras. PFD's all around.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Glad your safe!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Glad you're OK.
  • Options
    at least the weather looks nice?
  • Options
    I’ve had that view twice, once when my 21 Regal overheated and once when my 242 spun a prop hub. SeaTow is a must!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    So I posted some comments but does not show?

Did not leak when I shut the motor down...so has to be water trying to exit the motor not coming in? Did not see any leak from any top side hoses...I have a thru Hull and a foot pick up for raw...and it did start to over heat...hmmmm.....also breaker keeps tripping on the winless which has hardly been used...I replaced the main breaker at the helm as a contact on the back had broken off- po may never even used it and I've only used it a few times...this is a new problem too...
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    This is no bueno.  Ive had leaks twice when running. Once from the water pump, crank driven, the seal was gone so she would pump raw water into the bilge and not the engine.  The second time was from leaky quick drain wing studs on the manifolds.   The water pump leak was on an aq volvo penta i owned.  

Im glad i pulled my motor when i did, i found my transom to power steering cooler water hose is super squishy, she doesnt have much life left in her and it's near impossible to reach with the motor out.

I now only run solid bronze fittings in the drains of the block/manifolds.  Wish i could find them in zink locally and toss every few seasons.(im in fresh water) harder to get drain but i only pull them once a year although with this super warm weather id have been at the lake over xmas break had my boat not be currently disassembled.

• Options
    I will take it to the ramp and start it on the trailer if I can't get down there and see something obvious.. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    My bet is on a rusted out hose clamp. Ras, glad you are safe.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a 7.3 powerstroke in that boat and never break down
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Glad your safe Ras that is the most important thing. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Absolutely and since we were out side the marina and not 30 miles up the river in bfe...we were home what 2 hours later? Don't get better than that...and I'm sure it's something the mechanic did when the motor went back in..oh wait!
  • Options
    I'll be real interested to see what I screwed up...no rusted clamps that's for sure... there ate so many friggin hoses on this motor and I'm sure the new ones are worse...
  • Options
    Hopefully its something simple and easy to access.  

• Options
    Easy to access...that's some funny s@#$! Lol...
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    No Sea Tow or anything around here. We have to rely on each other. But if it was an option I would definitely have it. I know a few that go out during the week and I'm sure they are the only ones out there. A couple years ago there was a fishing boat that was taking on water and it was the middle of the week. No other boaters around. Lucky for the there was a tugboat in the area that tie to them. Turns out there were 2' waves that day on the Ohio and the fishing boat was taking waves over the transom.
  • Options
    People around here will for sure help...just this time of the year there are not a lot of people on the water. Plus I figure with the bigger boat, might have bigger problems...plus the towing insurance saved me 509 bucks earlier this year so I'm more than way ahead...not sure where their pain threshold is...
  • Options
    You need a boat with 2 motors now Ras
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 7.3l would last. Boat would sink. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The 7.3 is right at 1200 lbs?, 2 small block cast iron 5.7 motors are @500 each.  

So a single screw 7.3 would be right on part with a dual screw 5.7 powered boat since the extra outdrive adds another 250 plus lbs.

I still think there are better/lighter diesels but finding a power stroke mechanic is easier than finding a vw, mercedes or yanmar diesel tech.  Parts (even oem) are much cheaper.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that 7.3 is not a turbo, you’ll have a gutless engine. lol. Add the turbo and now you need the intercooler. Then the outdrive mods for the low engine rpm and high torque (relative to a gasser). 

I had a 7.3l in my last truck. Rock solid engine. They rust out oil pans like nothing you have seen though. lol

Big fan of diesels, but unless you are ~generally~ 40+ foot range they make no economic sense for the up front cost.  A used 40’ will cost $50k more than the same boat on gas around me. That’s a lifetime of gas. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Black_Diamond there was no extra cost when I bought my 342 over a gas one however when I sold it a lot of people wanted it because it had the Yanmars 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    If that 7.3 is not a turbo, you’ll have a gutless engine. lol. Add the turbo and now you need the intercooler. Then the outdrive mods for the low engine rpm and high torque (relative to a gasser). 

I had a 7.3l in my last truck. Rock solid engine. They rust out oil pans like nothing you have seen though. lol

Big fan of diesels, but unless you are ~generally~ 40+ foot range they make no economic sense for the up front cost.  A used 40’ will cost $50k more than the same boat on gas around me. That’s a lifetime of gas. 
    Even with the turbo they’re gutless. I love the 7.3, and still own one now, but a reliable workhorse is their claim to fame. Not so much a powerhouse. lol 

• Options
    @rasbury , I saw you posted on the bilge pump thread that you ran the boat in the water and had no leaks? Very strange.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It is more than strange...now I was at the marina for probably 18 hours with the air going.....and it was pretty hot, not like summer hot but hot. I have read that the a/c will generate 1/2 gallon per hour of water....my bilge is not kicking on automatically ....could have it possibly generated that much water? I thought I had run the bilge before we cam out of the marina...and ran the boat half a day by myself on saturday with zip....wife came down and we did a short run up the river (2 hours) and there was some water but also again ran the a/c...I need to do a run without a/c and see if I get anything..pretty muc stumped! 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    So, I think this has come to an end. I took the boat to the middle of the lake with my 9 mil and suck it to the bottom and reported it stolen so let's keep this quiet. Just kidding but the thought crossed my mind.

So the boat was taking on water just sitting. I did all sorts of tests...I trailer so at home I filled the bilge- zip. Ran it on the muffs, zip.

Having recently pulled the motor and re sealed the transom I just could not believe that was the leak. I have a large drywall square I was able to see the transom was as flat as pee on a plate. When I sealed the new gasket I put way to much sealer and it squished out around the asy looking like a bad tub caulking which looks like crap, but no way it is leaking.

So, was down to either the transom asy has a crack in it or the y pipe seal was not good or a cracked y pipe. Could not see anything with an inspection camera. So, figured I would pull the exhaust  tubes off so I could fill the y pipe with water and see if it leaked and get a look at the rubber boots too..when I started to remove the starboard side, the clamps on the bottom of the lower boot were only hand tight- was not 100% that was the problem and did fill the y pipe with no leak. Put it all back together and launched it on Friday to a dry bilge. So once again the obvious has bit me in the a$$ again.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey it was something simple and somewhat easy to access!!!  

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    At least it's DRY now.  Now get your AZZ out on it, and enjoy!   B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Oh it did not stop me...anyway it's fixed
    ..in to my dang anchor...new thread!