Diesels are just better, change my mind

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
Diesels are known for their fuel efficiency.  European diesels rule the market on efficiency.  If you want a full size family sedan, 4 door that will net you 40 plus mph you have options.  

These guys weigh in at around 4000 lbs. Unlike the gutless diesels of the past, the 70s and 80s vw and mercedes diesels that couldnt get out of their own way, things have changed.  These new 4 door family sedans boast 0 to 60 times that were once only found in sports cars.  

The new Porsche Panamera splits opinion with its looks, but there’s no denying the car’s speed. The latest 4S Diesel is the quickest diesel you can currently buy, hitting 0-62mph in just 4.5 seconds and topping out at 177mph thanks to its 4.0-litre V8. Plus, it returns an impressive 42.1mpg on average 

The BMW 435d is just pipped to the post for quickest diesel, but it’s a rapid car nonetheless. It completes the 0-62mph dash in 4.7 seconds thanks to its 313hp 3.0-litre diesel that can also return fuel economy of 50.4mpg on average. It comes with xDrive all-wheel drive as standard, as well as an eight-speed automatic gearbox. You can also get it in convertible and four-door Gran Coupe guises too.

Audi also has a long history of making quick diesels, as illustrated by its A8 model. The 4.2-litre TDI engine launches the car from 0-62mph in just 4.7 seconds, with the powerful V8 producing 384hp and a great deal of torque while still averaging 39.2mpg. It’s a great option for those who want a big luxury car that packs a punch and has excellent range.

So what we have here are just a few production family sedans doing comparable  0 to 60 times with what the mustang and Camaro put out.  They do so with much more comfort.  Not much slower...a second behind a much lighter weight corvette.  

As for boats, military and commercial boating have used diesels for durability, range and power for decades.  Now for the super rich

XSR48: While some of this may sound a bit unfamiliar to those not used to watercraft, the import factor here is that diesel technology has afforded this awesome boat with a cruising speed of 50 knots (or 57.5 mph), a range of 300 nautical miles (345 miles) at cruising speed, and maximum speed of 85 knots or (97.8 mph).

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    In case @69fastback missed my previous post

He stated no diesel engine in existence has made over 10,000 horse power. Apparently those tankers and cargo ships dont need power to move

The 109,000-horsepower Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C.  This diesel engine is the most powerful internal combustion engine in the world.

So, i see your 10,000 hp and raise you 99,000 more. Check and mate sir.

In the late 1970s, Mercedes-Benz drove a C111-III with a five-cylinder diesel engine to several new records at the Nardò Ring, including driving at an average of 314 km/h (195 mph) for 12 hours and hitting a top speed of 325 km/h (201 mph).

With turbocharged diesel cars getting stronger in the 1990s, they were entered in touring car racing, and BMW won the 24 Hours Nürburgring in 1998 with a 320d.

After winning the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2006 with the diesel-powered R10 TDI LMPAudi won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, too. This was the first time a diesel-fueled vehicle had won at Le Mans against cars powered with regular fuel or other alternative fuel like methanol or bio-ethanol. French automaker Peugeot, which has a strong Diesel tradition (as such similar to and in competition with Mercedes-Benz on the automotive market), entered the diesel powered Peugeot 908 HDi FAP LMP in the 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans in response to the success of the Audi R10 TDI. But Audi won the race again and for the third consecutive time in 2008, until two 908 finally won the first places in 2009. In 2008 Audi used next generation 10% BTL biodiesel manufactured from biomass.[3] Despite the success of the 908 in 2009, all four Peugeot involved in the Le Mans 2010 race experienced some issues. And in 2011, the new Audi R18 wins over four other Peugeot 908 (respectively, 1st and second to fifth place).

In an effort to further demonstrate the potential of diesel power, California-based Gale Banks Engineering built and raced a Cummins-powered pickup at the Bonneville Salt Flats in October 2002. The truck set a top speed of 355 km/h (222 mph) and became the world’s fastest pickup, and the truck drove to the race towing its own support trailer.

On 23 August 2006, the British-based earth moving machine manufacturer JCB raced the specially designed JCB Dieselmax car at 563.4 km/h (350.1 mph). The driver was Andy Green and the car was powered by two modified JCB 444 diesel engines.

In 2007, SEAT - with the SEAT León Mk2 at the Oschersleben Motorsport Arena in Germany - became the first manufacturer to win a round of the WTCC series in a diesel car, only a month after announcing it would enter the FIA World Touring Car Championship with the Leon TDI. SEAT's success with the León TDI was continued and resulted in winning both 2009 FIA WTCC championship titles (for drivers as well as for manufacturers).

In 2007, Wes Anderson drove the Gale Banks Engineering built 1250 horsepower Chevrolet S-10 diesel-powered Pro-Stock pick-up to a National Hot Rod Diesel Association record of 7.72 seconds at 179-mph for the quarter-mile.

So diesel powers both the world's fastest truck as of 2002 as well as the most powerful engine on our planet.

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    In case @69fastback missed my previous post

He stated no diesel engine in existence has made over 10,000 horse power. Apparently those tankers and cargo ships dont need power to move

The 109,000-horsepower Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C.  This diesel engine is the most powerful internal combustion engine in the world.

So, i see your 10,000 hp and raise you 99,000 more. Check and mate sir.

In the late 1970s, Mercedes-Benz drove a C111-III with a five-cylinder diesel engine to several new records at the Nardò Ring, including driving at an average of 314 km/h (195 mph) for 12 hours and hitting a top speed of 325 km/h (201 mph).

With turbocharged diesel cars getting stronger in the 1990s, they were entered in touring car racing, and BMW won the 24 Hours Nürburgring in 1998 with a 320d.

After winning the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2006 with the diesel-powered R10 TDI LMPAudi won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, too. This was the first time a diesel-fueled vehicle had won at Le Mans against cars powered with regular fuel or other alternative fuel like methanol or bio-ethanol. French automaker Peugeot, which has a strong Diesel tradition (as such similar to and in competition with Mercedes-Benz on the automotive market), entered the diesel powered Peugeot 908 HDi FAP LMP in the 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans in response to the success of the Audi R10 TDI. But Audi won the race again and for the third consecutive time in 2008, until two 908 finally won the first places in 2009. In 2008 Audi used next generation 10% BTL biodiesel manufactured from biomass.[3] Despite the success of the 908 in 2009, all four Peugeot involved in the Le Mans 2010 race experienced some issues. And in 2011, the new Audi R18 wins over four other Peugeot 908 (respectively, 1st and second to fifth place).

In an effort to further demonstrate the potential of diesel power, California-based Gale Banks Engineering built and raced a Cummins-powered pickup at the Bonneville Salt Flats in October 2002. The truck set a top speed of 355 km/h (222 mph) and became the world’s fastest pickup, and the truck drove to the race towing its own support trailer.

On 23 August 2006, the British-based earth moving machine manufacturer JCB raced the specially designed JCB Dieselmax car at 563.4 km/h (350.1 mph). The driver was Andy Green and the car was powered by two modified JCB 444 diesel engines.

In 2007, SEAT - with the SEAT León Mk2 at the Oschersleben Motorsport Arena in Germany - became the first manufacturer to win a round of the WTCC series in a diesel car, only a month after announcing it would enter the FIA World Touring Car Championship with the Leon TDI. SEAT's success with the León TDI was continued and resulted in winning both 2009 FIA WTCC championship titles (for drivers as well as for manufacturers).

In 2007, Wes Anderson drove the Gale Banks Engineering built 1250 horsepower Chevrolet S-10 diesel-powered Pro-Stock pick-up to a National Hot Rod Diesel Association record of 7.72 seconds at 179-mph for the quarter-mile.

So diesel powers both the world's fastest truck as of 2002 as well as the most powerful engine on our planet.

Yeah you’re giant diesel is awesome. How many times have I dated solely from a performance standpoint?  Speed, and acceleration?  Nearly every post I’ve made?  Yeah...... so how well does that engine do in a performance application?  It’s neat you try and take it out of context, but I’ve kept it very clear in every post. 

I get it. You’ve only been here a few months and have a ton of posts. Lots of posts doesn’t equal lots of knowledge. 

Funny the comment you made about me, but you start a whole new thread with outdated stats, that still can’t beat any of the worlds best gas engines...... 

I've already posted the worlds fastest diesel in a land vehicle, and boat of current times, and they’re not even in the same category.... but you didn’t want to talk about that. 
    edited January 2020
    Lol....some little ford powered street truck of modern times is faster than the world record truck of the past. And I’m the one stuck in the past????

https://youtu.be/6-HaAlcZDw8

maybe we should consider the gas engines going over 400 also???
    edited January 2020
    And diesels are definitely better for some things, like the ships you talk about, 18 wheelers, and various other applications. Diesels are not the best option for a performance application. 
    Wolds fastest lorry 

Volvo the truck will sprint from zero to 62mph in a mere 4.6 seconds — as quick as a Porsche 911 Carrera. That’s astounding for a 4.5-tonne vehicle, and it’s thanks to the impressive degree of customisation that Volvo baked in. The mid-mounted engine is a heavily modified 13-litre six-cylinder diesel with four turbochargers and an intercooler, achieving a fairly monumental 2,400 horsepower and 4,425 pound-feet of torque. The concept-truck cab is as aerodynamic as one can make a brick
    0-62 in 4.6 seconds!!!!! This is really getting sad. I said performance. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why we care about this “my member is bigger than yours” argument.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

It weighs 4.5 tons. Im really not sure how you can determine that isn't perfomance. 

That's like a Camaro towing 2 other camaros and still running a sub 5 second 0 to 60
    icoultha said:
    Can we keep this on topic 😜😜😜😜😜  
    It weighs 4.5 tons. Im really not sure how you can determine that isn't perfomance. 

That's like a Camaro towing 2 other camaros and still running a sub 5 second 0 to 60
    Why hasn’t anyone taken that engine and put it in something to go fast?  

its because........Diesel engines aren’t the best for performance. 

I’ll give that truck the respect it’s due though. It’s the intended use for a diesel, which is in a 4.5 ton truck designed to do work. Not race. 
    What about Sullivan's 5000 lbs cummins powerd full size dodge

mid-5s (5.52 best) in the eighth-mile, and trapping 142 mph—a speed that still hasn’t been beat by a two-wheel or four-wheel-drive Pro Street truck
    Well I have to go get back in the sim now, for my continued beatings for training at work. Oddly enough, today is high, hot, and heavy PERFORMANCE day ;)

keep those google fingers working, but the fact is, none of the fastest vehicles on the planet drink diesel ;)
    Here's one a little faster.  

Lavon Miller, owner of Firepunk Diesel. Lavon recently ran a new personal best 1/4-mile time of a 7.993 at 174.8 mph in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Keep in mind, this truck weighed 4,930 pounds at the time.

Pro Street class offers a 4,500-pound minimum weight and Firepunk, doing what they do best, innovated new ways, new parts, and new ideas to get this thing to the top once again. Crossville was in for a treat when Lavon laid down a 5.11 at 144 mph to the 1/8-mile. That pass would better the new record set the day before by Dustin Jackson with a 5.15 at 135 mph.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 new BFFs. LOL
    edited January 2020
    Here's one a little faster.  

Lavon Miller, owner of Firepunk Diesel. Lavon recently ran a new personal best 1/4-mile time of a 7.993 at 174.8 mph in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Keep in mind, this truck weighed 4,930 pounds at the time.

Pro Street class offers a 4,500-pound minimum weight and Firepunk, doing what they do best, innovated new ways, new parts, and new ideas to get this thing to the top once again. Crossville was in for a treat when Lavon laid down a 5.11 at 144 mph to the 1/8-mile. That pass would better the new record set the day before by Dustin Jackson with a 5.15 at 135 mph.

Lol Tony’s truck is faster than that. 

You realize non diesels are going over 2 seconds faster, right? LOL MY car is a seconds faster with a small block. Every post you keep showing fast diesels that are slower than gas engine cars. I don’t understand how that disproves what I keep saying?

I’ve said it numerous times, there are diesels that perform well. Never denied that, and have actually said it numerous times. Right along with, diesels aren’t the best option for performance. A hang glider can fly. Is it the best option for air travel????
    edited January 2020
    I dont think your buddies truck nor car weigh near enough to qualify for the 4500 lbs minimum pro street truck class.  

Im not into drag racing but I know there are handicaps between classes, so if you jumped up in your personal vehicle to race a much heavier class and given your official nhra handicap, you run your best time and they run their best time...who wins?

edited January 2020
    Not the diesel. Do you know why those classes weigh that much?

you know what I keep saying.  Diesels aren’t the best option for performance. There are many factors involved in performance. Weight is definitely a factor and that’s one of the reasons diesels are at a handicap. It’s not my fault that diesels have to carry around extra weight, making them not as good as an option for performance. 

That lightning I posted early. Do you know how much faster a low 7 in the 1/4 is than a 5.11 in the 1/8??
    Would you say a durmax powered drag car running 6.99 in the 1/4 mile lacks perfomance?
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG...boating forum guys!
    edited January 2020
    Would you say a durmax powered drag car running 6.99 in the 1/4 mile lacks perfomance?
    No, I’d say it has great performance. But not as good as a gas motor. Hence, the best option. It’s like you think I said diesels can’t perform, which isn’t true. 
    I leave with this and I have to head to sim. 

If diesels are the best option for performance, why don’t you see them in more performance applications?  Why are such a very very very small percentage of vehicles in a performance series diesels?  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 new BFFs. LOL
    @Handymans342 , I actually laughed out loud with this comment!
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    OMG...boating forum guys!
    Agree! If you want to start a thread here on diesel vs gas for boats fine but this discussion/argument belongs on an automotive forum.... 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Ok...ill direct this to boats...the yanmar, the same yanmar found in volvo penta, bmw and land cruiser is superior to a vortec 350...change my mind.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok...ill direct this to boats...the yanmar, the same yanmar found in volvo penta, bmw and land cruiser is superior to a vortec 350...change my mind.
    Which model Yanmar?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    uh oh, you perked up Handy's ears!  LOL!  I think the topic is fine, as long as you all keep it clean and not call each names or belittle each other.  I've actually learned a few things by reading both you guys posts...

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Exactly. How about sticking to the theme of the forum - Engine Discussions to do with Boating and Rinker boats. Its not a car and truck forum.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Which model Yanmar?
    6BY i believe id the code.  They all use the same base block with diffent tunes. There is one guy whos installing one in an fj40
    icoultha said:
    icoultha said:
    Exactly. How about sticking to the theme of the forum - Engine Discussions to do with Boating and Rinker boats. Its not a car and truck forum.
    I was 100% joking. This thread was only posted to poke fun at a coal burning hater.  Feel free to talk about puppies and beer if you'd like in this thread 😄
    edited January 2020
    Hater huh?  The made up stuff continues, rather than the reading of what’s said. It’s just more cop out and deflecting from the truth. I guess I better go sell my F250 now....lol

Its all in good fun though. I mentioned boats in many of my posts for the reason that this is a boat forum. It’s kept entertained in my down times in my long training. Maybe 2 months in Florida is too long for me, but I’ll supply the beer anytime anybody wants to drink one. I love Motorsports of all kinds. Grew up racing dirt bikes and started racing cars at 18. I’ve competed in many types of automotive things from IASCA, to cars and dirt bikes, to slalom skiing, and I build all my own stuff. A little 15:1 460” SBF turning 9300 RPMs sure is fun though ;) A little harmless trash talk hasn’t hurt me yet.