Is there another type of boater that grinds your gears?

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
I think for me it's kayakers. Cluelessly paddling in front of you. Not watching their children who are also in kayaks. 

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The lake im in has more shore line than any other lake in the state so kayakers are not an issue, on my part of the lake anyway.  Im near 3 campgrounds and twice as many public landings but it's all rural area.  Kayakers usually stay in coves or close to shore when i do see them.  Im sure in narrower lakes and rivers they could be a pain.

For me it's a tie between wake board boats and jet skis.

Just this last summer we had 2 jet skis, both moms with sub 12 yr old kids on the back think it's fun to splash us in a deep cove while we are cooking on the swim platfrom.  They would go between our boat and shore, sub 20 ft when they had hundreds of feet on the other side.  If kids were not with them id have tossed a liquid food item overboard as they passed.  They were passing at near full speed close enough for me to reach out and touch them.  They could tell we were anchored.  They put my kid and family at risk as well as their kid.  Pure stupidity and no dnr officer for miles.  People like that should be banned from the water.  There are trees just under the water all in that area, that close to the shore they could have hit one and killed someone.

The other are wake board boats, they will come in close to any beaches with boats to show off and it beats the crap out of the beached boats, causes anchors to drag and rips out the beach anchor.  

I don't care about your new vinyl graphics or want to hear your loud annoying music. I also don't want to see whoever you're pulling behind your boat.  The law is idle no wake 50 ft from an anchored or beached boat i believe, sadly it doesnt seem to be enforced.  

Our shore line can go from a foot to 40 foot deep in less than 20 feet.  The people with docks also complain about this, they will go back in coves and bash up peoples docked boats.  The dnr/army core will not allow the property owners to put in slow no wake buoys.  These are sub 100 ft across cove many times,  narrow but deep.    

Our lake is all river valley as are most upstate lakes so lots of deep narrow coves with lots of steep shore line. We're not far from the Appalachian mtns and hartwell is 3rd down from joccassee which is in the Appalachian.  

I should also add Clumpsum fans.  Their fake death valley is behind a **** which was built when they made the lake to keep from flooding the stadium.  On home game weekends the orange is everywhere, i boat in an area between the largest marinas on the lake and the stadium.    Maybe as a Carolina fan i just hate the orange.

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone blasting a radio so loud that other boaters can hear it.. I can deal with everything else. 
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @PickleRick Yeah, jackholes on jet skis is a close second followed by boaters that ignore wake restrictions.
    @shawnmjr

You are on a border state. The Canadian version of dukes of hazzard.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have it to bad I guess....there is only a one place I can think of where boats pull up to shore to hang out...I don't and the river is narrow. Boats fly through there but I guess they deal with it. Other than labor day or monmorial day and the first couple of days of spring, not to many boaters in my area. We have a lot of manatee no wake zones so that really thins out the boaters- people that just cruise or fish. Further north a different story.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    people fishing in the channel 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Any vessel, that doesn't respect personal space, and WAKE laws.  Most common offenders, are the Wakeboard/Wakesurf boats, and Jet ski/Waverunners.   But any vessel is equally to blame if they trash the shore with their wakes. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    I agree, they are a PITA. I slow down because I am a responsible captain and own the results of my wake but in my opinion if you're not traversing it, get out of the channel or take what comes.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    Any vessel, that doesn't respect personal space, and WAKE laws.  Most common offenders, are the Wakeboard/Wakesurf boats, and Jet ski/Waverunners.   But any vessel is equally to blame if they trash the shore with their wakes. 
    We have this one bay where you can be the first one there, and the next boat that shows up anchors so close you could pass them a beer without stretching.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    GMSLITHO said:
    I agree, they are a PITA. I slow down because I am a responsible captain and own the results of my wake but in my opinion if you're not traversing it, get out of the channel or take what comes.
    We have this issue here as well. Every weekend morning there is always at least 1 boat drifting in the middle of the channel fishing. They are in a bass boat with boats 40' or larger exiting the channel. Most of the time its 2 40's passing each other between the two break walls with the bass boat in the middle. You would think common sense would tell them to get the **** out of the way.  I just dont get it. They do have the right to fish there but it doesn't mean its the thing to do.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Mine are lobster boats who put their traps in the channel and (I am going to hear about this...lol) Sail boaters who think they own the ocean.......... Nuff said on that....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited January 2020
    Sailboats under sail have the right away over motor powered vessels underway, a drifting fishing boat is still technically under way. 

This is due to the wind being both your steering and propulsion in a sailboat and you're limited by depth, things sailors are keeping a constant eye on where as many motor boats are only looking at the fuel gauge. 

In order to go upwind in a sailboat it requires you to tack, a zig zag motion, against the wind.  If a motor boat fails to yield the right away it can be an inconvenience, if you're tacking against the wind and current failure to yield to the sailboat could result in putting the sailboat into a potentially dangerous situation.  This is especially true if it's in a narrow channel 

Sadly sailboat captains are sometimes salty pricks who abuse this privilege.  If you're not racing(in a marked area) and have plenty of space to steer/navigate you're just a **** for thinking everyone needs to yield to you.

So if the channel is narrow, let the sailboat have his lane.  If he has miles of deep open water and you're not interrupting a race let him go around.   Also yield to them if there is a noticeable current.

Dont assume the sailboat has a functioning engine, many don't.  Also to go from sail to motor can be a chore, even more so with an inept crew or solo.  My 26 footer requires me to walk to the front of the boat to bring down the jib.  I can release it from the cockpit but wind can and will push it into the water.  My mainsail does require me to stand on my cabin top to lower.  So its more than just turning a key on most sailboats to switch to motor.  No one is steering when i leave my helm.  

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    It is a violation of Us Coast Guard rules to have your sails up in a channel but we see that every now and then. BTW . I have seen people pulling in to the dock with their sale up.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much the same as everyone else. Absolutely hate wake boats. PWC's are ok as long as not jumping my wake, which most I come across do. Our marina harbour entrance sits near a popular fishing area so especially on a weekend there will be up to 100 boats clustered around and way up the lake. If I slowed to no wake it would easily add a half an hour to each trip so I usually come in on full plane and weave my way through and then chop the throttle when approaching the shallows. Maybe that makes me an a$$ too, but after doing it a few times I've seen that the regulars now leave the channel a little more open. Kayaks are ok, but what I don't like is seeing them way out in the big water where they are hard to see, and most I find are a dark colour and the operators are wearing dark or blue coloured PFD's. The smart one's have brighter colours and some even have flags on whips. I salute those guys on the way by.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Here goes my 2cents:

Any ill prepared boater grinds my gears - whether at the dock or ramp. That said, I've noticed that I'm mellowing out as I get older. Now, I seek out these people just to watch what happens......lol.....that's some funny ****!

I'm gonna say the PWC operators are by far the worst offenders. Although, I'm pretty sure we have hit "Peak PWC" economically. Now it's common to see the most unfit/huge people operating Sea-Doo's (in bathing suits) Pretty comical really. Like a fat guy on a crotch rocket bike.

Saw a huge couple each on a Sea-Doo attempting to fuel up at the dock last summer - it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Dock hands literally had their hands full.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Mine are lobster boats who put their traps in the channel and (I am going to hear about this...lol) Sail boaters who think they own the ocean.......... Nuff said on that....lol
    We have the same issue with fishing boat who like to sit in the "fishing channel".  Lately the water has been high enough to allow my to go a little outside some channels, but when it's low there is no other route.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

edited January 2020
    earl1z19 said:
    It is a violation of Us Coast Guard rules to have your sails up in a channel but we see that every now and then. BTW . I have seen people pulling in to the dock with their sale up.
    By channel i dont mean just man made navigation channel but any narrowing of water floor that limits sailboat navigation.  It's not uncommon to see keels 3 to 4 ft deep on a 25 ft sailboat.   Seeing 6 ft deep water sends one into a little bit of a panic when you know you draft 4.

If my sailboat had better balance and a roller furling i wouldn't think twice about sailing into my mooring.  Sadly without my main sail my boat has little to no ability to maintain a desired heading.  I lower sails outside the cove and motor in.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pet peeve is oblivious glassy-eyed Uber drivers in the passing lane going 10 mph under the speed limit.  Also ignorant crayon-eating phone users who think it's okay to sit there texting after the stoplight turns green.  It is not okay.  

Oh, wait.  Boating. 

It's sailboaters who have to show off their "skill" by tacking under sail through a crowd of 1000 anchored boats waiting to watch fireworks.  For crap sake, stow the sheets and turn on your motor before some powerboater gives the order to load torpedoes and develop a firing solution.  
    You guys really hate sailboaters lol.  There are only 4 sailboats on my area of the lake including mine which didnt launch last season.  One is demasted and hasn't moved in years.  One is at a dock and ive never seen it move.  The other is a retired commercial captain who only sails when we have wind.  

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @PickleRick Yes I do..... In my area the are thousands and its not the boat I hate its the boater. Just because they have the "right of way" (and yes I know the rules and laws) that they can do whatever they want without any regard for anyone else. This is supposed to be like a fraternity where everyone watches out for everyone............ Nooooooo the blow boaters think they are special............. I will stop............ rant over!!!!!!!!! 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited January 2020
    There is a reason i don't join the sailing club or hang out at the yacht club.

When entering or exiting or even approaching an inlet a sailboat does need its right away but in open water where you have miles to navigate its just a douch move to expect the right away.  

I dont mind a sailboat coming within 50 or so feed from me anchored, happens a bit in the keys, they don't have wake.  The 35 ft sport cruiser passing 100 yards away beats me to death.  If i have swimmers in the water i expect at least double that from any vessel underway.

Post edited by raybo3 on
    I hate the boaters that come to close to my boat and it's full of hot chicks with thongs...how thoughtless!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    "a drifting fishing boat is still technically under way. " I get that but you also need to abide by the rules, if you are on my port side drifting towards me then I have right of way.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Boaters who speed beyond the limit in the harbor. Also not sounding a horn blast entering a main channel from a fairway and not using caution. Oh, and first time boaters with a brand new Boston Whaler center console with four 350hp outboards.
    Andy
    rasbury said:
    I hate the boaters that come to close to my boat and it's full of hot chicks with thongs...how thoughtless!
    Even if they share?
    You guys really hate sailboaters lol.  There are only 4 sailboats on my area of the lake including mine which didnt launch last season.  One is demasted and hasn't moved in years.  One is at a dock and ive never seen it move.  The other is a retired commercial captain who only sails when we have wind.  

I don't hate sailboaters...yet. But sailing looks like a lot of work. I am too lazy to be a sailboater.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to @RiverRat232 for setting up a thread for us to vent during the Season That Shall Not Be Named.

I'm not a sailboat hater!  Between sailboaters and powerboaters, both groups have their fair share of jackasses.  The only group reliably composed of jackasses is wakeboarders.  (From my narrow-minded perspective as an anchor-and-hang-out cruiser!)
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I used to water ski whenever possible. Even though where I boated water skiers had a right of way (where practical) I never exercised that right for two reasons: 1. I didn't want to be an a$$h... and 2. I didn't want to be a bug splat on the bow of some big Rinker.

Also, stayed well away from shore (wakes) and out of crowded areas (respect and self-preservation). That said, the "new" generation of skiers on wake boards are, IMO, 90% a$Sh.....

My jet ski (Waverunner SVHO) will outrun just about anything on the water and will definitely out-accelerate anything on the water- that said I do NOT jump wakes, splash anyone, go close to shore, race through crowded boating areas etc. Doing that would be like hanging a neon sign above my head flashing a$$h......(the Admiral tried to chime-in on the last comment - I deleted her attempt to post). :-(
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the fisherman that not think that the boating rules apply to them. They are fisherman that happen to be on a boat, not a boater that fishes. We have a "No Wake Zone" at the "Point" in Pittsburgh. The fisherman think that because they are fishing, they do not need to obey the "No Wake Zone". It's rather annoying when you are trying to watch a ballgame or grill out and they wake the crap out of you so they can get to their favorite spot.

I am also not a fan of the wake boats that think that they need to surf in front of the marinas to show off for those eating dinner at one of the few riverfront restaurants that we have. They used to do it on Sundays in October in front of the stadium during the Steeler games to try to get on national TV, while rocking the crap out of 3/4's of a million dollars worth of boats tied to the wall outside Heinz Field. The No Wake Zone is only enforced on weekends from May 1 to October 1. Hopefully this is solved this since they recently changed the dates from May 1 to November 1.

Then there is the occasional a$$hat that thinks it's cool to wake the boats that are anchored behind Davis Island on the Ohio River, which is maybe 100 feet wide if you are lucky. They then look at you funny when you yell at them to slow down. SMH.

Rant over...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!