Here it is Hard Top vs Non Hard Top

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited February 2020
    On this one I would like it more if the front part of the top was just a little smaller. Now I will pi$$ of more people, I do not like Regal and I most definitely don't like those windows on the side. I can just picture someone at my club losing control with the strong current and an anchor going right through the glass.............. Just say'n 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know anything about Regal boats only seen one. We do not have them around here. Agree with Ray, on the fugly window's. Sorry Mark.
    Boat Name : 

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray that is beautiful looking boat
    I think maybe your just a grumpy old man I'm going to drive to Boston and put a dead fish in your back seat.   Just say'n
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    @reneechris14 who you calling old? Those are fighting words.......LOL I will tell you real quick why I dont like Regal (I almost bought one years age) everyone I ever saw list real bad to one side or the other. Many Regal boats at my club and everyone lists. One sank because of the VP bellows. I agree the boat in the picture is nice looking but dont like the side windows........ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    .....agree with Ray on the side windows (love the Rinker side windows on the 360/370). Do like the HT on the Regal but not as much as the Rinker HT. Also Rinker HTs have the quick zipper option.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    @reneechris14 who you calling old? Those are fighting words.......LOL I will tell you real quick why I dont like Regal (I almost bought one years age) everyone I ever saw list real bad to one side or the other. Many Regal boats at my club and everyone lists. One sank because of the VP bellows. I agree the boat in the picture is nice looking but dont like the side windows........ 

So, Rinkers list too ... my 260 EC always listed port ... because the water tank was there with the batteries and fridge ... and the EMPTY waste tank on the other side. 

And the bellows sinking a boat, you can't blame that on Regal ... that can happen on any boat.

I like that Regal ... even the windows ... looks sharp ... no issue if you don't like em.  I like Oysters, my wife pukes in her mouth when she see's me eating them ... doesn't stop me from eating them though ... lol. And I'll still kiss her after I've had a few too ... haha.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I like  those windows as well.  I can't see myself owning a Regal, but it's good to have differences in brands.  It'd be boring if all boats looked the same. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I would way rather replace a lexan "window" than do gelcoat repairs, especially on a non-white hull...  :#
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • JasonAJasonA Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    I love our 290 but here in FL during the summer it pours pretty much afternoon and that kills a day out since its terrible to drive with the eisenglass up. Looking to move to a NC1095 Fly in the future to get the best of both worlds.
    @MarkB a buddy of mine bought a brand new 38' Regal bridge boat and has to line the port side with lead ingots and the same thing on an older Regal I looked at years ago. Nice looking boats but not a fan. I had a Carver and a Chaparral also and liked both of those so I do like more than just my Rinker....lol
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I do like both the Carvers and Regals.  I do also agree with Raybo as far as the complete glass enclosure.  I don't like it, I like the fresh air.  But, I like an open hard top.  For us, we go the boat no matter the weather.  Rain, shine, hot or cold.  (actually, we may be enjoying her in a week or two - if I can get the dang vacuflush fixed!, sorry, off-topic).  

I like the windows on the side of the Regal, but I'm a bit practical and not sure I'd want to deal with them.  I believe my next boat will be something totally different than any of these, but we'll see....maybe I should start a topic of "what's your next boat?"

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

raybo3 said:
    @MarkB a buddy of mine bought a brand new 38' Regal bridge boat and has to line the port side with lead ingots and the same thing on an older Regal I looked at years ago. Nice looking boats but not a fan. I had a Carver and a Chaparral also and liked both of those so I do like more than just my Rinker....lol

OK a 38 should not list ... that is not right ... should be enough boat and space to get the balance right.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Agree @MarkB ..... I have even seen the Rinker EC 350/360 model list then looked in a friend's boat to see all batteries on one side, gear stored to one side a waste tank full and water tank empty. Sooooo guess what, a little re-balancing and voila no list
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/d/easley-cabin-cruiser/7091370473.html

If i knew the admiral wouldnt flip id bring this hard top home.  Twin inboards.  It's just asking for a couple twin inboard diesels.  

I love these salty old boats.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fish finder location seems suboptimal. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Its larger than my new garmin plotter/sonar combo(4.3 inch) but you're right its probably outdated and doesn't have charts/gps.  

Screw the hard tops. This is what I am talking about. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a great pic Ray! Never ran my boat like that but looking at I wish I had tried it on a nice day, admiral would have loved the extra sun! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

@Liberty44140 Thanks Lib. I really love going real slow at the Boston water front with all the tourist there waving and yelling back and forth. Great stuff. If the weather gets a little chilly or windy or whatever I just leave the canvas up. I call it the best of both worlds............. Just say'n
    We like to sleep on the hook.  Im always nervous with canvas when we  have 60 to 70 mph winds complained with hail come through at night.  
    @PickleRick 60 to 70 MPH winds and your boating????? Your a better man than me.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea if winds more than 20 or so are predicted I’m not on the hook over night intentionally.... yikes! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

edited March 2020
    You can never predict where the thunder storms are going to hit, but during the spring months you can count on evening thunder showers every few days.  Its not as often as the coast but these thunder heads roll up quickly and pack a big punch.  

We usually have drought conditions from late June until about November but when we do get rain is in thunder shower form more times than not.

This is why we drop anchor in protected coves at night.  Last year we only went through  2 thunder storms.  Neither got wind gusts more than 20 to 30 mph but people in the camp grounds lost awnings and the dumpstets were littered with broken ez ups/tents the next day.   Straight line winds can easily double in speed. 

Some summers we ride out up to half a dozen storms.  The sailboat rides out storms better but it also weighs approx 7000 lbs.

For this reason i stow the bimini when i hear any thunder rumble.  My dad has lost 2 tops on his pontoon in the past 4 years.

Riding out storms is just part of the experience.   We don't boat in the storms, we drop anchor and wait them out.  Boats out at sea dont really have that luxury.  

Our conditions are not bad, 2 lakes up in joccassee its not uncommon to see 100 mph gusts.  When you hear thunder on that mountain lake its already too late.  With only 1 or two ramps on the entire lake you're not getting out.   Because of its proximity in the mountains you cant see the storm until its above you.

The storms are scattered and every night has a chance at one.  The price you pay for living in a humid 90 degree summer climate.  The storm that we slept through and damaged all the campsites early last summer didnt affect the campground my co worker was staying in 20 min away via boat on the same lake.  He did see all the lightning and got a little wind.

raybo3 said:
    @PickleRick 60 to 70 MPH winds and your boating????? Your a better man than me.
    If you do a lot of boating, you will absolutely get stuck in winds like that.  In that type of condition, you need to stay up top and have engine running ready in case anchor let's loose.  Definitely feels better under a hardtop...just sayin :)

One can say, oh I'd leave before a storm gets there or keep an eye out, well, then you don't adventure and use that great cruise style boat as intended, 10 days or 17 days at a time.  

Great pic Raybo! Looks like fun!  For us, if we did that, we'd be sunburned and not know it.  We still have that same breeze, just not the sun.  Still the open feel too.

edited March 2020
    If you know how to properly set an anchor and give proper scope then you can sleep tight during a storm.  

I only have an 18lbs on the rinker.  I thought it was a little lighter than what i need but its yet to drag more than 5 to 10 ft when i scope properly.

We have mud, stupid deep mud so the danforth sets better than rock, coral or even sand.  

The coves i anchor in are usually 30ft deep or less,  i don't need 200 ft of rode to get a good scope.

If i ever take it to the coast ill be traveling woth a 22 pounder and the 30 some odd plow anchor i got at a yardsale.
    I agree Rick.  It is amazing what an anchor can hold if set correctly.  Of course with a decent bottom helps.  I usually have to drive over my anchor with a little momentum to get her out at the end of s weekend.

raybo3 said:
    Screw the hard tops. This is what I am talking about. 

yeah, that works! LOL.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oy vey.  I don't think even @PickleRick or @javhav could bring that one back to life.
    Well i could rehab it.  If i give up my family and have cash in on some trust fund i dont know about, i could swing it