Options

Taking her out for sea trial with surveyor on Thursday. Any advice? 2008 400EC

TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, good luck! Can you give us some more details? Looks like the blue hull needs a good polish and wax.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Axuis SeaCore 496 MAG H/O 501 hours. You are correct needs a good wax and polish. Hull and drives were already inspected while it was out of the water. Passed with flying colors. Interior in very good shape. Rear cushions on swim platform need to be redone and owner is paying for new canvas and glass. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Boat is in Sarasota FL but will be brought up to PA or Jersey shore.

• Options
    Has any moisture readings been taken on the hull while it’s been out of the water?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beat the heck out of her now while it's someone else's boat 😁. But seriously make sure you get her out at max power and really run it to make sure there are no issues with the engine and drive. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Beat the heck out of her now while it's someone else's boat 😁. But seriously make sure you get her out at max power and really run it to make sure there are no issues with the engine and drive. 
    Agreed!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    My broker is bringing a Merc mechanic along to do compression test and take oil samples.

• Options
    Yes sounding and moisture readings were done on hull, transom and strings. Came back clean all around. 

• Options
    Anything on this model I should really lookout for? Some bad area that would be overlooked?
  • Options
    As any survey, something can easily be overlooked. I would stick with the surveyor throughout the inspection and ask as many questions as possible. Keep your phone by your side to take videos and pictures. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Will do. Thanks

• Options
    Make sure they check the engine hours from the engine computer. Run the generator and run the AC and heat for some time while your out. The equipment on board may work just fine for a few minutes but may have issues after running for awhile. Run the windlass, I could see that getting overlooked since you wouldn't really anchor on a sea trial. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    How long should gen run to get up to temp?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I'm not aware of anything model-specific, but here's a stress test you should consider:

After you're warmed up and underway on open waters, take the helm.  Then, AFTER you have the wheel, tell the owner/broker you're going wide-open-throttle for one full minute.  Not ten seconds ... 60 seconds.  Assuming fair weather, their reaction should be joy-joy and woo-hoo.  If not, it's a warning sign. 

Assuming they don't freak out, set a timer and nail the throttles.  Watch the engine temperatures, or assign a mate to watch them.  A 400EC in good mechanical health should have no issues running WOT for much longer than a minute.  

Obviously, don't try this in rough water, congested seaways etc.  
  • Options
    Surveyor did say after running wot and making sure it hits the proper rpms he will take temp readings at the manifolds and risers?? To make sure they are working properly. Make sense?
  • Options
    Yes, you should be able to put your hand on the risers for a few seconds. It shouldn’t burn you but gradually get warm without burning yourself.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    make sure theirs enough gas for 2 = 1 minute @ wot =  B)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget to post pics or you get banned from the forum...good luck!
  • Options
    Will do and thanks.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I have the same boat. Nothing specific to model to check.  I agree with comments here.  Make sure the surveyor does everything you desire.  They are allowed to dig in to find any problems.  Make sure to follow them around while inspecting, they are more likely to tell you more that may not get written down.  Open every single space to visibly look in.  Take a good flashlight.  The AC under front berth is prone to rusting out from the bottom pan up.  Check for any large cracks around the structural bar on port side that meets the hardtop.  It will have some stress cracks, but shouldn't be much more than cosmetic.  

You should get a top end speed easily over 40mph.  If clean bottom, 45mph is a perfect top end speed around 4800rpm.  Does it have fuel flow instruments?  If so, cruise speed at 3600-3800 should get you 30-32mph and burn around 40gph.   Any signs of wet carpet or wet around front berth side walls could be porthole windows leaking.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thank you for the feedback. It has vessel view will that have fuel burn? The bottom was rough sanded waiting bottom paint (for next owner). Inside was clean on initial walk through no smell. One of my concerns is how bad it is oxidized but broker is confident that will come back. Drives were sanded and painted Friday.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice boat! Drives look good although they painted the trim senders which they should not have done but it’s fine, lots of folks have them painted, as long as they work... I hope your surveyor looked at the drives before they were painted otherwise I’d wonder if they are hiding something. The hull will come back but that is pretty bad and will most likely require wet sanding. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the wire for that runs up between the drives and through the transom (second pic)?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    That looks like a light
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look like the speedo tube running down the side off the drive. That hull will come back with some elbow grease, when you have dark hull this becomes a yearly event so be prepared.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Yes, wire is for underwater light.  I have the same.  Works ok.  I would also be curious if painting drives was hiding something. Probably just done because they typically look pretty bad after a season.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those props almost look a bronze color with a hint of stainless showing through. Did somebody coat them or paint them or something? Just stained?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    You can see the drives before they were painted in the first picture. They look really bad but it may have been taken after they scrubbed off all the coating. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    The pic of the drivers are after they were sanded and ready for paint. Surveyor said no pitting or corrosion and has new boots on them and the trim senders were just replaced.

• Options