Options

Rinker Brand Closing

Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did anyone else get the email saying that the Rinker boat brand is going away? I'm not sure if I read it wrong but it seems like it's shutting down for good. 
1997 Bayliner 3988

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
  • Options
    "Today Polaris Inc. announced it has made the strategic decision to focus its marine investments and growth efforts on its flagship boating brands. As a result, Polaris will stop producing Rinker, Striper and Larson FX boat brands at its Syracuse, Indiana plant in June."
  • Options
    The email says they are winding down the Polaris Syracuse facility and winding down the Rinker brand 😕. I wonder who is next, wasn't SeaRay about to shutdown last year but then decided not to or something? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, it seemed like Rinker was making its way up the ranks.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be annoyed if I owned a newer Rinker. Can’t be good for resale value!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got the email. That blows...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Maybe another company will pick up Rinker and the others.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah, this is bad for all Rinker owners.  Polaris says they will offer customer support, but will it be the same? 

And ... dare I say it ... what becomes of the forum?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    LaRea said:
    Yeah, this is bad for all Rinker owners.  Polaris says they will offer customer support, but will it be the same? 

Oh man, sad news all around for sure!  I felt like Rinker was really getting it all back together.  It sure is going to leave a void in the boating market.

I sure hope there is a way to keep this forum going & keep all the great content we have hear too!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Is there a way to save all the forum info somewhere? I’m not that computer savvy, then start a new owners forum it this one goes down. Maybe keep it going with donations?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Not sure how this website is being hosted but I would imagine that the webmaster could transfer it to someone else. Should be an easy process. If Polaris is going to still offer support then maybe they will keep this forum as well. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Got this email an hour ago too and just saw it.  Sad day!
  • Options
    I can't believe Rinker survived the 07-08 recession, only to die from a virus.  
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    @rinker forum = lets pool are monies = buy rinker
    put al n handy n charge
    Post edited by trip_n on
  • Options
    trip_n said:
    @rinker forum = lets pool are monies = by rinker
    put al n handy n charge
    LoL! I’m in...
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

People will need this forum now more than ever ... it may be the only good support left.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    I wonder if current inventory will be at a huge discounted rate? 
    Hawk’s Yachts discounted their inventory. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    This is a sad day for all Rinker owners.  The company has a long history of producing great boats in the USA and now it is all ending.  Hopefully some investors will buy it to keep it going but in these times when you can't even use a boat it is unlikely. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have had this discussion before- our cruisers are old hat...people don't find the allure to boating like we do...to many other things to do, life is to busy. 100 grand now riders or pontoon boats are in or mega yachts - not much in-between ...center console fishing boats with six motors ...I hope keep the forum going we until we all die out! Very sad...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I will call Rinker tomorrow and find out what is going on 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, things are changing fast.
    This economic mess is only the start. Margins are squeezed, triggers are being pulled all over the place. 
    Wonder if this announcement ~ might be a shot fired by Polaris in an attempt to get govt bailout funding to keep the companies viable & workers employed?

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    I just think the market for this type of boat is shrinking. Not the type of boats I see on the water or at the ramps...
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    My marina sells Bennington pontoon boats .The marina is about 60 to 70% pontoons
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 Revere MAModerator Posts: 4,440 mod
    Dream Walter McCallum (spelling) was the owner of the old site. He went by the name of Talon. It was his site. I tried to reach out to him before and trust me its a long story. I would highly doubt Rinker would change anything with this site. IMO as long as Rinker is making boats we are safe. 

@raybo3 Hope you were wrong on that last sentence!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @Pat310 I remember that battle with the old site like it was yesterday. I still have every e-mail and information that went back and forth. I have a call into Rinker. I am hoping that we can get a group to take it over. I am looking into administration and costs related to the site. Not to get too far ahead here but we may need to charge a fee to members. I will keep everyone posted and updated.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOATS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE ... that's the issue ... PERIOD. I bought my 260 EC for like $85k Canadian, brand new ... I think that was like $5 US at the time ... lol.  Joking, it was probably around $80k USD at the time ... now you can't get anything brand new for over $100k USD ... and us Canadians are getting hammered on the exchange rate!  I also hear we have an aging used boat fleet ... and that's not going to cut it for Mr. Millennial. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Not just the boat itself, parts also.....
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yes, the kind of echos the conversation we had before on this in another thread...no way I would have spent the money for four months of usage, I just don't have it to throw around...plus, if I had to take it to the shop for everything...who am I kidding, I can't afford it but I live it and deserve something I enjoy...for as long as I can hang with it. 100 grand as mentioned above is a pontoon boat or those fancy bow riders...outboards are 20 grand a pop...to many options out there for most families to tie up all your entertainment funds in a boat. And while there is plenty of money in this country, it's being held by fewer and fewer people so that might be biting some of the rich folks in the **** a bit...
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    For 4 months of usage a year (great lakes), if the weather cooperates, and if the kids aren't busy, and the admiral is in the mood, and if it's not broken...

Still love my boat!
    Agreed!
    2008 330EC