Options

Serpentine Belt

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another gates user here. Screw 100+ dollar belt. 30-40 bucks on amazon everyday of the week. 
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 211 ✭✭
    How often should you change belt?
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    captkevin said:
    How often should you change belt?
    I would say every 2-3 years.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Does anyone have a cross reference sheet from the Mercury belt to the Gates belts?
    Post edited by Cableguy Greg on
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    On my current boat, the belts are probably original and still in good shape. I carry two spares and I will install both when one shows wear or gives up. I don’t consider belts to be a preventative maintenance item like impellers because a visual inspection is easy. They’re also easy and quick to replace. Just my opinion. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC , I somewhat agree but I would want to replace before they fail. Would hate to have to have a bunch of guests get up off the back seat and watch me change a belt during our cruise to dinner.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Of course @aero3113 - any fraying or bad cracking and I would replace them. I’m in the bilge every week and I always check them. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'm on the same page as @YYZRC .  I'm in the bilge every week and I have two new belts ready if needed.  I don't believe I need to change them just because it has been so many years, but I do visually inspect them.  Impellers, yes I change those every two years.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have put 250 hours on our 270. With 100 hrs at time of purchase, I assume it was the orgional belt when it failed shortly after...but it was the water pump impeller. I figured out the pump was gummed up when I ran up the street to the local auto parts , matched it up going through belts. Found one that looked like it fit, bought 2 and back to the ramp. Belt was smoking! But did not break...and I have the spare. 150 hours on my something for a dodge belt.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I have gone through a few belts.  Mostly due to me just not getting the steering pump on correctly.  Lesson learned.  Always double check with a straight edge that the pulleys are at the same depth.  I have noticed that if i run at WOT for any length of time i will get some belt fibers in the engine compartment.  I keep a spare or two because i have had to replace one while out and have also had to limp in with just one engine.  It is always the engine with the PS pump that has the issues and coming back with no steering just isn't fun.  My belt is a different part number than mentioned above as I am closed cooling.  I just recently purchased  "OEM MerCruiser V6/V8 Alpha Serpentine Belt 861758Q 57-861758 57-861758Q" for $120 as i couldn't find a comparison to anything else...Gates included.  So if anyone does find a comparison chart please post it.  I would love to have another spare.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @davidbrooks my boat neighbor was having an issue with excessive wear and spitting belts on one of this motors.  There was a bracket that holds an idler pulley in place and the PO bolted it on the wrong way around and the washer was on the wrong side.  It was only a hair out of alignment but it was enough to cause chaos.
  • Options
    @YYZRC I had the same issue with the PS pump.  Once i finally got it figured out i had gone through a few belts.  The trouble is that they seem fine at the dock at low RPM's.  It is at WOT that you really see it when you have an issue you didnt know you had.
  • Options
    New belts are on the way!!
    This is my port engine. I heard a clicking sound the last run of the season. Figured it was a pulley going bad. Everything spun freely when I checked the pulleys, then I found this….

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Is one of the pulleys out of alignment?
  • Options
    I don’t know, I’ll have to look further into it before the new belt goes on.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    that looks odd....any recent repairs to get it out of align? I would not think ( and I'm no mechanic) it would separate like that even if the pulley was not aligned....maybe just old?
  • Options
    @rasbury no recent work and the belt is 3 seasons old.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Maybe just a bad belt...I have on here somewhere mine is from a dodge van I put on in a pinch. Bought2, figured it would leave me...still going!
  • Options
    Grab a carpenters square or 2ft level and run it across the outside edge of your pulleys. It is a very quick way to see if there is one not aligned. Was it an OEM belt or a different brand? 
  • Options
    @davidbrooks it’s a Quicksilver belt was $112.00 🙄
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Is there a way to adjust a pulley if it’s not aligned? Bend the bracket??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I ordered 2 Gates belts to replace them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Just spacers. Grab one or two washers if needed. Any more than that and you have other issues.
  • Options
    Received the belts today. Now I need spring to come along so I can use them!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 are you wincing at the lack of Merc logo on those??  :dizzy:
  • Options
    LoL! Yes… but liking the $180 savings for the two!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    Anyone knows the Mercruiser 57-865615003 cross reference belt. I can not find anything online about it. Thx
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are but a few belt makers, they brand for other OEM’s and even other “belt suppliers.”  Those Merc belts are probably either Gates or Conti supplied. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've never tried them there is a belt called gator back. Used to be a good year belt but now it's continental. 

Especially if you have a vehicle an engine that likes to squeak the belt under hard acceleration even after you've installed all new tensioner, idler's and all pulleys align with straight edge. 
  • Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @PickleRick to add to your post, you are correct, they are made by Continental. They are the Continental Elite series. Been using them for about three years, they work great and are completely silent. Best part is they are around $25.