Options

Serpentine Belt

13»

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those belt squeeks under hard acceleration in a vehicle are from the alternator. When the transmission shifts the engine rpm drops, the alternator inertia wants to keep it at the high rpm.  The squeek is the belt slipping a bit until the alternator slows down.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I may have to look into this belt as I need to replace one on my street rod that squeals at startup and maybe the boat too cause I have one that has always made a little noise 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 7.3 I wasn't sure if I wanted to blame the hydro boost (runs power steering and brakes) or my alternator.

I aquired it with 230k miles.  I first tired new gates belt.  I then replaced idlers and tensioner (all OEM) because I still had the squeak on start up and acceleration.  The gator back eliminated the squeak immediately.   

The same gator back belt has been on there ever since, this has been 100k ago and belt still looks good.  I have a new spare under the passenger seat. 

Like someone else said, it was a sub 30 dollar belt. I think I spent 50 on the gates which went into the garbage.