FV270 HOT WATER HEATER

skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
Just curious how many of you actually use the hot water heater? I have had my 270 for 3 seasons no and other than to winterize it I have never used the hot water. Thinking of using that AC circuit for a cockpit fridge instead. 
Would there be much downside to that idea?

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other then resale, no. What breakers does your panel have? Maybe you can add one without getting rid of the water heater. Are there any AC breakers not being used?
    2008 330EC
    edited April 2020
    We used the hot water often on our 242. And now that our 330 has hot water at the transom shower, even better.
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use ours all the time for dishes and for a warm/hot shower when anchored out or after swimming with the transom shower. Having said that, except for when we're plugged in at the marina, the heat is coming from the engine.
    I'd suggest leaving it in place, if you remove it you'll just have to figure out a way to re-route the hoses from the heat exchanger, and carefully re-route or configure the circuit so you can use it for the fridge but switch back, for example a new owner.
    Better yet, if you don't have Air Conditioning you should have a blank circuit on your panel, why not just pop in a breaker and run a new circuit? By the time you re-route from water heater it's just about the same work and it'll allow to have both.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I dont think I have room to add a new breaker in my panelj
    What if you tapped off of that outlet? I’m sure it’s hardly used.
    2008 330EC
    That was the other option I was thinking. But tapping off from the power outlet in the head.
    Ahh, I see. You have the generator and A/C. Yeah, maybe tap off that receptacle, someone here should know what the ABYC rules are on that. I have three receptacles on my 270, that one, one over on the side of the locker (where your AV cabinet would be on later models) and one up on deck in the little cutout where the cooler goes that a P/O installed. We use it all the time for a plug in Koolatron and from what I can see they all run off that one breaker. Not all in use at the same time of course.
    @skuter99 , your 270 doesn’t have an outlet on the top deck?
    2008 330EC
    I do not have a generator but the switch is there on the panel. For outlets there is currently the one on the panel, one behind the tv in the cabinet and one under the sink in the head. I think they all run with the same outlet breaker currently
    No I currently do not have an outlet on the top deck
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Four Winns used the battery charger breaker for the fridge as well. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • marooon35marooon35 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    We use ours mainly for washing dishes, Last season I moved it from beside the motor to in front of the fresh water tank and built a bosch frame over it and mounted the storage tote on top of it. Giving me way more room to work on the motor and get into the engine compartment if need be. 2000 270FV
    That is an awesome idea! Always thought that was wasted space. And could never reach into that bin anyway. With it raised like that you can likely reach it through the garbage can hatch.
    Thats where my heater is currently located as well.
    Looks like original 2004 location.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 05 is in front of the fresh tank...where else could you put it down there, I'm pretty full!
    edited April 2020
    On earlier models like my 2000 it was beside the water tank, spun so facing fore and aft. Between water tank and engine block. Edit: found a pic. And don't let the dirty engine bay fool you. Pic is from when I first went to check out the boat to buy.

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Back when I had my 270 I use my hot water heater all the time. I would leave the hot water. There is an outlet behind the fidge and the range is on the same circuit.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    So what is in front of the tank then?
    rasbury said:
    So what is in front of the tank then?
    Open topped storage bin/tub. 
    That would be good I guess...not much you can service on that side of the motor anyway...
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    nothing like a hot shower on a 270 
    we use ours
  • pilawampilawam Member Posts: 52
    Does anyone know to load water into the tank, should I be turning clockwise or counterclockwise. And should the valve face me or face to the side. I have 05 320 FV with a Atwood ehtr tank
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    270 owner as well.  Use our hot water all the time for cleaning, rinses ect...

I also do not have a 120v power outlet on deck

My 02 engine bay has looks like @Willhound
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3