Options

New to Rinker, thoughts on a 2006 320

Volkl1996Volkl1996 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
I am new to the Rinker brand. I'm currently boatless and have found 2 boats I like. I've owned 2 Maxums, 1 Sea Ray, 1 Regal, and 2 Montereys. I was happy with all of them. All were 30+ cruisers except the Regal, which was a sedan Fit, finish and quality was good on all of them. I didn't like the plastic thru hull fittings on the Monterey though. 

First one is a 2005 Cruisers Yachts 320 Express with twin inboard 5.7 Volvo's. I've inspected it and really like it. Love the cabin layout and room, especially the usable space in the aft cabin with the sofa. I'm neutral on the cockpit. I prefer having cockpit seating on the port  side of the helm, and a level floor with minimal step-ups in the cockpit. Engine access is quite a challenge, with the inboards. And the engine hatch width is not the full width of the engines, you can't get to the outside of both engines. 

2nd one is a 2006 Rinker 320 with twin FWC Mercruiser 5.7 with BIII outdrives. I love the cockpit layout. I'm neutral on the cabin layout. It has the laminated woods floors, which look nice. I have not inspected it yet. Buyers broker I'm using has and says it's in great shape. Painted blue hull, very clean. 

I'm 6'4" so I need to able to stand at the helm. He says I can on the 320.

I'll being using the boat on a fresh water river. 

Thoughts and opinions on the 320?

Post edited by Volkl1996 on

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I used to own that same model, just older.  There wasn't a thing I didn't like, well except the generator was tough to work on.  Newer models have it now forward of engines.  That did end up taking away a little space off of vberth.  At your height, you will want to sleep in aft.  There should be no problem standing at helmets or cabin. May be right in head, not sure cause floor does go up a little in there.

The 5.7 with B3s, that boat will go real well.  My 2002 310 had the 5.0 MPIs and was never a problem getting on plane, fully loaded for a 10 day trip with 4 people.  Let us know how it goes.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for your feedback. Everything I'm reading about the Rinker brand is positive. There's a few high brow snob folks who of course have their not so favorable opinions.

Here's the boat I'm considering

Used 2006 Rinker 320 Express Cruiser, 21122 Pasadena - Boat Trader

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I have had a 2005 320 since 2011. We love the boat but there are a few things that we would change. The deck is awesome as it has lots of room to entertain. The cabin not so. There really is no spot to chill as the bench seat is very uncomfortable. If I had my way I would take out the forward berth and make it into a sitting area. The other thing is it leans to starboard. Not a big deal but if pisses me off. I thought of moving the genny to port but it looked like too much work for what I would gain. Although the hull and construction is probably one of the strongest because the bottom is somewhat flat it will pound you up in rough seas. I was once crossing the lake in rough seas and the cabin shelves fell off and it was a bit of a yard sale in the cabin as the tv and stereo fell out of the wall. No boat is perfect but for the money this one 
    is close. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first looked at Rinker I made the mistake after searching the brand on the hull truth. That was an incredible waste of time, a bunch of people saying stuff about a boat the never owned. People need to remember your basically buying a hull and everything else is off the shelf same as any other boat. Now I understand the finish on some is going to be nicer or worse but that's a different story. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    My two Monterey 302s had an open v-berth area with bench seating. I liked it a lot though it was a pain to make the bed and get it ready every night for sleeping. If I go see the one I'm interested in I'll have to pay attention to that starboard leaning, things like that bug me too. My Sea Ray 330 sundancer listed to the starboard side and it always bugged me.

Chaparral makes a 330 that has a real nice forward sitting area. I almost bought one but I don't like the closed in aft cabin, too claustrophobic.

It will be just me and the girlfriend. so I'm not too concerned about entertaining space.

Thanks for your feedback. 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    goalie59 said:
    The other thing is it leans to starboard. Not a big deal but if pisses me off.  
    Same here on our 2014. It's only a couple of inches, but drives me crazy.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 2013EC 310 sat level in the water as did our 2014EC 360 but I added batteries on both - Series 31 AGMs so that was a lot of weight. It is easier to move batteries or a storage/gear box than any other (think genny) around. I have helped fellow boaters re-balance by moving batteries, gear in the engine compartment, anchors in the transom lockers and gear in the lower cabin. We usually found a way to level the boat off with a bit if trial and error. If you like the Rinker's basic upper and lower layouts or can make some easy mods then, like @Aqua_Aura said you will get a tremendous hull and value for the money while the rest of the add-ons (refrigerator etc.) are common to most boats. The "snooty factor" well there's that until they see how much boat you boat for your money.......:-)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    My challenge is they're both priced about the same, in fact the Rinker is priced a little higher.

I'm not a big fan of the cabin layout on the Rinker, but I like the cockpit layout a lot. I am a big fan of the cabin layout on the cruisers yachts, but not so much on the cockpit.

Then there is the inboard vs. outdrives difference. I'm leaning towards outdrives as I plan to keep the boat stored in a boatel/boathouse. The boathouse doesn't allow inboards. 
  • Options
    Hands down for that size boat, I'd take stern drives.  Inboard are quite a bit slower and less economical.  Very hard to work on with limited space in engine room.  They do stay on plane nice at slower speeds, if you are into entertaining while cruising.

• Options
    @Dream_Inn you are very close to both boats if you're in Annapolis. I'm in Richmond, VA. 
  • Options
    My first 2 boats were outdrives, next 2 inboards, last 2 outdrives. I prefer the outdrives for the added space in the engine compartment and getting better angles at cruising speeds. I prefer the inboards for docking, maintenance, low speed cruising and smoothness. 
  • Options
    It sounds like you know boats well enough, just need to figure out which type of propulsion you desire.  Yes, Pasasena is within a half hour north.  Where is the other?

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree it sounds like you’ve had enough boats to know what you want. May come down to how you will use it. If you are just going to use it for day trips and Saturday night stays then the better cockpit is probably best, but if you plan to do more multi night cruising then you may want the better cabin. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I agree with all the comments above. For me I would take the boat with inboards. But then I just paid $6500.00 to have my outdrives done. My neighbour that has inboards never spends even close to that. 
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn the Cruisers Yachts is at Fosters Yacht Sales in Edgewater. Rinker is at Atlantic Marina on the Magothy river, New York Ave. 

I'm an overnight river boater at this stage in my boating life. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you hit something. Have an acquaintance that decided to get into boating, although not a boater, and for his first boat he decided on an old 34' Bayliner with inboards. Got off course and struck a rock. New prop and shaft and the work was $10,500.
    Then the idiot managed to do it again later in the season on the other drive and took the brass prop off, another $4500. He would have gladly paid to have a drive redone.
    An isolated example maybe. But even having to have a shaft pulled to have the packing redone can be several thousand dollars. Any boat can have high drive related costs.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Bent the shaft and props 2 different times on my 330DA Sundancer hitting under water logs that were not visible. Not a pleasant experience, but insurance paid both times.
  • Options
    I agree. But in most cases those are insurance claims that will only cost you the deductible. Outdrive maintenance over a span of ownership is huge . 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True. In my guys case they paid the second repair and then cancelled his insurance. He tried to scam by putting the boat in his wife's name and going to another company. Worked for about a month but he failed to realize that a lot of companies use a central database of claims so after a month the new company cancelled too. Ended up selling the boat for about half of what he paid for it. But he always was a little dense.
    Anyway, off topic. I think whichever boat gets chosen is good but I have to be a little partial to the Rinker of course. 😎
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Volkl1996 said:
    @Dream_Inn the Cruisers Yachts is at Fosters Yacht Sales in Edgewater. Rinker is at Atlantic Marina on the Magothy river, New York Ave. 

I'm an overnight river boater at this stage in my boating life. 
    FWIW, Jonathan Foster is a great guy!  It is only a few miles from where I live.  We bought our first boat from him and he really helped us out as first time boaters.  That was over 20 years ago.

• Options
    @Dream_Inn yes, I've been impressed with Debra there, probably the best broker I've ever dealt with. 
  • Options
    NY320NY320 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    We own the 2006 320 since new. Powered by Volvo 5.7s with traditional Duo Prop drives. The boat has faired us well. Normal maint etc, The only complaint is the poor ride in chop . But this I new going in. The cockpit is great , If you have any direct questions please ask 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkl1996 said:
    @Dream_Inn yes, I've been impressed with Debra there, probably the best broker I've ever dealt with. 
    Why not a 342?
  • Options
    I'm 6'3", I can't stand at the helm on a 342
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Made the 6 hour round trip today to look at the Rinker 320. The painted hull is beautiful. I love the cockpit layout. The helm would be a challenge for me. At various sitting positions I'm either looking at the windshield frame or the isinglass edges and zippers. A corner of the helm faux wood is broken, not a deal-breaker. I can't put my finger on it but something about the helm felt off to me. When I liftef up the bolster seat it felt like the seat was going to break.

I was not a fan of the cabin though. The sliding cabinet doors felt flimsy and cheap to me, like they would easily break. The salon seat felt stiff, upright and not very comfortable. It had laminated wood floors which is nice, but I feel like there was just too much wood. I think there are too many small cabinets as well. It felt like everywhere I turned I found another small cabinet. I prefer the overhead cabinets where the portholes usually are, with actual doors vs. sliding doors. 

Engine compartment access was nice, I could get to everything. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkl1996 said:
    I can't put my finger on it but something about the helm felt off to me. When I liftef up the bolster seat it felt like the seat was going to break.
    I feel the same way about my 330. For me, I think the steering wheel is too far forward and it is too far to the starboard side. I’m only 6’ but I’m all legs and arms, no torso!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC , even with the captains seat slid all the way back?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    I don’t remember what model boat but I do remember a mod some owners made to raise their bench seat. 
    I think it was a 270.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Volkl1996 said:
    I can't put my finger on it but something about the helm felt off to me. When I liftef up the bolster seat it felt like the seat was going to break.
    I feel the same way about my 330. For me, I think the steering wheel is too far forward and it is too far to the starboard side. I’m only 6’ but I’m all legs and arms, no torso!
    I think that may be it, I felt like the steering wheel was at my knees. And the visibility through the windshield and isinglass sitting even with the bolster seat up was not good. The seat itself felt kind of flimsy as well. When I tried to move it it was very loose and actually felt like it was going to break off.
  • Options
    The wheel should have a tilt function on it to help.
    2008 330EC