Options

I’m in, but.....

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got dropped in today around 9 am. Low tide was at 11 am. I went out for a run and everything was perfect until I got back to the slip! First line up to the slip was perfect and slowly started backing in. As soon as I got to the front of my slip the boat stopped! Too shallow!! I was able to raise the drives and pull forward then got stuck again in the middle of my marina! This seemed like an extremely low tide for some reason. I was idling for a short period and both engine temperatures started to rise and got an alarm. I shut them down and waited a while. A little while later I started her back up port engine temp was fine and stayed cool, starboard started to overheat again. I waited a while for the tide to rise and was able to get her in the slip. I ran both engines again, I pulled the top drain plug off of the pump on starboard and no suction, I pulled the top plug off of the port pump and there was a good amount of suction. I think sand got sucked in and something jammed up the starboard impeller and spun it on its shaft. I have a impeller kit on order. I don’t have any valves to block off the water so will have to get some wooden dowels to plug up the line when the pump is off. If anyone has changed a pump in the water and have any tips, please let me know!

I pushed her up to 5K and was just over 40 MPH, I didn’t want to push any more but was curious!

It was fun while it lasted!!!!

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I changed mine in the water on a Volvo it has the pump on the front of the harmonic balancer. I did buy the wooden plug but it actually wasn't necessary as I had no water coming in. The change took about 30 min and that was with being very unfamiliar with the boat at the time since I only had it a couple weeks. 

You should keep a replacement on board. If I had one onboard already I could have saved the time waiting for a tow. From break down to getting back to the dock was about 3 hours cause the wait was so long. Would have been nice to fix it in 30 min and continue my boating day. 

This should help 

https://youtu.be/rOrlvEypvBM
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks @Aqua_Aura , I’ve seen that video before. It’s strange that you didn’t have any water coming in? I think I’m going to try and remove the hoses at the pump once I have it loose instead of using the quick disconnect.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I guess it's above the waterline, I was surprised as well. There may have been a little but not gushing like I would have expected. I was searching to see the difference in Merc and that came up so I figured if you hadn't seen it. That's crazy your marina is that shallow 😬 Good luck! 

That's much more involved than Volvo. I used to wish I had Merc but the more I see I am actually very happy with my Volvo especially since I have found ways to source parts much cheaper. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Jeez that stinks I would insist on a deeper slip from marina. No fun having to plan trips around tide.  Have seen somewhere that you can disconnect hoses and bend them up above the water line with minimal water into the boat. I would have a plug ready just in case. Hope you didn’t hurt those pretty new props  
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yea, people are informed. I had the drives up so I don’t think I hurt the props.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always something every time you go out
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the Merc engines, even in the water changing the pump is very doable. The water intake is high on the outdrive where it comes into the boat. Not that much flows in. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Ok, that’s good news. I do have Mercs.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Get a rag and a screwdriver.  Disconnect the hose and use the screwdriver to stuff the rag into the end of the hose.  It'll be fine for long enough to change the impeller.  Even if the rag falls out for a few moments, it's not going to sink the boat.  
  • Options
  • Options
    If you change it on the water then you can be better than the first mechanic I called. He told me flat out "I don't work on the water". I wanted to seriously ask him... Do you realize boats are on the water? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LoL, that’s crazy!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed one in the water. There wasn't much water that came in, and do what LaRea stated, stuff a rag in the end of the hose. You will be fine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Did you guys disconnect the quick disconnect on the intake hose or just remove the hose at the pump?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    aero3113 said:
    Did you guys disconnect the quick disconnect on the intake hose or just remove the hose at the pump?
    If you do separate the connection at the quick connect be sure to spray both sides of the connection with WD40 or something similar. I had a heII of a time getting mine to go back together. It clipped right back in once it had some WD40 on it.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice @earl1z19 but WD40 is a petroleum product and not good for rubber hoses. A silicone based lubricant, either spray or plumbers grease is better. No adverse effects on rubber. Even good old fashioned dish soap in a pinch.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Good advice @earl1z19 but WD40 is a petroleum product and not good for rubber hoses. A silicone based lubricant, either spray or plumbers grease is better. No adverse effects on rubber. Even good old fashioned dish soap in a pinch.
    You are correct! I did use WD40 on Starboard and then I used Silicone on the Port. WD40 was in a pinch while sporting a bad attitude....
  • Options
    Yes, I used DC 111 to install them last time, it really helps to use lube.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used dish soap yesterday when I did my impeller. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Fixed it! I took the intake hose off and had a dribble of water than nothing. I tried to blow in the line and couldn’t. I took my shop vac and put it on blow and I heard it start bubbling after a while out the drive. Ran it for 15 minutes and the risers were cool to the touch. I still have to bay test but all looks good now 😀.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Water wasn’t that bad coming in once the line was cleared.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I would still change out the impeller as it may have got sand in there or if it did get hot the impeller can get brittle if it hasn't already come apart some. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yea, I was thinking about that.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you fixed it. I did the impeller on 270 years ago in the water and the water was coming in faster then a garden just held the hose up by the manifold (above the water line) and all was good.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks @reneechris14 , it wasn’t the best first launch but glad it’s figured out. I guess it depend how low the boat sits. I bought the tapered wooden dowel kit from WM , definitely nice to have when removing lines.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    40 mph at 5000 rpm I would say those props are dialed in just right. 
  • Options
    Yea! I was nervous. Tough to buy props in the middle of winter and you can’t test them out. They said they would swap them if there was an issue but who wants to have to remove them and ship them back.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    What should I expect to cruise at? I wasn’t paying attention during that, LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    28-30 mph and 3800- 4000 rpm  is where my 342 cruisers at. With that said I think it runs flatter at 34mph but to many R's for me. This is stock 22 pitch props. 
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the info..
    2008 330EC