Options

2 beep warning

Yesterday we were out and everything was good.  On our way back in, we slowed down for no wake, I started getting 2 beep warning.  Everything looked good.  As we were almost back to the slip, it cut off.  Now when you try to start, you get a 2 beep warning and it wont start.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ravens1274Ravens1274 Member Posts: 11
    It's a fiesta vee 250.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of how it happened and because it won't try to start, I'd wager it one of two sensors: 

Check your oil pressure sensor... its usually below the distributor on the block.. it will interrupt any attempt o start or run of it doesn't sense pressure... it kinda shoves onto a pin and has a little boot over it... if it wasn't snug it could easily be jarred loose or off during a bounce. 

Next is the crank position sensor.. it can also bounce loose if not snug, but its less likely.  It's on starboard side of engine behind crank pulley on the block.  You'll see why 'less likely' when you see it...

It could also be the cam position sensor.  Also on block behind/under dizzy. 

Otherwise, simply check the wires... the coil wires, the battery wires.. a bad connection there (also can be jarred loose especially if not good to begin with) will allow small draws past (beep, radio, lights, bilge blower or pump, ect) but when you demand amps for starting its dead a lead.  Shoot.... this may be the first thing I'd check... it needs a good connection to not only start, but to run.   
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    All good points. I posted the beep codes which says IAC valve but it would be odd to have that cause the boat not starting. Possible but odd. Try advancing the throttle a tiny bit and see if it starts. If it does I'd suspect IAC. If not, then all the rest that @212rowboat suggested.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.   I did push throttle forward and it started right up.  I had a mechanic look at it today to read the codes.  It is the IAC valve.   
  • Options
    Good stuff. Must have just outright failed. Sometimes you'll get a bit of warning with some hard starting or stalling when you put it into gear. Or in your case it just outright quits. One of those parts that are good to have a spare along with a distributor cap and rotor. Can save a weekend on the water.