Generator Hose

Huff310Huff310 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I was at the boat this weekend and noticed that the bilge keep running so finally I open the engine hatch and noticed that the inlet hose for the generator had a slice in it. My question is what is the difference between the factory hose to a rubber steel enforced hose from Lowes? The price is a huge difference. Factory = $10 per foot and Lowes =$1 per foot. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great comment Al. Perfect case where 'marine' is different than 'non-marine'.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Huff310Huff310 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Well that's what the marine hose did and filled the hatch. Lucky I was on the boat when it happened or it would sink. I'll look around thanks
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good reason to check hoses, belts, etc. on regular basis.  Which reminds me....

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    My first question would be "How the heck did the generator water inlet hose get a slice in it" ?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Frodo asked a good first question that you really need to figure out an answer to.  If it truly is a slice, well, that does not just "happen".  As far as engine rooms, I am taking a peek in mine every single week.  The more you look, the more you notice something different when there is something wrong.

Good luck Huff & hopefully you get it all figured out and enjoy the rest of the summer!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a gen.. I don't even have a head, or a cabin.. my a/c is 40mph in a crosswind and howling of wind through my teeth... if I did have a gen that had mysterious injuries to it's lines that necessitated a replacement, you can bet on two things:

it would be a marine hose as described by Al, and when it was replaced, it would be wearing a stainless braided 'engine dress up' protective sheath.. like you can find at Summit Racing, Jegs.. ect...

I'd also keep some talc powder on board, or at least with my utilities kit, and sprinkle some of that on it from time to time... what doesn't vacuum off or blow off would give me cause to investigate...

just an idea.. :-)
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    First off, congrats on saving your boat Huff. I'd definitely follow Als sage advice and go with marine grade hose and fittings.

It's also a wise cruiser who keeps a cone shaped foam/rubber/wooden plug/bung tied at each through hull fitting. A failure at sea can be catastrophic as recently experienced by some personal friends who were in transit last month to Key West when a fitting failed and was caught too late. They watched from the life boat as the twin masted 38' sailboat went down and was lost.

I know it seems like a protective thing Drew but anything that would hinder quickly cutting away a failing hose to insert a plug would be inadvisable. Regular inspection and replacement is the best insurance.

Here's one of many cruisers articles on handling the chaos of a fitting failure at sea.
    (Dont SINK LINK)

Hope that helps. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    didn't think of that..... you nailed me cold...

We all share from our past experience and each poster has a unique past to draw from with the RBOC as a place to safely post an opinion. You've been especially incredible with the engine insight. Thanks for spending so much time helping others on the site. I'm always open to a new way to do something if it's an improvement for everyone and it's all good boating stuff and worth the discussion. Cya Mike

I loved how casual those guys in the video were when they took a hammer to that through hull fitting! OMG my heart would be racing.  :-t
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    This place is great like that... I'm a novice when its all said and done so far as open water is concerned... An experienced boater like you, Mike, would be motoring back to port, whilst I sat there like the little dutch boy with my finger crammed in the leak, and trying to reach the flares with my toes.. :-D
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    West Marine sells the "bungs" in a 3 pack of different sizes. I think yheirs are wooden. Years ago my friend's dad tore the sleeve off his T shirt and wrapped it around a carrot which he jammed in a hose. If the boat is going down 5 miles form shore it's easier to get creative. I recommend a wooden or plastic "bung" set. Plugs (bungs) $15 boat $______ Good advice Mike! MT

It's a wise cruiser/boater who keeps a couple of cone shaped foam/rubber/wooden plugs stowed in the bilge, preferably tied at every seacock. Wrapping a hose with a SS sleeve would work against you if you had to quickly cut a damaged hose free and insert a bung.

Had some friends who were forced to abandon ship last month off of Ft Meyers en-route to KeyWest when a hose failed and wasn't caught in time.. They lost a 38' double masted sailboat. Here's one of many interesting topics on emergency hole procedure at sea. Glad you didn't loose the boat Huff. Be safe and follow Als sage advice, buy marine grade, Mike

(Don't sink LINK)

First off, congrats on saving your boat Huff. I'd definitely follow Als sage advice and go with marine grade hose and fittings.

It's also a wise cruiser who keeps a cone shaped foam/rubber/wooden plug/bung tied at EACH through hull fitting. A failure at sea can be catastrophic as recently experienced by some personal friends who were in transit last month to Key West when a fitting failed and was caught too late. They watched from the life boat as the twin masted 38' sailboat went down and was lost.

I know it seems like a protective thing Drew but anything that would hinder quickly cutting away a failing hose to insert a plug would be inadvisable. Regular inspection and replacement is the best insurance.

Here's one of many cruisers articles on handling the chaos of a fitting failure at sea. The cover shot speaks volumes.....
    (Dont SINK LINK)

Hope that helps. Mike