Options

When it rains it pours PART TWO!

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, taking some deep breaths over here... you may want to sit down - I had to. 

Brought the boat to the mechanic for what I thought was a gimbal bearing problem. He calls up today and says "Metal in the drive oil" ............. *(#@!!!

If you've been following this boat, at some point I seemed to have run over some indestructible fishing line, which then somehow screwed up the prop shaft seal and let water into the drive... not sure how, but it is what it is. So I brought it to someone in FL first thing... they decided to REPAIR the drive... even though insurance was on board for fixing it, INSTEAD of replacing, even though I asked the mechanic to make a replacement claim instead of repair.  Well......after REPAIRING the drive and the gimbal bearing, if you recall I had it in the water for a total of ONE WEEK and realized I had a leak... a bad one, that required the motor to come out, sanding down the transom, re-sealing it, etc etc... so it was out of the water for SIX months. One week after putting it back in the water I hear a noise... everyone says gimbal bearing... until today when the mechanic replaced the gimbal bearing and the noise was still there!!!

They took the drive apart and he simply says "Water damage in upper and lower, needs to be replaced"...

Sigh. My bayliner NEVER gave me problems like this. Good old 130 hp motor with an Alpha 1 !!

At this point, it's obviously got to be replaced... to be continued.  

Comments