Options

Chicago

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are there any places that have transient slips in the Windy City? Might pull my boat to Indiana and boat over to Chicago one weekend this summer. Where would you all recommend? 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bry1429 could help you with that if you pm him.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they either just re opened all of the water front marinas or they are opening them this week. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Every harbor has transient slips available.  There's an android app called dockwa where you can make reservations.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg - Burnham harbor is great though it will be pretty quiet with covid.  Usually there's concerts every weekend.  But great views of the skyline nonetheless
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm in Burnham. We are fully open with no Covid restrictions - and have plenty of transient slips available. If you are looking to be within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, etc. I would not recommend Burnham unless you like walking. Burnham has great views, but is not close to dining/shopping. It is close to the museums.

I would recommend DuSable. We were in DuSable for a couple of years. DuSable is closer to Navy Pier, Michigan Ave, and the River Walk. More walk-able to more touristy things than Burnham.

There should be plenty of transient slips this season due to the Covid mess. Lots of people opted out for the season.

You can use Dockwa, but I would call the harbor directly. They are generally nice, and I think you may get a better rate, but not sure. They also might redirect to Dockwa. It's fairly new to our harbor system. 

Also, go through the locks and down the Chicago River. Definitely a must-do.

If you have any other questions or need any local info, let me know.
  • Options
    Good advice from @TonyG13
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg - Also check out the water intake cribs while you're here. We swung around this one today. It's about 3 miles off of DuSable harbor. Built in 1891 to supply fresh water. It's now abandoned and taken over by wildlife...

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you not go in Chicago?? 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    is that a serious question @Handymans342?

If you are a boater and are just going to be venturing out of the harbors to see the city just be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

Unfortunately violence is appearing everywhere.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Yes, Chicago gets the bad rap on pure numbers, but on a per capita basis, the most true statistical indicator, Chicago isn't even in the top ten of cities for violent crime.

You are more likely to be a victim of violent crime in places like Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Nashville. We've had the rep ever since Al Capone, but as @skennelly said if you just practice common sense - anywhere you go - you lessen your chances of becoming a victim.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love Chicago. The whole river area and waterfront are spectacular. Navy Pier a little Coney Island "ish" but fun. Billy Goat Tavern. Pequod's Pizza, viewing from the John Hancock Center. The Riverwalk. (Yes, I'm a tourist) and countless other bars I can't remember the names of. Hopefully some of that is open when you're there.
    Did I mention the bars?  B)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @Willhound - Absolutely...it's an awesome place to be especially in the summer.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++. Dockwa

also, be aware there are marinas in the Chicago area that have fixed bridges to get under. Make sure yours fits. lol. I had to cancel reservations last year due to that. Water level that high. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ++. Dockwa

also, be aware there are marinas in the Chicago area that have fixed bridges to get under. Make sure yours fits. lol. I had to cancel reservations last year due to that. Water level that high. 
    Good point. Those would be Diversey Harbor and Jackson Park Inner Harbor.

Also, looks like effective May 1 Dockwa is the "official" reservation system for Chicago harbors. I'd still call a harbor directly first just to see.
  • Options
    Thank you all. I am considering putting in at Portage, IN at one of the marinas along the river. It's a 26 mile run to the Navy Pier area. I would lock thru for sure so we could boat along the river downtown. That lock isn't much of a lock though, more of a PITA. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg - Are you thinking about staying at Marina Shores? If so, let us know how you like it. We were thinking of shooting over there later this year for an overnight.
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    @Cableguy Greg - Are you thinking about staying at Marina Shores? If so, let us know how you like it. We were thinking of shooting over there later this year for an overnight.
    I was going to launch there, but they don't have a ramp. It looks like a beautiful marina. There is a public launch at Sammie L. Maletta, but was unsure as to how safe it would be to park my truck and trailer there for a weekend. I am also considering Doyne's marina. It's $9 to launch and their site says that I can leave my rig there for the weekend. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg

"That lock isn't much of a lock though, more of a PITA."

What do you mean?  It's like a 5' foot water adjustment between lake and river levels.  Agreed it is a pain especially when there's a lot of traffic.  Life jackets required by all passengers including animals.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    @Cableguy Greg

"That lock isn't much of a lock though, more of a PITA."

What do you mean?  It's like a 5' foot water adjustment between lake and river levels.  Agreed it is a pain especially when there's a lot of traffic.  Life jackets required by all passengers including animals.
    We are used to 25 foot rise or fall when we go through a lock. We have to have our own 100' lock lines on board to give to the lock master. We also are required to wear life jackets. Any lock is a pain. The one time I went trough the lock in Chicago, it was only a 3 foot rise and there were lines every 10 feet or so provided by the lock. That could have changed in the last 5 years. Wasn't meant to be a slam on Chi town or the lock. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg - 25 foot ha ha you got me there.  No slam taken.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    This is normal for us. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here but no tossing lines, use the cables or ropes hanging down to hold onto. Only vest rule is per NY State law - under 12 required, need to have enough for those onboard.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I am looking to go to Chicago in August. I have many questions with few answers right now. I am looking for a place to launch and retrieve the boat, and the lot be safe to leave the truck and trailer for the weekend. It looks like Burnham and 31st Street have launches on the South Side. Burnham seems to have more parking for truck and trailer. The other curve ball is the admiral wants to drive separately so she can go and visit family for the rest of the week after our Chicago adventure. Are these lots safe for a weekend? Any advice would be great!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I would recommend Burnham over 31st. As an added bonus to the usual security, Burnham has had a Chicago police vehicle parked in the lot 24/7 since the Police Memorial is on the property, so they're there to keep any potential protesters at bay. (None to date.)

Whichever you choose, make sure the ramp will be open (call the harbormaster directly before coming down). For some weird reason, which I still don't know, they shut down the launches last weekend without notice. Quite a few upset folks standing around.
  • Options
    Yes what @TonyG13 said.  Also Cook county covid numbers are rising.  Governor said yesterday we are dangerously close to going backwards and the mayor of Chicago said the same.  I wouldn't have your plans set in stone....I wouldn't put it past the mayor to shut things down for the season.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @TonyG13 - my guess is they shut things down because of the Chicago boat party to prevent people from doing it anyways.  Just my guess
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Good information. I might have to convince the admiral to wait until next year. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Good information. I might have to convince the admiral to wait until next year. 
    As much as it pains me to say, I think that's probably what you should do. Barely any restaurants, entertainment/museums, beaches, etc., are open in any normal capacity, so not sure you'd get your money's worth out of the trip.

About the only good thing would be the river. I hate going through during a regular season. Always have to fight water taxis, tour boats, and kayakers. This year - hardly any traffic. Makes that part nice at least, but that's only about 3 hours of your day.
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    @TonyG13 - my guess is they shut things down because of the Chicago boat party to prevent people from doing it anyways.  Just my guess
    Good point. I just felt sorry for all the bass boat guys who you know are just out for the fishing.
  • Options
    They trailer...can fish in any of the lakes around.  Don't feel too sorry for them.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3