Options

Covid boating strikes close to home in Clayton, NY

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
Went up to the boat Monday and heard a rumor that 3 restaurants closed in Clayton (where our boat is kept) due to Covid outbreaks. Didn't quite believe it so checked in the local Watertown Times.  Sure enough, article was there.  Employees in the 3 restaurants tested positive, so they shut down to sanitize thoroughly.  (Later report said 2 employees test positive, the 3rd restaurant closed and cleaned just to be safe).  But what really grabbed my attention was that contact tracing identified that a party of boats at Picton Island over the 4th of July was the source of the spread.  That's one of the main spots we go, and we were there that day.  

Fortunately we were in the deeper water (where we usually go), anchored alone, not even alongside with our daughter and husband who were there, as both our families have been carefully isolating.  But we did see, and comment on the free-for-all going on in the shallow water amongst 100 boats or so.  

Careful everyone.  You know not where it lies!

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I'm jealous that you guys have something called contact tracing, us down here in the south seem to have forgotten it exists... 

Every time I see a group of 20 or more people I just assume one of them has it. Going to be tough going back in to work soon. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea last weekend they closed down the restaurant, tiki bar, and market in our marina due to employees testing positive. Back open this weekend. We plan to just go anchor out tomorrow....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just cause they tested positive don’t mean they will get sick or make anyone sick for that matter!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's a virus expert these days..LOL
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    3 guys in my bowling league got it back in March when it first started hitting. A couple of my neighbors here at home got it too. All recovered. Haven't heard of anyone at our marina getting it
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Recovered is a lose term...there's long term affects on your lungs.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Recovered is a lose term...there's long term affects on your lungs.
    For a very small percentage. Your statement makes it sound like it applies to everyone. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Recent NIH statistics .5% long term damage.....not much more than a bad FLU strain (IMO). Masks almost useless - maybe harmful for 95% of population. Wash hands repeatedly and don't touch wet membranes = eyes, nose and mouth. The C19 molecule has weak walls and is very susceptible to water/washing. It is high on the dalton range and does not travel far. Three worst aspects of this disease: 1. incites panic and hyperbole 2. Economic disruption 3. causes friends/family to argue/fight over it.....and for God's sake it's a friggin' virus we are arguing/fighting over!
  • Options
    But MT all the hospitals are full and the kids can’t go back to school and we can’t travel and oh my what are we going to do!!!!!!!
  • Options
    LoL, look around Florida man, it's no joke here! :P
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    LoL, look around Florida man, it's no joke here! :P
    Young and dumb people
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    22 million people in FLA and 4800 deaths is 0.0218% of the population. Lets shut down the state and put millions and millions of people out of work and bankrupt the state. Now I know that sounds sarcastic and I certainly don't mean to be. Its very sad about those people that have passed and God rest their souls. Keep in mind that 81% of all deaths in the US are over the age 65. So lets protect our elderly and people with compromised health and get on with our lives. They are making the cure worse than the cause............ Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were only that simple. It's almost impossible to segregate the older folks and those with compromised health from potential carriers. Perfect example here:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7188224/florida-dad-coronavirus-teen/

Just one example but there are thousands of others similar.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    edited July 2020
    x
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    some people are experts
    some are stupid
    some are blo hards
    some are smart
    some are cautious 
    some just really have no clue.

lucky for our world n forum
    our group as them all

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said. And as long as we all keep our sticks on the ice it's all good. 🤞👍
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Willhound said:
    Well said. And as long as we all keep our sticks on the ice it's all good. 🤞👍
    Speaking of that, Hockey will be starting back up August 1st.  I'm gonna have a hockey watching party at the boat.  Yes, we'll be social distancing but having fun!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Does everyone think that the thousands of people getting positive tests back daily are going to self quarantine themselves?also the people traveling to ny 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
  • Options
    some1 say blue is such a great hockey color..
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Has anyone installed a projector on a boat? Im thinking of hanging screen along my hard top to pull down from above the dash then hanging a projector from the rear of the hard top.  Might not be any college football in Sept but we will have playoff hockey

Go pens!!!
  • Options
    Lol projector will be toast in 6 months
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i could suspend it from the curtain rail.  It would only be placed there while in use.  

Youre also forgetting that my boat sleeps on a trailer in the drive way when not in use.  Once the rinker sells the bayliner gets a garage too.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as no extra people die I guess everything is cool right?
  • Options
    we added this last year on the 270 = just mainly extended the swim platform = kinda a waste of money though = never use it

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    um, that is certainly not on a 270! LOL!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
  • Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @Spyderweb
    I was at Picton same day....with 2 other SeaRays. We stayed out in the deeper water as well but noticed the same partying you describe.
    And that night we ate at O'Briens eating. Luckily they are the one who DIDN"T have the positive tested employee.

All of us are fine, and overall it was a great 9 days on the River.
    We stayed 5 days at the boat house of Casa Blanca on Cherry Island; the mansion with gargoyles.

Heard they closed down Potter's and Picton; we were out on Canoe Point sandbar Saturday all day.....had to have been 150-200 boats out there. Other than a few groups, most were maxed out at no more than 2-3 like we were. 

I saw a black 342 I wanted to go talk to but the COVID kept me from being that social person I usually tend to be in that environment. 

Came back yesterday down to Henderson Harbor; Lady O was angry where she meets the River at Cape Vincent......5-7 footers with the occasional rogue even bigger. Slow and easy always wins!
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @RustyS Wow, you take long and extended trips.  Good for you.  Any chance you knew the boat Black Pearl down at Henderson.  That’s the previous name of my boat, and I believe the PO overwintered there at Henchen Marina, and maybe was berthed there.
  • Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @Spyderweb No; I don't recall seeing the Black Pearl.
    If it was at Henchens, I'm right across at Lake Ontario Mariner's Marina.
    Have been since late 2016 when I purchased my Rinker.
    How long have you owned her?