Options

Need urgent help - FIXED

bert_floridabert_florida Member Posts: 69
edited August 2020 in Engine Discussions
Hello all! Any help you can provide is highly appreciated. We're down in the Florida Keys with our FV 290 (long ways away from home port of Tampa Bay) and all of the sudden on our way to Marathon my starboard engine started to overheat. I immediately stopped the engine of course and opened the engine compartment to check things. I noticed a decent size leak that looks like is coming from the bottom of the lowest pulley (crank pulley?) Could it be the water circulation pump? If so, does anyone know a resource to find that part number based on my serial? I looked in mercruiserparts.com, but couldn't find a water circulation pump. Pardon my ignorance, but is the water circulation pump separate form the raw water pump? It is a Mercruiser 5.0 MPI engine. I can't go back home on a single engine for many reasons, long crossing over Florida bay and I can't get on plane with port engine only, plus starboard engine handles power steering too! What a pain, hope I can get it fixed soon so we can start the trip home.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Here is a link to a video that shows the leak:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ni87f3j4u84ouk/IMG_1660.mov?dl=0

Bert
Post edited by bert_florida on

Comments

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Can ruin a nice trip. Some info on make and model motors will help get you a faster response. Also is it fresh water or raw water cooled. Good luck getting it fixed
  • Options
    Thank you. They’re MerCruiser 5.0 MPI 2003 with Bravo 3 drives. 
  • Options
    Quicksilver Water Pump 8M0113734 - V-6 and V-8 MerCruiser Engines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBX3LE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sIVlFbC2FKR45
    I know this amazon link wont help you right now but it gives the OEM part number you are looking for and you can cross reference it for other manufacturers such as Sierra. Is there a West Marine near by?  Probably a 30 minute job once you have the pump
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Edit
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Make sure your serial number is below the one listed
  • Options
    Thanks guys. If you click on the link I provided you’ll see the leak, it looks like sea water pump, it’s the pump that the pulley is attached to, looks like leak is coming from the housing itself. My serial is OM604092. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Not good.  That's coming from the pulley shaft, which means the bearing seal has failed and is letting water into the bearings.  The pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced.  You can probably use it for a very short time, but at some point the bearings will overheat and seize.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe something as simple as one of the hoses came off? 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I just noticed the link. Your pump is bad. Unfortunately, you don’t have many options out on the water, as the only fix is replacing the pump. You’re looking at either limping it home or getting a tow. I wouldn’t run it long like that. The engine is going to keep overheating and then the pump will seize causing worse problems. 
  • Options
    I figured it was the pump housing. I’m not planing on running the engine like that. A tow is out of the question and limping too. I’m 300 NM from home with shortest hop over open waters being 100 NM. Do you know je this pump can be replaced with the boat in the water or does it need to be taken out?
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to do it with the boat in the water. It’s going to spill some water in the bilge when you take it off, but it’ll only be a gallon or so. 
  • Options
    Wonder if a generic pump for Chevy would work, at least to get me home. If anyone knows a part number to look for or has experience with it I would appreciate it. 
  • Options
    My bad.just saw video link  That is the raw water pump leaking. Not the circulation pump. Needs to be replaced before heading home IMO. Sorry for posting wrong part
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Yes, that’s your raw water pump. I would recommend replacing with the Stainless Hardin Gen 7 plus pump. I think there down in Florida so you might get lucky!
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very out in a limb but is there a way to plumb the good pump to run both sides 🤔. Easier to get hose and clamps if you can't find the raw water pump. I guess this would be if no other option will work. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where in the keys are you? If the upper keys I can help you with a couple options of getting it out of the water and in work racks. I have one guy who has worked on my boat and another one that might be working on it next week... I'd say it needs to come out and get that part replaced ASAP.  Mangrove Marina isn't cheap but they'll take it out ofr ya. If you're on the ocean look up Catamaran boat yard - they will also haul it for you. Lastly Tavernier Creek Marina will pull you out, but I'm not sure anyone there works on our kinds of boats. 
  • Options
    It can be done in the water, I had to do it the first day I put my 330 in the water. Sucked up some mud and clogged the intake hose.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Sounds like a nightmare!!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's no easier to do out of that water. Just bring the tools and parts down to the boat. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Sounds like a nightmare!!
    It wasn’t bad at all. Pulled the pump, used a tapered wooden plug for the outlet and put my shop vac on reverse to blow out the intake line. Saved a ton of $ doing it myself. Not much water rushes in, you can stuff a rag in if you don’t have any plugs handy.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot remember if there is a west marine in marathon or if it's in islamorada which is the next big Island up.  Either way it's a short uber or lyft ride.  There is a k mart on Marathon that MAY have the tools you need if you don't have any.  

Marathon bay has a mooring field where you can probably get a spot, there are also a few marina/hotels.  

Worse case scenario you stay there a few extra days waiting on tools and or parts.  If there's a place in the states to be marooned for a few days or weeks id choose Marathon over any other.

Get some take out from herbes.  Try the key lime pie at 7 mile grill.  Bruce's is a great place for a budget lunch.  

All of this is assuming you made it to Marathon(middle keys)  

Long boat ride from Marathon to largo.  100% worth it if you have the fuel and time.  Everglades to tortugas should be on every boaters bucket list.  
  • Options
    If you can find it in Key Largo or Islamorada and need me to bring it to you I will.. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice of Jeff to offer to bring it to you if you can find it. I’d start calling merc dealers tomorrow morning to see if anyone has it in stock. Agree that with some plugs, likely available at west marine, this can be done in the water 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Wow you guys are awesome. I was lucky to find a marina in Key Largo, and they recommended a marine repair guy, John Dawson, I called him and he answered on the weekend and said he would stop by tomorrow morning to look at it. I hope he does. I’m thinking the pump can be rebuilt at least to get extra time out of it while I make it home. That Hardin pump is badass and that’s what id like to get, but they are out of stock. So thinking I’ll get that sooner than later. 

Our plan was to move the boat to St Pete Beach area from Merritt Island, which is where we bought it and instead of going though the Lake Okeechobee lock system, we wanted to make it all the way to key west and even tortugas before shooting up the Florida bay to Captiva for a last stop and then home. Our 10 year anniversary trip had to get cancelled months ago due to this COVID so this was going to be it lol. Obviously this has kind of screwed our schedule big time and we might have to skip most of the lower keys and tortugas.  Oh well...  I’ll keep you guys posted. I sincerely appreciate all the replies and tips and the kindness of all of you. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Good to hear you got in touch with a mechanic and if I were you id at least tell @J3ff I was out of cold beer!  There are some good local beers down there.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wow you guys are awesome. I was lucky to find a marina in Key Largo, and they recommended a marine repair guy, John Dawson, I called him and he answered on the weekend and said he would stop by tomorrow morning to look at it. I hope he does. I’m thinking the pump can be rebuilt at least to get extra time out of it while I make it home. That Hardin pump is badass and that’s what id like to get, but they are out of stock. So thinking I’ll get that sooner than later. 

Our plan was to move the boat to St Pete Beach area from Merritt Island, which is where we bought it and instead of going though the Lake Okeechobee lock system, we wanted to make it all the way to key west and even tortugas before shooting up the Florida bay to Captiva for a last stop and then home. Our 10 year anniversary trip had to get cancelled months ago due to this COVID so this was going to be it lol. Obviously this has kind of screwed our schedule big time and we might have to skip most of the lower keys and tortugas.  Oh well...  I’ll keep you guys posted. I sincerely appreciate all the replies and tips and the kindness of all of you. 
    Let us know how it goes, if he works on I/O's please pass on his number!
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    I’ve used John Dawson before here in Key Largo, Dawson’s Mobile Marine. He’s very knowledgeable and helpful. You’re in good hands.

I’m in Key Largo as well so let me know if you need anything. Good luck!
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    Key Largo party apparently, if you see a rinker with a red white and blue burgee on the front come say hi! 
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Will do! Ím a blue 290EC
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP